Crazy intake idea

Hey guys,

i was just staring at the BIG opening on the left side of the engine bay behind the lights and am now playing with the idea of a dual intake.

I'm thinking this will Y junction out after the MAF sensor.

What do you guys think?

my theory is even if overall air flow is still about the same. the temp and density will be different ... but that may be just my engineering getting a bit rusty.

oh... on that note, any one have a wrecked rolla that can donate stuff to me for this experiment? most particularly i'm thinking of a stock Air box and that silicon pipe that attaches it to the TB.

have been toying with this idea for a long long time.. just ask.. i just have to get a y or f pipe and add it to the TRD CAI and attach two filters.. your ideas were the same as mine.. let us know how you go if you get it done before me..

I think you'll add weight for no appreciable increase in air flow. Modern intakes (yes, even stock ones) have very little restriction to flow due to the airbox and filter element. In our cars, the restriction is mostly due to the convoluted and narrow plastic tubing before the airbox.

The CAIs are effective not because they replace the box and filter but also the narrow diameter pipeage before it with big flowing and mandrel bent tube all the way to the pod.

That being said, go for it....

lets say .....

two pods attached to the TRD cold air intake.. all you are doing is adding potential cleaner colder air. although i understand that the engine can only except a certain amount of air.

i just need to find the right piece of pipe to do this ontop of the CAI..

ok boys, last night I bought a wrx (yes a wrx) CAI kit and used the front bit of the pipe as a short ram intake... so i've got the other bit of pipe and an extra pod now. thsi dual intake thing is going to happen... i just need one more throttle body pipe! anybody?