Aurion for towing?

menco

Hi everyone just joined the forums as I am looking at getting another toyota. I use to have a V6 camry a while ago and it was a great reliable car.

I am now looking at getting an Aurion either the sx6 or touring. But I just want to know how they go with towing? Are the gearboxes pretty reliable? I only need to tow a small 4m tinny and a golf cart. Any help or experiences would be great.

Ideally I would buy a Prado or Rav4 V6 however the budget wont stretch far enough to atleast get an 04 model that I would like.

Also how easy is it to change to standard stereo on the 07-08 model Aurions? Can you buy dash inserts to replace the standard stereo to put in your own?

Thanks alot

Edited by menco

Hi Mate welcome to the forum. The Aurion should have plenty of power and torque to tow a 4mt tinny, I used to tow one with a Hyundai Excel :) As for the stereo there are tonnes of aftermarket units on ebay that are direct fit for the original or there are facias available so you can use a standard single din unit. Good luck with finding a suitable car but you wont be disappointed with the Aurion.

Hi Menco,

I tow an enclosed go kart trailer that would weigh around 1200kg fully loaded with my 2007 ZR6. We do about 12000km per year going to races from Adelaide to Melbourne. We have gone as far as Sydney and have had no problems with the Aurion towing. What I have found though, is I get much better fuel economy if I tow in 4th gear. I sit on 100kph and there is plenty of power to overtake.

Also how easy is it to change to standard stereo on the 07-08 model Aurions? Can you buy dash inserts to replace the standard stereo to put in your own?

Thanks alot

19 pages of reading for you :lol:

Thanks for the replies. Good to hear that you can tow a go kart with it no problems as I was hoping to get into this in the near future. Ill be sure to let you all know if i find a good one to buy :)

Hi Mate, i tow a 750Kg trailer, and the Aurion has no problems what so ever. The gearbox is the best as it changes on inclimbs and stays. Very reliable unlike me old ford. All i needed was a weight dristribution bar to support the rear of the car as it's front wheel drive. But otherwise I reccomend it for towing. It is awesome !!!!

Hi,

I tow a 1.4Ton camper around no issues. Like others I have placed the weight distribution bars on there to help piont the nose down, especcially when it get's off road.

If you take it easy, you can get 14L/100km out of it but 15Ltrs is more realistic. The tinny, you won't notice it.

Standard tow bar is rated for 1600kg, trailer only.

Enjoy.

Do most people here just have the standard Toyota towbar or Hayman Reese?

Where do you find weight distribution bars to suit?

Hayman reese is a good towbar. Look up for a Hayman Reese supplier in your local area, they will have distribution bars, towbars and heaps more.

i had a Parkside Towbar (Reece Hitch Style) fitted here in Perth @ $859 and i haven't had any issues with towing the car drives smoothly :D

I called up the local Pedders for pricing today and they also suggested an ECU to save the cars electrical wiring from overloading due to the trailer. Ive never heard of this but then again im a diesel mechanic not a car mechanic. Anyone had something similar to this fitted?

Is it also worth looking into getting an oil cooler?

Edited by menco

My wiring is all standard. The trailer has LED lights and electric brakes. I have never had a problem.

I think a trans cooler is a good idea and I should get one, but I do not know if you would need it to tow a tinny. We travel about 6-8 hours to most race meets and if I tow in drive, when we stop the trans is ticking due to the heat. If I tow in 4th it normally does not, all though it did last trip. I tow at 100kph which is 3000RPM in 4th.