Rolla Accessories

The T-Sport one is nice but it kinda sucks how its is predominantly in MPH and KMPH is smaller. But I guess that suits the UK.

So are these available at a realistic Australian price?

Anyone know if it would be "plug-out, plug-in" installation?

You'd assume that it would be, being that the positioning of the kp/h markings are in the same place as they are on our cars, just smaller.

To my knowlege, there is no reasonable excuse as to why they would re-wire the instrument cluster. If they made them all the same, then they can chop and change them depending on where they sold the cars to.

Steve - Are you able to get an image of the plugs in the back of the T-Sport one from anywhere. I think I have an image here somewhere of what our's look like.

It would be nice if these fit as easy as we think, would add a nice highlight to the interior, would match my white car nicely too.

What about kms on the odometer? Would that reset or stay as it is recorded?

Anyone know much about all this?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I am wrng anybody please, but I was under the impression that with 'modern' cars with electronic odometers and ECU's in them, that the memory of the odometer is actually recorded in the ECU as this would mean simply switching an instrument cluster would 'wind the clock back' - a highly illegal activity.

Correct me if I am wrng anybody please, but I was under the impression that with 'modern' cars with electronic odometers and ECU's in them, that the memory of the odometer is actually recorded in the ECU as this would mean simply switching an instrument cluster would 'wind the clock back' - a highly illegal activity.

Hang on, if its stored in the ECU like you say, then wouldnt those figure relay back to the new cluster when installed? Therefore leaving your odometer at the same reading?

Hang on, if its stored in the ECU like you say, then wouldnt those figure relay back to the new cluster when installed? Therefore leaving your odometer at the same reading?

That's what I am saying.

The second part of the sentence...

as this would mean simply switching an instrument cluster would 'wind the clock back' - a highly illegal activity.

is meant as an example

Correct me if I am wrng anybody please, but I was under the impression that with 'modern' cars with electronic odometers and ECU's in them, that the memory of the odometer is actually recorded in the ECU otherwise simply switching an instrument cluster would 'wind the clock back' - a highly illegal activity.

I understand what Azza's saying, but I think the mod I've made to his statement will make it a little clearer.

Just like a Corolla, Azza's words are great as they come from the factory, but add a few little mods and watch out! :lol:

Just like a Corolla, Azza's words are great as they come from the factory, but add a few little mods and watch out!  :lol:

Yeah - just wait for the furry sik blow off valve mate - sik

Well, if anyone here has time on their hands, take our the cluster, and try to open it to find any sort of "memory" like chip. Because then perhaps the odometer info is stuck there which would mean we can't swap cluster without losing the correct odo reading.

But has anyone tried ringing up a parts & service centre and ask if we change a cluster, would we lose the odometer. Play dumb or something and say u like the Levin cluster rather then the Ascent.

If the odometer reading is stored in the ECU or some other seperate computer chip, then all is fine and i wouldn't mind getting the white dash from the UK, looks freaking hot.

Well, if anyone here has time on their hands, take our the cluster, and try to open it to find any sort of "memory" like chip. Because then perhaps the odometer info is stuck there which would mean we can't swap cluster without losing the correct odo reading.

But has anyone tried ringing up a parts & service centre and ask if we change a cluster, would we lose the odometer. Play dumb or something and say u like the Levin cluster rather then the Ascent.

If the odometer reading is stored in the ECU or some other seperate computer chip, then all is fine and i wouldn't mind getting the white dash from the UK, looks freaking hot.

I did have time on my hands and I have taken the cluster apart and there is a myriad of memory chips and capacitors on the circuit board, although most of these would be used for light controls etc.

Just like a Corolla, Azza's words are great as they come from the factory, but add a few little mods and watch out!   :lol:

Yeah - just wait for the furry sik blow off valve mate - sik

Really? And here we were thinking you just had bad sinus! :P

• 4 weeks later...