Aurion: Drive Shaft

u54mot

Who has replaced their drive shafts?

If you have, how much was it to replace, and after how many kilometres?

Thanks.

Edit: I have been given a quote of $240 for both, is that about right?

Edited by u54mot

No replacement for me, but I am curious about what has gone wrong with them (I plan to put 400HP through mine, hence I would like to know of what could go wrong).

Here is a link to a parts diagram to help you explain, should you want to use the part numbers. Does that price include labour?

I believe the quote was for parts & labour From a Toyota Dealership.

I have done 120 000km's.

What needs replacing and why? Have the shafts fallen off? Are the boots leaking grease?

• 2 weeks later...

I just had my 120,000km service done and as part of that serivce they check over the driveshaft to see if anything needs to be done. (I am experiencing sligh shuddering at high speed (not the wheels as its all been balanced and other wheels have been tried etc) so i wanted it all checked.

I've been told my driveshaft boots are leaking grease (cars at 121,000km) but was also told this was due to 1. Having my car lowered and 2. Having caster offset bushes fited (both reasons im finding a bit hard to believe but it only started happening since the caster offset bushes were fitted...)

And to replace them will cost $289.30 per side including fitting.

So I don't know if this is a common occurance around the 120,000km mark. But like I said I was specifically told the driveshaft boots are leaking due to the suspension changes. So I don't know.

(They also mentioned that they think the boots will just keep leaking because of the 'angle change' of the passenger side drive shaft caused by the offset bushes.)

Just thought i'd throw in my two cents there.

• 11 years later...

2007 Aurion atx/touring..180Kkm. Old thread...price update 😉

My sons driveshaft has split boots, leaked grease everywhere and the cv joint is rough and worn.

He’s a conservative driver.

I'm guessing that distance is reasonably ok and typical?

My daughter has one to so I might look at hers a bit closer. Hers has done 190Kkm.

Cost at the local mechanic was ~ $500 inclusive of labour and a reconditioned drive shaft.

Edited by boxerboy

On 8/5/2011 at 12:45 PM, u54mot said:

I have been given a quote of $240 for both, is that about right?

I'd say that's a bargain. It's a job I'd hate to do too, so I'd be glad to let someone else do it for me at that price.

Just make sure they fasten the boots with the correct stainless fasteners. It should come with the kit. I have seen idiots tie down the boots with cable ties !! Arrghh !!. Unacceptable in my books.

Take some photos of your original drive shafts including the boot for reference..

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2022 at 5:59 PM, boxerboy said:

2007 Aurion atx/touring..180Kkm. Old thread...price update 😉

My sons driveshaft has split boots, leaked grease everywhere and the cv joint is rough and worn.

He’s a conservative driver.

I'm guessing that distance is reasonably ok and typical?

My daughter has one to so I might look at hers a bit closer. Hers has done 190Kkm.

Cost at the local mechanic was ~ $500 inclusive of labour and a reconditioned drive shaft.

To follow the trend I was quoted $440 for a brand new RH shaft and fitting at a local garage. Probably going to do myself though - Seems easy enough, about 3 bolts and some maneuvering from what I've seen.

• Like 1