TRD Aurion 45,000Km Service Report

byw

What pads are you planning to run with the new rotors?

I have teamed them up with a Remsa brand brake pad available from GSL Rallysport for $105 per front set. The decision to choose this over what I was originally planning (QFM HP-X) is due to the following reply I got from Gred at GSL:

Front HPX pads we've phased out in favor of a better performance street pad. It's a European performance pad called Remsa, which is rated to 650 degrees (versus 550 for the HPX), whilst still being low dust and rotor wear. Also the Remsa come with noise reducing features such as a relief groove and shamfers in the pad material, all of which the HPX do not come with. We've been supplying Remsa to high performance street road cars like Porsche and Ferrari for many years, but the pricing has now become such that we're now able to expand it to most road cars. Remsa to suit the front of TRD Aurion is $105 for the set. We could still order the HPX but there may be a delay for manufacture etc.

After initial high speed bedding-in, the pads sure do feel like they would perform better than the HP-X pads. At the early stages of bedding-in, these Remsa pads are already feeling like they are providing equivalent ability to the EBC Redstuff I was previously using... and there is still more room for them to bed-in completely. I reckon these will end up being quite a good pad. They also have quite some bite when cold so overall, I'm quite satisfied.

What pads are you planning to run with the new rotors?

I have teamed them up with a Remsa brand brake pad available from GSL Rallysport for $105 per front set. The decision to choose this over what I was originally planning (QFM HP-X) is due to the following reply I got from Gred at GSL:

Front HPX pads we've phased out in favor of a better performance street pad. It's a European performance pad called Remsa, which is rated to 650 degrees (versus 550 for the HPX), whilst still being low dust and rotor wear. Also the Remsa come with noise reducing features such as a relief groove and shamfers in the pad material, all of which the HPX do not come with. We've been supplying Remsa to high performance street road cars like Porsche and Ferrari for many years, but the pricing has now become such that we're now able to expand it to most road cars. Remsa to suit the front of TRD Aurion is $105 for the set. We could still order the HPX but there may be a delay for manufacture etc.

After initial high speed bedding-in, the pads sure do feel like they would perform better than the HP-X pads. At the early stages of bedding-in, these Remsa pads are already feeling like they are providing equivalent ability to the EBC Redstuff I was previously using... and there is still more room for them to bed-in completely. I reckon these will end up being quite a good pad. They also have quite some bite when cold so overall, I'm quite satisfied.

Wow that looks amazing, must be very happy with those!, what did it cost you in the end? And yeah you'll be quite happy with Remsa, great pad, great technology and even better great price!

so did Craig do the redrill and rings?

He sure did. Andrew did the dealings with him, but from what I heard, he was a top bloke.

... what did it cost you in the end?

$655 for the rotors, pads, re-drilling, and hub rings.

Are there any other TRD Aurion owners here that can give there input? Have you had to change your rotors to and if so how many km's?

Around 35,000km to 45,000km seems to be the norm with the TRD's. Just because they wear down this quick doesn't necessarily translate to aggressive driving. SupaTouring and SecaBoy both had TRD's which had their rotors wear at the typical rate for these cars and I wouldn't say that their cars were treated badly. Remember, a lot of city driving can easily accelerate the wear as well since there is a lot of start stop. So those first 14,000km your TRD went through may not have been as harsh as you may think.

In addition to that, I feel the pads on these 'drag' quite a bit more than what I would call normal. Just go driving slowly next to a wall or something and you can hear the pads dragging on the rotors a little.

Hi Peeps,

I agree with 'DLKOR' on the Kms, I love the way the TRD goes and STOPS hehe. My TRD has just hit 90K, right on Q (first rotor replace 45K) the front Brakes hit the limit tab. If im going to have to replace the rotors again, I have removed the limit tab from the pad and using the whole pad until it starts to squeek metal on rotors again thats for sure.

I will let every 1 know how i go with my after market shopping In Perth. I am leaning towards a similar rotor /blank to modify and suit the TRD(as toyota have done with the genuine rotors). Whilst drilling the stud PCD they may as well slot the face too. Slotted and drilled would look sweet on the TRD.

On the group buy subject, buying 500 rotors from china the correct size(not modified) should be acheivable, and cheep.

I will post my expensive and traumatic brakes replacement experience sometime very soon, maybe 1-2months.

well.. an update...

just got off the phone to BYW and our front rotors will be ready in a week with no redrilling required and no slots where the studs are either.. we have both opted to wait till the rears are ready... then get them done in one hit....

so, not having met BYW yet, once again, taking "stranger danger " to a new level...

will post up pics once done... both byw and myself have been sworn to "secret TRD mens business" until the excercise has been completed.

heading off to sydney to work for the next 2 weeks.. so not much will happen till i get back.

Are there any other TRD Aurion owners here that can give there input? Have you had to change your rotors to and if so how many km's?

Around 35,000km to 45,000km seems to be the norm with the TRD's. Just because they wear down this quick doesn't necessarily translate to aggressive driving. SupaTouring and SecaBoy both had TRD's which had their rotors wear at the typical rate for these cars and I wouldn't say that their cars were treated badly. Remember, a lot of city driving can easily accelerate the wear as well since there is a lot of start stop. So those first 14,000km your TRD went through may not have been as harsh as you may think.

In addition to that, I feel the pads on these 'drag' quite a bit more than what I would call normal. Just go driving slowly next to a wall or something and you can hear the pads dragging on the rotors a little.

Hi Peeps,

I agree with 'DLKOR' on the Kms, I love the way the TRD goes and STOPS hehe. My TRD has just hit 90K, right on Q (first rotor replace 45K) the front Brakes hit the limit tab. If im going to have to replace the rotors again, I have removed the limit tab from the pad and using the whole pad until it starts to squeek metal on rotors again thats for sure.

