Unexplained whirring between 40kph - 80 kph

Beep Beep

Hi All,

Just wanted to get your opinions on something I've noticed recently. There's a steady, but soft whirring at speeds between 40kph and 80kph when I'm on the road. The pitch also varies throughout this range, so I'm thinking that whatever is the source of this whirring noise is directly affected by the speed of the vehicle. I can't hear this noise at speeds greater than 80kph because road and wind noise is more audible at these speeds.

I'm just wondering if this has anything to do with the following :-

• I've just recently increased the running pressures on all 4 tyres from 34psi (warm) to 38psi (warm)
  • I am coming up to my scheduled log book service (15,000 km) service due in about 1,500km.

The noise is more obvious when I'm on very good, smooth, fine (instead of crude & grainy) bitumen at speeds between 40kph and 80kph. The best I can describe it is it's similar to the tyre noise you get when you drive a 4WD with ultra aggressive tread, except it's very very very soft, and it's a gentle whirring.

I'm wondering if it's actually tyre noise due to tread design, excarcerbated by the higher running pressures which makes the tyres less pliable. I've got the standard Michelins which came with the car (Factory rubber).

Apart from this noise, handling and performance appears unaffected. I am however getting a HUGE improvement in fuel consumption after increasing tyre pressures.

Any comments/ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!

Cheers,

BB

Edited by Beep Beep

Could it be the Wheel Bearing/s?

Oh Gawd I hope not..... it's done less than 15,000km from new.... :unsure:

I recently had mine done at 135,000Km.

One of the service guys I was talking to said that they've had vehicles come in at 30,000Km with stuffed Wheel Bearings. Generally it's only one Wheel Bearing (Like Mine) but they recommend replacing both.

Could it be the Wheel Bearing/s?

Oh Gawd I hope not..... it's done less than 15,000km from new.... :unsure:

I recently had mine done at 135,000Km.

One of the service guys I was talking to said that they've had vehicles come in at 30,000Km with stuffed Wheel Bearings. Generally it's only one Wheel Bearing (Like Mine) but they recommend replacing both.

I've also noticed that the noise seems more obvious when turning left at around 40kph - 60kph.

If it is indeed wheel bearings (I would be shocked if this were the case), it would probably be safe to say that this would be resolved under warranty.:blink:

The good news is that it hasn't gotten any louder, or worse. dry.gif

Best way to rule out tyres is to pump them back to the old psi and drive. If you get the same sound it's not the tyres and if it's gone then it's the tyres.

Update :-

Tried that. Still no go. Pressures are now at 34PSI all round but whine is still there.

It's actually gotten louder in my opinion. I can now feel what I can only describe as a distinct, persistent buzz through the steering wheel when I take sweeping lefts on the freeway or on residential streets. It's also very pronounced when on the ramps getting on the freeway (it's a relatively sharp left sweeping turn usually). Right turns are a non issue, so there's DEFINITELY something wrong.

I've booked the car in to be looked at on Monday at City Toyota on Aberdeen St, Northbridge. This is the first available time I could book it in. Even though I'm not due for a service for another 1,000km or so, I think this needs to be looked asap, and from what I've read on the forum, City Toyota has had pretty good things said about them.

So here's hoping City Toyota in Northbridge can fix this!!!! And, since the car is in the shop anyway, they are going to do the regular service too.

It's a bit of a disappointment from what would otherwise be a terrific, awesome car! Hopefully it's only a once off issue.:rolleyes:

Cheers,

BB

• 1 month later...

I just had exactly the same sort of noise checked and it was wheel bearings. 68,000k on the car and already needs wheel bearings. Not impressed.

Just a bit of a belated update.......

The Toyota Tech (the foreman apparently) couldn't figure what or where the noise came from. I hopped in with him for a good spin on the freeway and in around the streets near the service center, and the noise could occasionally be replicated but it was very soft, and its origin was a bit confusing.

I suggested the various possibilities which could cause this eg. bearings, etc, but the response was that it shouldn't be because any previous issues would've have been already been fixed in subsequent models. Mine's a MY 2010 (Sept) build.

Ultimately, we drove back to the service center, and he said the only thing he could suggest was for me to keep driving it normally and monitor it. If it does get worse, or much more audible, then bring it back in. It would be easier for the Techs to then diagnose the issue, and fix it.

Thing is, after the service, the whirring doesn't happen between 40 - 80 kph anymore.......... it now happens between 85 and 100 kph? WTF????

Still getting the strange buzzing sensation through the steering wheel when the whirring happens, but only a very very very slight buzzing, and you don't really notice it unless you're really lookin out for it.

Anyway, I'm just driving around as normal, but I do have to admit it does kinda take the shine off my new car when this happens... .it's an issue, but its not obvious enough for the Techs to pick up and fix it.

:(

Cheers,

BB

I just had exactly the same sort of noise checked and it was wheel bearings. 68,000k on the car and already needs wheel bearings. Not impressed.

but I do have to admit it does kinda take the shine off my new car when this happens... .

:(

Cheers,

BB

Oh I know how you feel mate. It must suck. Someone like me who is OCD about things being perfect (especially when something still new) it really annoys the crap out of you!

I hope you can find the cause and keep us posted on any updates & good luck.

p.s, are you sure it's not wheel bearings like others have said here? Maybe direct those guys at Toyota to this thread :huh: