TRD Aurion 45,000Km Service Report

byw

Just had the 45,000Km service for my TRD Aurion and was shocked to be told that all 4 pads and rotors will need to be replaced. I can understand the pads wearing out, but the rotors after 45,000Kms? According to the service rep the rotors are worn below the minimum thickness and cannot be skimmed and reused. I don't drive my car hard and have purchased it secondhand with 30,000Km on the clock so cannot say how the car was driven before I purchased it. The other shock that I got was the price of the replacement parts. I was quoted a total of $1858.60 for parts only (4 pads and 4 rotors). Front pads were $97.38, rear pads $99.36, a pair of front rotors $751.43 and a pair of rear rotors $910.42.

I thought this must be a mistake and called another dealer to check the prices and was quoted $1976.59 for the same 4 pads and 4 rotors!!

I have read Dave and Secaboy's thread on TRD Brake Options and there is not a lot on offer and the only saving is to go aftermarket with modified front rotors only (stock pads are cheaper than I thought!!) - unfortunately have to go with the ultra expensive stock rear rotors. No matter what option I choose, it's going to be an expensive exercise and hope I don't have to replace all 4 rotors every 45,000Kms!!

I also would like to hear from other TRD Aurion owners on the rate of wear with their pads and rotors and whether they also have to change their rotors. I understand brake wear and tear will depend on the type of driving (eg. city stop/start or country) and how hard you drive the car. Perhaps you can also indicate the type of driving and how hard you tend to drive your TRD with your replies.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Cheers.

Just had the 45,000Km service for my TRD Aurion and was shocked to be told that all 4 pads and rotors will need to be replaced. I can understand the pads wearing out, but the rotors after 45,000Kms? According to the service rep the rotors are worn below the minimum thickness and cannot be skimmed and reused. I don't drive my car hard and have purchased it secondhand with 30,000Km on the clock so cannot say how the car was driven before I purchased it. The other shock that I got was the price of the replacement parts. I was quoted a total of $1858.60 for parts only (4 pads and 4 rotors). Front pads were $97.38, rear pads $99.36, a pair of front rotors $751.43 and a pair of rear rotors $910.42.

I thought this must be a mistake and called another dealer to check the prices and was quoted $1976.59 for the same 4 pads and 4 rotors!!

I have read Dave and Secaboy's thread on TRD Brake Options and there is not a lot on offer and the only saving is to go aftermarket with modified front rotors only (stock pads are cheaper than I thought!!) - unfortunately have to go with the ultra expensive stock rear rotors. No matter what option I choose, it's going to be an expensive exercise and hope I don't have to replace all 4 rotors every 45,000Kms!!

I also would like to hear from other TRD Aurion owners on the rate of wear with their pads and rotors and whether they also have to change their rotors. I understand brake wear and tear will depend on the type of driving (eg. city stop/start or country) and how hard you drive the car. Perhaps you can also indicate the type of driving and how hard you tend to drive your TRD with your replies.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Cheers.

Geez mate that seems abit steep,but then again the premium brake package on a XR series Ford is similar in price.Seems hard to justify;;;;;

ADAMSY is a good bloke to shine the light on prices,durability,life span and so on.He is not only a person of knowledge but what he says comes from hands on experience.He might even be able to get a purchase order and you pick them up from a Toyota dealer in W.A