I will let every 1 know how i go with my after market shopping In Perth. I am leaning towards a similar rotor /blank to modify and suit the TRD(as toyota have done with the genuine rotors). Whilst drilling the stud PCD they may as well slot the face too. Slotted and drilled would look sweet on the TRD.

On the group buy subject, buying 500 rotors from china the correct size(not modified) should be acheivable, and cheep.

I will post my expensive and traumatic brakes replacement experience sometime very soon, maybe 1-2months.

Hey TRD269,

Group buy may be unecessary as a few aftermarket option may be available in the near futire with retro/byw working with RDA and now I have a secret project going myself. I was actually just to lazy to investigate aftermarket rotors and just opted to go the PBR ones again. Turns out the company that I was going to get them from have extremely close ties with DBA for the past 20 years to the point where they know the directors personally and have helped DBA export their rotors etc. I have dealt with them before for Hilux related stuff and they are the best! I have provided them with sizes, pbr part numbers for cross reference and as much information I could find... this weekend I am taking off one of the rear rotors to double check exact dimensions. So DBA 4000 series slotted rotors front and rear could be appearing on my car soon. Like you though... this could still be a couple months down the track but I will keep this forum updated.

Dan

• 2 months later...

Called the Ebay Seller to enquire about the rear rotors and he confirmed with RDA that there are none in stock. :(

He has taken the Ebay ad for the rears off for now. He said he'll give me a call once he finds out the availablilty of the rear rotors.

• 2 weeks later...

On the weekend, retro and myself arranged to have the front rotors & pads replaced. We had the front rotors delivered from RDA for over a month and just cannot arrange a day to get both cars done at the same time due to work and interstate trips etc. :blink:

Attached are some of the photos of the new front rotors. Hopefully, we'll hear from RDA about the rears soon! :P

post-11199-0-64910600-1314608523_thumb.j

post-11199-0-19300800-1314608533_thumb.j

post-11199-0-02751400-1314608543_thumb.j

post-11199-0-64945300-1314608551_thumb.j

Judging from the fact that it still has a hub ring on it, it would seem that they have based them on the C5 blanks and just drilled them. Not that it matters, I just though they would have had a new rotor without the need for the ring (ie. save just that little bit more per rotor... a $15 saving per rotor isn't something I'd turn down).

I hope they hurry with those rears. I'm up to 106,000km and I don't know how much longer I can go for.

On the weekend, retro and myself arranged to have the front rotors & pads replaced. We had the front rotors delivered from RDA for over a month and just cannot arrange a day to get both cars done at the same time due to work and interstate trips etc. :blink:

Attached are some of the photos of the new front rotors. Hopefully, we'll hear from RDA about the rears soon! :P

awesome pics BYW.. good to finally take stranger danger to a new level... can you email me those pics?? i'll get a ETA on the rear rotors once i have those pics.. DJKOR.. these are just a intermediate solution for us that needed then ASAP and did not want to pay the toyota prices... i am now MR cool with my son with the rotors on.. foooly sick maaaate.

can you email me those pics??

Full size photos sent....

doode.. we forgot to take the pics of the TRD's together.... doh!!! :( :(

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

After reading this and a few other threads I looked up Greg and the boys at GSL Rally sport and went for the DBA4000 with Remsa front and rear pads.

I could only get the front rotors at this point in time but will be getting the rears in Jan when they become available in Aus again.

I fitted them last week and they are very nice indeed. Not only do they look good but they perform very well.

I still need to bed them in properly but a nice road trip when I install typhoon today is on the cards I think.

As you can see by the pics I also have new P zeros on as well. They handle 10000000% better than the dunlop super sports.

post-26241-0-18044500-1322428172_thumb.j

post-26241-0-28757900-1322428466_thumb.j

Hey all,

After reading this and a few other threads I looked up Greg and the boys at GSL Rally sport and went for the DBA4000 with Remsa front and rear pads.

I could only get the front rotors at this point in time but will be getting the rears in Jan when they become available in Aus again.

I fitted them last week and they are very nice indeed. Not only do they look good but they perform very well.

I still need to bed them in properly but a nice road trip when I install typhoon today is on the cards I think.

As you can see by the pics I also have new P zeros on as well. They handle 10000000% better than the dunlop super sports.

Hey mate

I also got a pair of dba 4000 slotted front rotors. i've attached a pic of the ones i got, just wondering are they like the ones you bought? i remember the dba 4000 slotted looked different on the dba site

DBA4000 Slotted

the slotted pattern looks slightly different to the ones i bought.

i cant view the pics you posted on my phone.

Cheers

post-26087-0-35051000-1323050752_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

its official gents,

we have been working with RDA for some rotors for the TRD aurions and here are the part numbers

The RDA part numbers are:

RDA8050 Front Solid

RDA8050S Front Slotted

RDA8050G Front Slotted, dimpled and gold passivated

RDA8051 Rear Solid

RDA8051S Rear Slotted

RDA8051G Rear Slotted, dimpled and gold passivated

so you will need to head to your local RDA distributor to source them. its a damn site cheaper alternative to the genuine toyota ones!!!

yes its taken awhile, but i have to say, RDA moved on this very, very quickly in terms of me writing angry to the masses of brake distributors. they were the only ones that were able to offer a solution.

Rear rotors are in stock and are ready to start shipping...

DJKOR, if you want to start a new thread with the above part numbers, feel free.. to the TRD AURION Brethren, we have come through for you guys!!! and all it took was some clown from western australia to do it :)