How to add wire to switch

mbruce

Hi,

I have been in the process of adding fog lights to my Camry for a wile now, I brought a genuine stalk with fog switch, but the issue is there is no wire between the switch and the junction box/body control module. I have taken it to an auto electrician but he doesn't have a connector small enough, and didn't want to solder a wire onto the small pin, as it may damage the switch with the heat etc. He suggested I get a plug cut off from a wrecker, cut mine off and join the wires to the new one, but no one ether has one with fog lights, or is not interested in cutting up the loom.

I have a few pics here to show you what i am talking about. Circled is pin No. 12 the one i think I need to use. Any help much appreciated.

switchtocau1.jpg

switchtocau2.jpg

switchtocau.jpg

Also if someone with a gen 5 with fog light could remove their lower steering column cover and take a photo of the back of the switch to make sure its only one wire I need and it is pin No. 12, I would be very grateful.

Mitchell

Edited by mbruce

I would personally do the following (in order of preference):

1) Solder on the wire and feed it though the hole in the plug

2) Use a bootlace ferrule and some creativity

3) Go to a self-serve wrecker and cut off the connector if present (or find a connector of equivalent size and cut that off to extract the bits)

i had the same problem with my head unit :/

i gave up and just took the two wires and wrapped them together and covered it with electrical tape,

but other than that, yeah solder,

i had the same problem with my head unit :/

i gave up and just took the two wires and wrapped them together and covered it with electrical tape,

but other than that, yeah solder,

This is bad lol

I had a similar problem when wiring up my new steering wheel at the clockspring.

My solution - went to a local auto electrician who found me an electrical plug with very similar pins in the female plug and bought it for $5. Ripped the plug apart, stole the pin (and the bit of wire it still had connected) and forced it into the female plug on my current harness, using a bit of super-glue to remove any chance of it becoming loose. It actually looks very factory and can be unplugged as per normal.