Hey boys,

Yes unfortunately, rotor and pad wear is not fantastic on high performance brake packages and TRD's PBR sourced one is no different. in my experience Im finding the couple of local TRD's that came from my dealer are getting between 40 and 60,000kms per rotors and pads and are having there rotors machined every two or three services (in fact just recently one couple came to us actually very unhappy about the longevity of the brakes on the 3500S) Unfortunately the Stock pads are a very hard in compound and because of this are quite harsh on the rotor face so quite quickly wear the rotors. Youll notice that even after you wash your wheels after a couple of stops they are black as again? Thats just the type of harsh compound of the standard pads and is the very reason i went else wear when i put the TRD package on my car. i would suggest a move away from the genuine pad (ask to see them and youll notice the harsh compound i speak of) and perhaps go to Greg at GSL rally Sport, most of the TRD's are running the HPX pads and i have just recently received their new pad from RAMSA (to replace the Bendix i currently run) which they promise is a better thing again than the HPX. Other than that the remainder are using the standard pads or EBC pads which are also a good thing. I'm currently running Bendix Street Road Track (SRT) and i wouldnt recommend these, they stop very well but are quite noisy and much like the standard pad create a lot of dust and not real friendly on the rotor albeit not as rough as the stock pads. The only other pad i would recommend if youre not into hard driving/braking and wont a nice quiet pad that wont produce must dust then ferodo have their new multi award winning "thermo-quiet" pad available to TRD and this is the way the customer i mentioned earlier is going to go. They won't have the pedal feel or handle the heat like the other mentioned or the stock ones nor will that provide the same retardation and friction so yeah you'll lose a bit of brake feel and performance but again alot in noise dust and life span so if youre not into hard driving where the maximum brake performance is the go then these could be for you??It's really the rotors where we come un stuck there is a few after market slotted ones about but there designed for the Vette or HSV's so you need some holes drilling in them to make them suit Aurion and unfortunately as it stands there is no aftermarket option for the rears (well there wasnt last time i looked) only other thing i could suggest doing and its not something Ive done it go to PBR and see if they can sell you the rotors. Theres a chance they say no as its made for Toyota blah blah but could be worth a crack?. Ill have a look at the price of the rotors see what can be one. But i do know the rears oddly are dearer than the front :-/ but yes to answer your question your car isnt an odd one out and hasnt really been thrashed too much prior to you owning it. Seems too fall between the kays they are all needing at least pads.

Everything Adamsy said confirms what SupaTouring had said back when he had his TRD. My rotors as well (still original) have quite a bit of wear on them and have quite the lip. Never been machined though and I am up to 76,000km. They are now due for a change and in the next 5,000km or so, I plan to buy some DBA slotted blanks and get them drilled accordingly.

Thanks for the replies guys...

Geez mate that seems abit steep,but then again the premium brake package on a XR series Ford is similar in price.Seems hard to justify;;;;;

You're not wrong, I nearly fell off my chair when the service rep told me the total cost for the pads and rotors.

The only other pad i would recommend if you’re not into hard driving/braking and wont a nice quiet pad that won’t produce must dust then ferodo have their new multi award winning "thermo-quiet" pad available to TRD and this is the way the customer i mentioned earlier is going to go.

Where can you get these "thermo-quiet" pads and do you know how much they cost?

I’ll have a look at the price of the rotors see what can be one. But i do know the rears oddly are dearer than the front

Thanks - I and other TRD Aurion owners would be interested to see whether these stock rotors can be purchased for a cheaper price.

but yes to answer your question your car isn’t an odd one out and hasn’t really been thrashed too much prior to you owning it. Seems too fall between the kays they are all needing at least pads.

It's a relief that I am not the odd one out with faster than usual rotor wear, however, I am still surprised that they only lasted 45,000Kms with the stock pads - I guess more profit for Toyota given that there is no aftermarket alternative for the rear rotors and TRD owners are forced to pay stupidly high prices for them!!

I plan to buy some DBA slotted blanks and get them drilled accordingly.

Are the DBA slotted blanks suitable for the front only? Do you know how much these slotted blank rotors cost?

The Thermo Quiets are a Ferodo Pad so Super cheap Auto could source them for you but i think you may be able to pick them up cheaper from a good Auto store like Repco, Bursons etc, my local store even has them in stock lol and i got a few prices ranging from $84.00-$104.00 so worst case around the same price as genuine pads.

Here’s some more info on them mate.

http://www.ferodo.co.uk/ferodo_web/thermoquiet.aspx

The Thermo Quiets are a Ferodo Pad so Super cheap Auto could source them for you but i think you may be able to pick them up cheaper from a good Auto store like Repco, Bursons etc, my local store even has them in stock lol and i got a few prices ranging from $84.00-$104.00 so worst case around the same price as genuine pads.

Here’s some more info on them mate.

http://www.ferodo.co.uk/ferodo_web/thermoquiet.aspx

Thanks for the info - they're about the same price as the stock pads and hopefully a bit gentler on the rotors. :D

Cheers.

go to Greg at GSL rally Sport, most of the TRD's are running the HPX pads and i have just recently received their new pad from RAMSA (to replace the Bendix i currently run) which they promise is a better thing again than the HPX.

It's Remsa :P

And yep, they're a phenomenally good pad for the money. Rated to 650 degrees (100 degrees better than Bendix Ultimate or QFM HPX), whilst having features like relief grooves and shamfers in the pad material that the HPX do not. Remsa is what we've been supplying to high performance street road cars like Porsche and Ferrari for many years (where noise and rotor wear simply isn't acceptable), but the pricing has now become such that we're now able to expand it to most road cars. Remsa to suit TRD Aurion are $105 for the front, and $79 for the rear.

