YES i finally did it

OKOK now you guys will probably read this and think oh is that all but i thought i would let you all know anyways

well to start with ive had my stivo roughly 6 weeks now or just under 2 months and i havent even been close to landing a LIFT change from 1st to 2nd

last night i was going uphill and decided to give it ago (yeah trying uphill before i can do it downhill what was i thinking) but anyways i ended up landing rouhly 300rpm short so i was absolutly cheering i pretty much put it down to the fact i was going uphill

anyways i was leaving work today( with a 132kg mate in the passenger seat) and a mate of mine did a real big burnout in his 5ltr VP so i was sorta all revved up and i hammered it down the road to and once again i fell about 100rpm short( jokingly i screamed you fat ***** Aaron) i was cheering but still disapointed but then the very next conrer i turned and foot to the floor and BANG I GOT A PERFECT CHANGE it landed at roughly 6500rpm with a little bit of wheel spin wich was good so if i was dragging i wouldnt have lost anytime on traction loss and just kept going down and another perfect shift into 3rd

LOL yeah i know big deal but it was the first time i got it so i just wanted to let you all know

also im getting my exhaust system next week and i really wanted to get it before the power upgrade so that way no one can say you only did it cus of the extra power

so yeah anyways thanks for wasting 2min of your time to read this stupid post LOL

see you all round

3rd to 4th in lift is the sweetest of sweet... it never fails, falls nicely to about 6700 :D and slots in soooooo smoothly

I'll let you know about the 1-2 after Thursday ;)

Hopefully it'll FINALLY be fixed now that I've gotten off my (not so) fat **** to get it fixed.

Good stuff eh Justin :D that's what the Stivo rewards you with if you can master it.. i am still trying with lighter TOM's flywheel i just can't seem to get enough revs or maybe i am just not trying hard enough.. need to practice holding my right foot down a little bit more.. but sometimes i try too hard till i beat the synchros :ph34r: :(

oh oh btw i also managed to land LIFT on 1-2 change up going uphill when driving up Macquarie pass, exiting one of the 15km/h hairpins! :D but that was before the new clutch/flywheel and wheel/tyre mod :unsure:

Edited by ZEEROLLA

lol cheers guys i wasnt expecting any replies and i dont think ill be going fast enough and often enought to practice a LIFT change from 4th to 5th lol but ill certainly give it a go when i get the chance

also i thought a lighter flywheel gives more throttle response there for easier to land LIFT from 1-2 but i must be wrong accodring to Zee

anyone wanna give me a quick rundown on what the go is i wanna get a ligh flywheel myself but not if its gonna slow me down

I hit lift last night as well past 2nd gear into 3rd on the way from Toyota service centre. They fixed my wheel alignment issue and also made adjustments to the clutch which they said may help in high rev shifting. To my surprise the car is so much easier to shift without any jerkiness! Whatever they did, it actually did something. On the report it says, 'carried out clutch pedal adjustments as per toyota field fix instructions'.

man i havnt landed lift for months (clutch is on its way out) :(

....beginning to have withdrawal symptoms :P

excessive landing in LIFT ....esp. 1-2 is not good for da car as well .... but oh wells :P

What about on Thursday coming up the street to CES? :o I know I heard lift ;)

That wasn't wheelspin into 3rd, that was hitting second and shortshifting into third on the bend due to the lack of bodyroll control :lol:

lol cheers guys i wasnt expecting any replies and i dont think ill be going fast enough and often enought to practice a LIFT change from 4th to 5th lol but ill certainly give it a go when i get the chance

also i thought a lighter flywheel gives more throttle response there for easier to land LIFT from 1-2 but i must be wrong accodring to Zee

anyone wanna give me a quick rundown on what the go is i wanna get a ligh flywheel myself but not if its gonna slow me down

The lightweight flywheel won't slow you down Justin ;) To land LIFT 1-2 with a lightweight flywheel is still possible. But it works best on the track with plenty of part throttle/full throttle acceleration.

I'm a bit confused here :blink:

I never get out of lift when shifting from 2 to 3 or 3 to 4 or 4 to 5 or 5 to 6 ??? am I a natural ( ;) )or is all this thanks to my TTE short shift? Actualy I sometimes misses lift when i'm gooing from 2nd to 3d but thats when i'm not paying enough attention.

On the other hand, how do I avoid getting out of lift gooing from 1st to 2nd ? That costs me at least 1/2 sec from my 0 to 100 kmu times. I'm pulling constant 7.5 flat on my G-tech but would love to get it under 7.

yeah i got 2-3 amd 3-4 before i got 1-2 from what everyone is saying and from whati have expererienced 1-2 is the hard one to get so if you cant get it your definatly not a natural LOL and if you still catn get it yet then just keep practicing i only recently been able to do it and my car is stock no short shift or nothing YET

euh?

