Minor Accident

Hi All,

I have a 2005 Toyota Camry which I love dearly. This morning I was involved in a very minor accdent other party at fault.

There were very minor surface scratches to the left side of the rear bumper. Also, the left corner of the rear bumper has slightly "came out" and is no longer "flush" to the rest of the car.

Other party has admitted fault and is happy to pay. I would normally just go through insurance since it's easier. Other party is also insured. Would insurance / panel beater think it's too small a job to fix?

Question is, would you guys get this fixed? It's minor enough not to be noticeble when the car is dirty but can be seen if you are looking hard at it. Or I guess after a good wash and wax. I would love to get it fixed coz otherwise I know it'll just keep being on my mind and drives me crazy :S

Edited by mulla

Well:

- You can lodge a claim. If the other party is at fault you can lodge a claim with your insurance company to sort this out. You would not be out of pocket and your car gets fixed up.

- If the damage would cost less than what the other party's excess is (which it sounds like it is), then you can mutually agree for the other person to pay for the repairs to your car and this will save them paying an excess and affecting their no-claims discount/bonus/rating if applicable.

- Leave it... but why would you when you have reason to get it fixed regardless of how minor.

Only thing with option 2 is making sure they pay for the repair. You can initially get them to agree with the repair based on what I mentioned above saying that if they don't choose this option, you will lodge a claim instead. However, the moment you take this option, you are no longer involving the insurance company and if they don't pay, you can't simply just lodge a claim. If it is a good friend though and you are doing this to save them hassle, then there is nothing wrong with this option.

I'm with DJKOR on this. If you can get it fixed without it costing you anything, then why wouldn't you...?

I'd personally go through insurance. You pay them a premium year in year out, and what do you get for it? Basically nothing. Now you have a chance to get something back from them...

Plus, they take care of chasing up the cost of repairs through the other persons insurer. If you take the civil option, such as DJKOR mentioned above, you're leaving yourself very wide open. If they choose not to pay, the only way you'll get a cent out of them is if you take them to court!

Not to mention that the repairs through your insurer may carry a life time guarantee.

I certainly know which option I'd be taking. :D

I would avoid the 2nd option if I were you. Like stated you take a very large risk relying on the other person's decency having them follow through with what they initially promise. I've heard of many cases when the at fault party begs for insurance not to be involved and promises to pay, only to have them deny paying later on, baulking at your repair quotes, denying the damage altogether or sometimes just falling out of contact completely.

With my last car I had an old man open his car door onto mine at a car park (right in front of me) which caused a small scratch, and constantly maintained that "it will buff out" amongst other things even refusing to give me his details. A trip to the cops for refusing to provide his personal info, and then handing his rego to the insurance company quickly got everything sorted in my favor and a resprayed car door out of it.

I shudder to imagine getting it sorted out without the insurer's backing.

Thanks all for the prompt response. Will give the insurance a call and lodge a claim :) The other party was also happy to go through insurance, very civilised about this matter.

Just wanted some reassurance that I'm not the only one that wanted a minor scratch fixed through insurance.

Thanks once again, this forum has always been a great help.

like the others have said, its better to lodge a claim through the insurance company. That way you know that you dont have to do much running around.

Also was the other persons car damaged? if so then their vehicle will also need to be repaired.

Thanks Ronnyboy, other person's car was a bit more severely damage. But also just limited to minor surface scratches (a little more scratched up then me) and the bumper being slightly out of place (slightly more out of place than me).

Edited by mulla

Definately notify yor insurer. Cosmetically it may look A1 but the fittings and mountings may be damaged too. The plastic thingummy (Can't remember the word) in the centre of the bumper can be damaged and render your car unroadworthy

Hope all goes well

• 4 weeks later...

For those that's interested, I've lodged a claim through insurance. Went to the accident repair center, they didn't question about it being so minor (guess if there's work and $ there's no complaint). Got a rear bar respray out of it, fixed up a few other scratches and dints on the rear bar as well :)

Thanks again everyone that's posted.