Edited by gslrallysport

go to Greg at GSL rally Sport, most of the TRD's are running the HPX pads and i have just recently received their new pad from RAMSA (to replace the Bendix i currently run) which they promise is a better thing again than the HPX.

It's Remsa :P

And yep, they're a phenomenally good pad for the money. Rated to 650 degrees (100 degrees better than Bendix Ultimate or QFM HPX), whilst having features like relief grooves and shamfers in the pad material that the HPX do not. Remsa is what we've been supplying to high performance street road cars like Porsche and Ferrari for many years (where noise and rotor wear simply isn't acceptable), but the pricing has now become such that we're now able to expand it to most road cars. Remsa to suit TRD Aurion are $105 for the front, and $79 for the rear.

LOL i totally just went and checked the packaging to make sure and yerp sorry guys I’ve failed you my bad lucky Greg is on the scene haha.

i can say that they certainly look and feel the part and a much nicer compound than the stock pad. I’ll be slipping mine in sometime this month when i get the car serviced I’ll report back once there in.

BYW,

i am in perth and have a spare set of pads both front and rear for my TRD 3500s which i bought from GSL rally sport... car is on 42000km and the pads are needing to get done soon.. if u need them asap, u r quite welcome to use them as long as you order me a replacement set!!

i was dealing with them via email and had mentioned that most of us are getting to the stage where we will be needing new rotors... would it be wise to approach them with a group buy or something??? get them machined up etc....???

food for thought..

BYW,

i am in perth and have a spare set of pads both front and rear for my TRD 3500s which i bought from GSL rally sport... car is on 42000km and the pads are needing to get done soon.. if u need them asap, u r quite welcome to use them as long as you order me a replacement set!!

i was dealing with them via email and had mentioned that most of us are getting to the stage where we will be needing new rotors... would it be wise to approach them with a group buy or something??? get them machined up etc....???

food for thought..

BYW,

food for thought..

Hi retro,

Thanks for your kind offer, I think I should be okay for a few more k's, like you said, it's the rotors (or the cost of them, particularly the rear ones) that seem to be the problem. There are plenty of options for pads and given the trouble/cost of sourcing rotors, my next set of pad selection will be largely based on the least amount of rotor wear.

Great idea on a TRD Aurion GB for rotors - only if someone can arrange for the front ones to be drilled/elongated and the hub locator ring machined.... I spoke to Greg of GSL RallySport yesterday and he said he was looking into them for us and will post up something soon. :D

Cheers.

sorry for the multiple post..

my antivirus keeps blocking webpages... grrrr....

BYW... i need rotors front and back so i am up for it... thats you and me in perth.... i'll see what i can arrange.. GSL rally sport.. you guys on here???

Edited by retro

sorry for the multiple post..

my antivirus keeps blocking webpages... grrrr....

BYW... i need rotors front and back so i am up for it... thats you and me in perth.... i'll see what i can arrange.. GSL rally sport.. you guys on here???

Got another quote from a different Toyota Dealer and his prices are a lot more reasonable:

Front Rotors - $311.08 each (inclusive of GST)

Rear Rotors - $385.00 each (inclusive of GST)

Front Pads - $77.13 pair (inclusive of GST)

Rear Pads - $90.17 pair (inclusive of GST)

OH OH if Greg can come up with a slotted option for rotors i vote we give him hero status haha

i have emailed greg..

with a link to here.....

byw, that price sounds like for standard aurion rotors??? where was that from??? send me a pm with your number, i might give u a call...

just slapped my computer around for the last few hours..

hopefully this post appears once

byw, that price sounds like for standard aurion rotors???

These prices are for the TRD rotors - they emailed me the quote with the part numbers. You may have missed the fact that I quoted the prices for each rotor and you'll need to double it for each end. :lol:

Will PM you my number.

Cheers.

yeah guys those prices do sound pretty right to me for the front rotors, rears were more expensive as were the calliper :unsure:

&& yes hero status is pending haha slotted rotors would go nicely with my new braided lines :)

yeah guys those prices do sound pretty right to me for the front rotors, rears were more expensive as were the calliper :unsure:

&& yes hero status is pending haha slotted rotors would go nicely with my new braided lines :)

hey guys..

i havent heard from anyone , sooo, car is booked in this afternoon... the local guys here who machine disks from blank ebc rotors will look into this... i will get a price for front and rear rotors + pads if anyone needs them...

if anyone is interested in a group buy, give me a hoy.. besides BYW here in perth.. does anyone need TRD rotors front and rears???

cheers

retro.. byw, will give u a call as soon as i know.

hey guys..

i havent heard from anyone , sooo, car is booked in this afternoon... the local guys here who machine disks from blank ebc rotors will look into this... i will get a price for front and rear rotors + pads if anyone needs them...

if anyone is interested in a group buy, give me a hoy.. besides BYW here in perth.. does anyone need TRD rotors front and rears???

cheers

retro.. byw, will give u a call as soon as i know.

