LIFT with Stage 2 Piper Cams

Ok, so I'm thinking of upgrading to stage 3 piper or MWR cams with an aftermarket ecu. If I was to go ahead with the upgrade would I still feel "LIFT" or will it just zoom up 2 the redline smoothly?? (Ps. Anyone running the stg 2 cams & aftr mrkt ecu setup? & how does your car go?)

Once tuned the transition is very smooth, the way it should be. Feels like Toyota purposly tuned a kick in power curve to make it feel like it gave mroe power than it does. The cams improve the smoothness as the lower cam lobe is more agressive than stock, thus reducing the difference between the two profiles.

Thanks SD! Would u say having the tuned stage 2 cams in ur stivo makes a big noticeable difference? And being more fun than having that feeling @ lift?

with stage 2 u ge more response down low sacrificing top end power. good for zipping around in stop and start traffic.

with stage 3 u get more higher end power but at the cost of lower end.

depends what you want

Some testing I did had me doing 0-100 about 0.4s quicker than stock. Hardly earth shaking stuff, but that is about 11m ahead of stock. The extra torque between 4000 and 7000 rpm is great, it is a little boggy below 2000 rpm, but between 2000 and 3500 rpm it matches stock pretty much. Stgae 3 cams are better for gains above 7500 rpm, but the downside is the extra expense of valve trian upgrades.

with stage 2 u ge more response down low sacrificing top end power. good for zipping around in stop and start traffic.

depends what you want

Gee, if only they made a set of cams with these combined qualities. Smh. The stage 2 cams seem appealing (according to Dyno figures shown by MWR) as it provides some extra torque which the stivo very much needs. I will be using the car on the street, most driving on weekends but also would like to have a worthy vehicle to race at te track. My goal is to turn this car into a little beast :) but keeping n/a 4 now (p's, fml) & not going too overboard esp in terms of $. What set up r u running?

stock internals, stock ecu (i like the idea of the stock ecu adjusting itself), cai, and axle back exhaust. will go for full cat back later on in the year to mate with my varex i have on now. not touching internals until my engine blows up

Some testing I did had me doing 0-100 about 0.4s quicker than stock. Hardly earth shaking stuff, but that is about 11m ahead of stock. The extra torque between 4000 and 7000 rpm is great, it is a little boggy below 2000 rpm, but between 2000 and 3500 rpm it matches stock pretty much. Stgae 3 cams are better for gains above 7500 rpm, but the downside is the extra expense of valve trian upgrades.

Really? I would have thought that these stg 2 cams would turn the stock stivo into a totally different car. How much kw are you producing atw, & were ur Dyno results close to the ones shown on MWR for stg 2 piper cams tuned?

The tivos already have a big can I would say do exhaust and headers I think you will see more of a power gain imwould seriously only consider cams if I was gonna rebuild it with new ecu, head work and probably adding a turbo I dont know just my opinion......

depends what you want

both stage 2 and 3 cams have teh same low cam grindings, the stage 3 cams have a more agressive grinding that requires more RMSs to use properly, hence why there is more top end gain with the stage 3s.

I'll let you know the Stage 3 results when I get my setup up and running.

Really? I would have thought that these stg 2 cams would turn the stock stivo into a totally different car. How much kw are you producing atw, & were ur Dyno results close to the ones shown on MWR for stg 2 piper cams tuned?

A picture says a thousand words. Without engine management the stage 2 cams follow the PowerFC curve.

cams.jpg

The tivos already have a big can I would say do exhaust and headers I think you will see more of a power gain imwould seriously only consider cams if I was gonna rebuild it with new ecu, head work and probably adding a turbo I dont know just my opinion......

To me the stock cam profile indicate the intake side of the engine is restrictive. DDPerformance research's intake manifold sees good gains to back this up. Obviously exhaust mods give gains, but the intake modifications give more.

Get you headers ported, cat back exhaust and throw in a CAI. Then once you have real cash do cams and rods, valve train etc.

Headers, cat back and CAI netted me 123kw atw on my sportivo with 113000k's on the clock. I had CES headers, cat back and a TRD cai with ITG filter.

Get you headers ported, cat back exhaust and throw in a CAI. Then once you have real cash do cams and rods, valve train etc.

Headers, cat back and CAI netted me 123kw atw on my sportivo with 113000k's on the clock. I had CES headers, cat back and a TRD cai with ITG filter.

Yeah I've got Hurricane extractors/2.5" piping w/ highflow cat & a Simota Twin Charger CAI, it goes but Im bored now so I want it to go harder if u know what I mean - 1.5 yrs until I get my full license.

A picture says a thousand words. Without engine management the stage 2 cams follow the PowerFC curve.

cams.jpg

How do these results compare to MWR dyno results ?Sorry Dave my net data is sloww, & Also r these cams really worth it in ur opinion?

To me the stock cam profile indicate the intake side of the engine is restrictive. DDPerformance research's intake manifold sees good gains to back this up. Obviously exhaust mods give gains, but the intake modifications give more.

How do these results compare to MWR dyno results ?Sorry Dave my net data is sloww, & Also r these cams really worth it in ur opinion?

I don't think the gains match what MWR publish, but then again MWR had CAI and full exhaust on their car to show up the gains, I don't. If you run on the stock ECU, don't bother, if you can put a programmable ECU in there then the gains are good. At about 6000 rpm I have a 15kW gain over stock. The graph doesn't look as impressive as it drives though (when driven hard).

It's hard to recommend one way or the other with such a major modification. Depends on what you are trying to get out of the car. But if money can extend to valve train upgrades the stage 3 cams are meant to be much better. If you want plenty of low end go, stay with stock.

I don't think the gains match what MWR publish, but then again MWR had CAI and full exhaust on their car to show up the gains, I don't. If you run on the stock ECU, don't bother, if you can put a programmable ECU in there then the gains are good. At about 6000 rpm I have a 15kW gain over stock. The graph doesn't look as impressive as it drives though (when driven hard).

It's hard to recommend one way or the other with such a major modification. Depends on what you are trying to get out of the car. But if money can extend to valve train upgrades the stage 3 cams are meant to be much better. If you want plenty of low end go, stay with stock.

Yeah ur making about 112 kw atw with stage 2 cams & a PFC if I'm reading it correctly? & a CAI & full exhaust system inc extractors & PPE intake manifold add another 15 kw+ atw?? as Matt from MWR assured around 134-138 kw atw with these mods which is pretty good as my mates r33 skyline gts-t is 140kw atw if I could make that comparison?.

Have you seen any reports on what the PPE intake manifold is like?

I noticed the intake a few weeks ago but haven't had a search for any reports.

Hey, This is something i may need, where I can get this intake manifold & do u know where they r available man?

• 10 months later...

Honestly i think the cams are awsome. The car even with the stock ecu is much quicker below cam but without the PFC you will not see the gains you are supposed to. That said thow i find they rock. Its the way it should have been from the factory. I have a CAI, stock exhaust, the stage 2 pipers and a ported extractor and i find the car is alot quicker than the basic bolt ons. I went on the dyno and got about 5 hp at the top over a runx with exhaust and intake and 15 hp at the 4500 or so mark and a bit more than that in torque.

The extra mid range with the piper cams is pretty nice to have. But add something to tune VVT with, and the engine changes a lot. Once you hit 4000rpm at WOT on anything other than a smooth road, you can't keep traction. Better review I did on the cams can be found here http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php/topic/26785-piper-cams/

I now have upgraded valve train as I snapped a valve; related to the cams? Likely, but can it be confirmed? No.