It is pretty clear that the technique to stay in lift from 1st to 2nd is a whole diferent story than the rest of the shifts. From 2nd to 3d it is just a question of keeping your foot down until just a milisec before you hit the revlimiter and shifting verry quick and without hessitating.

A few pointers would be nice ...

lol well thats exactly how you get 1-2 you just need to be more precise and quicker lol i found that 2-3 was easy and i dont even need to concentrate but what you said is exactly what you need to do to land 1-2

Than the european version has another gearing I think. It is just fysical impossible to land in lift in 2nd gear even in the utopic situation where you don't slow 1 kmh down during the shift. I measured the max speed I could get in 1st gear and mached it in 2nd gear verry precisely and you simply come short of about 800 RPM's.

The only way I see working is when you get your tires to lose grip and spin trough of letting the cluch slip. But breaking loose my tires is pretty dificult, even from a standstill without traction control. So i'm not even counting on dooing that gooing from 1st to 2nd. And letting the cluch slip is kinda, well, bad for the car, isn't it ?

I reccomend a search on these forums for the words "Clutch" and "Slip" a couple of us have written detailed instructions on how to land lift without flat changing or losing traction. I also showed one person and he was quite happy with the benefits :).

Orbit, its not impossible, so long as the revs are at 6,200 then all is fine, a little bit of clutch slipping (just like when you first take off) and you can balance the revs at 6,200 until the wheels catch up to the engine revs :).

Slipping the clutch doesn't = losing tractions, they are two very different things and slipping the clutch gives you more effective control of the power, losing traction means you have no control over how the power gets down until traction is regained.

Edited by Blade Hunter

well obviously as above states i could already do it but i had to really concentrate

i got my car back today it was in getting manifold back exhaust put on well put it this way i dont have to concentrate to land LIFT from 1-2 anymore its EASY LOL so if you try and try and try and still cant do it well get an exhaust on if you cant do it after that well dont bother trying anymore cus you wont get it LOL

Not sure how putting an exhaust on your car can make gear changes easier but if you think it works mate then good luck to you!! Hope it continues to work as well.

I reccomend a search on these forums for the words "Clutch" and "Slip" a couple of us have written detailed instructions on how to land lift without flat changing or losing traction. I also showed one person and he was quite happy with the benefits :).

Orbit, its not impossible, so long as the revs are at 6,200 then all is fine, a little bit of clutch slipping (just like when you first take off) and you can balance the revs at 6,200 until the wheels catch up to the engine revs :).

Slipping the clutch doesn't = losing tractions, they are two very different things and slipping the clutch gives you more effective control of the power, losing traction means you have no control over how the power gets down until traction is regained.

Thanks man for confirming what I already thought.

Search engine, here I come !!!

Not sure how putting an exhaust on your car can make gear changes easier but if you think it works mate then good luck to you!! Hope it continues to work as well.

gees no need for the sarcasm :angry: i think the obvious has been stated the extra power has made it so much easier to do it

i know you still need to be good on the gear changes but if you are half decent at it then the extra power to help the tyres spin help you hold it above LIFT

i never said more power makes peoples shifting better did i

Im really not a big fan of the whole spinning the wheels to hold lift thing, I mean when you slam your car into second and floor it the stress you put on the internals is intense, I would much rather slip the clutch a bit and replace it 2,000 K's earlier than you normally would with everything else surviving longer :).

gees no need for the sarcasm :angry: i think the obvious has been stated the extra power has made it so much easier to do it

i know you still need to be good on the gear changes but if you are half decent at it then the extra power to help the tyres spin help you hold it above LIFT

i never said more power makes peoples shifting better did i

yeah i dont really like doing it either well i love DOING it but yeah i think you get it

i mean i just wanted to be able to do it and know that i CAN do it when needed so now that i can do it i dont really do it hardly anymore

as for wheel spin its very minimal its just like a millisecond screech so itsnot like im full spinning the wheels or anything but im certain landing lift no matter what way you do it cant be too good for the car anyways over indulgence of a good thing eventually becomes a bad thing too :ph34r:

yeah i dont really like doing it either well i love DOING it but yeah i think you get it

i mean i just wanted to be able to do it and know that i CAN do it when needed so now that i can do it i dont really do it hardly anymore

as for wheel spin its very minimal its just like a millisecond screech  so itsnot like im full spinning the wheels or anything but im certain landing lift no matter what way you do it cant be too good for the car anyways over indulgence of a good thing eventually becomes a bad thing too :ph34r:

I wouldn't worry about over indulgance "too" much, mine is 2 years old now and I give him a good thrashing now and then, im a liftaholic, he is still running beautifuly and the oil still comes out clean :).

I wouldn't worry about over indulgance "too" much, mine is 2 years old now and I give him a good thrashing now and then, im a liftaholic, he is still running beautifuly and the oil still comes out clean :).

As far as I know, it's a good thing for engine oils to become dirty. It means that the oil is doing its job.