Thanks Retro, hope you can update us with some good news. :D

Well boys and girls, we fitted up the ferodo thermoquiets today slotted straight in very nicely (as you would expect lol) took it for a drive and it was very quiet. no squeals vibrations through the pedal or anything and no dust on the wheels after we had finished and we gave it several large quite hard stops to both test for nice etc and to bed them in. pedal feel and actual retardation didn’t feel as strong as it is in my car but was still very good better than i was expecting so should keep the customer happy whilst producing less noise dust, rotor wear and last longer. I’ve asked the customer to come straight back to me if they have any dramas but i shall follow up with them in a couple of days to confirm all is good in the world.

On a side note, god please don’t let the TRDs tyres get down to wear indicators this one was and was a dog to drive may as well being on slicks in the rain, felt quite dangerous to be in and I’m not even talking about driving silly this was just driving away from traffic lights and turning right at the crest of a hill when was stationary waiting for traffic to clear so the turn right on the new street could be made. Never knew if it was going to go or just sit there spinning till TRC did something. NOT GOOD

post-22164-0-63980200-1302825765_thumb.j post-22164-0-31869500-1302825819_thumb.j post-22164-0-96697200-1302825869_thumb.j post-22164-0-63006400-1302825984_thumb.jpost-22164-0-94345200-1302826127_thumb.j post-22164-0-14344600-1302826230_thumb.jpost-22164-0-55290500-1302826291_thumb.j post-22164-0-49844700-1302826381_thumb.j

Ok guys.. well, yesterday was interesting.... these guys do alot of custom brake solutions for all sorts of cars.. drag cars, trikes... hot rods etc....

as stated elsehwhere in the forum i think....

front rotors = Ford, BA-BF model... except for the stud positions... the boys did sling on to the front rhs side of my car some 6pot wilwood calipers with HUGE rotors which took them all of about 4 mins... they did this before i could get any pics of it.. looked great, but KACHIIING $$$ !!!!

rear rotors disc are a bit of a strange one.. They are holden, commodore type.. but the problem is the handbrake area... nothing major according to the boys as it can be machined out to suit... they spent alot of time measuring all the clearances for the rear... they would enquire this morning... they rang a supplier and the front are generally done with BLANK BF EBC rotors and are drilled to suit... my discs are slotted , where the wheel studs are, and u guessed it, with the track driving, they are shot.... so are the rears... thanks BYW!!!! :huh:

they will get back to me either today or next monday....

BYW i showed them the city toyota quote... they said for that kind of money, they could supply some BIGGER aftermarket calipers and bigger discs for cheaper all round!!! hence why they tried the wilwood set to see whether the rims would clear it... and they do

thats all i have for now....

enjoy the pics for those who dont have the pleasures of a TRD aurion brake headache!!!

fyi, the owner of the brake place had a evo10 as his everyday drive.. i took his car for a spin and he took the aurion.. (he had heard about these cars but had never seen one) he said he loved it.. especially after the 4000rpm range... he said the VVT, supercharger combo in any of the gears was brilliant... for a daily driver, family & work car.. better then any FPV or HSV he had driven... Evo was great.. but was too clinical... and didnt understeer when pushed!! :angry:

BYW i showed them the city toyota quote... they said for that kind of money, they could supply some BIGGER aftermarket calipers and bigger discs for cheaper all round!!! hence why they tried the wilwood set to see whether the rims would clear it... and they do

How much bigger are we talking. May be interested.

How much bigger are we talking. May be interested.

the wilwoods were for a FPVv8. not sure which model... they are looking into this as another option as well. i think, and i could be wrong.. they were 400mm???? for the fronts...

they guys have all the measurements... its just a matter of working it out now... i too said i may be interested with the bigger option if possible... but i said other members were getting to the same spot where new discs were needed... any preference for brand DJKOR?? they said wilwood was the most $$$ i think DBR or something were not too bad...

i'll let u guys know as soon as i know.