Toyota better get their sh!t together

At least when it come to their design department.

I just saw new Hyundai cars like the Veloster, 2012 model i30 and even the new Accent, and they look good.

Now, Toyota makes good reliable cars but they don't look as exciting as cars from the competitors. Except for the current Yaris hatch.

I really hope Toyota would revamp their car design soon, though looking at what they changed from the FT-86 concept and the upcoming Yaris, I'm not very optimistic.

At least when it come to their design department.

I just saw new Hyundai cars like the Veloster, 2012 model i30 and even the new Accent, and they look good.

Now, Toyota makes good reliable cars but they don't look as exciting as cars from the competitors. Except for the current Yaris hatch.

I really hope Toyota would revamp their car design soon, though looking at what they changed from the FT-86 concept and the upcoming Yaris, I'm not very optimistic.

People have been signing this song for the last 20 years but the fact is that Toyota are the largest car company in the world for a reason.

Having said that, I agree with you but you deserve a slap in the face for comparing Toyota to Hyundai.

People buy Toyota mostly for their reliability. There haven't really been an exciting sporty Toyota since the Supra. Most drivers I've seen behind the wheel of a corolla or camry are either old or middle aged person or some young girl on her P. Honda at least has the Si and Type-R Civic. I long for something like the old Starlet GT turbo.

I'm only comparing the looks. You should Google the 2012 i30, it really is gorgeous. I saw it on Carsguide online.

Edited by P_T

Having said that, I agree with you but you deserve a slap in the face for comparing Toyota to Hyundai.

The 2012 Hyundai i30 reminds me of a mazda hatchback.

Anyway, the i40, i45 and electra look pretty damn good. i30 is according to ads the cheapest car to run. Too bad that they're hyundai, otherwise I definitely would have gone i45.

The koreans are learning fast on multiple fronts. Design, quality and brand image. I'm guessing that perhaps within the next 3-5 years, they'll be giving toyota and honda a run for their money.

But at least for now, I'll stick with my aurion.

Toyota really is running behind when it comes to exciting cars because well... They have none.

Honda has the Type-R Civic; Mazda screwed up with the RX-8 but they still have the MX-5 and Mazda 3 MPS; Both Mitsu and Subaru has a rally inspired sports car Evo and WRX. Nissan has the 370Z and GTR. All are either proper hot hatch or proper sports car. What does Toyota have? The closest thing to a sports car is the Aurion Sportivo, but that's just a family sedan with sports trimming, not a proper sports car. For that kind of money, I'd rather buy a Lancer Ralliart. No offence Lasertip.

I know Toyota has the FT-86 coming soon, but if the preproduction mule shots are anything to go by, it looks like they even managed to make a sports coupe look rather boring, a far cry from the awesome concept.

scionfr-s-n08-kgp-ed_gallery_image_large.jpg

I was thinking about modding my Corolla hatch but after seeing all the upcoming cars, I think I'll wait for a bit and see if Toyota would update the Corolla design to something that looks more interesting.

Sorry if I sound like I'm ranting. My intention is not Toyota bashing, I really do like Toyota cars for the reliability, I just wish they'd make something a bit more exciting. I would've bought the Supra if it wasn't discontinued.

why did you buy a corolla in the first place? Are you willing to drop $40K+ on the FT86 when it's released, or will one of the ton of other similarly priced performance cars be more desireable?

@Gonaget

As cars they're probably average at best, but at least they're good looking. :P

why did you buy a corolla in the first place? Are you willing to drop $40K+ on the FT86 when it's released, or will one of the ton of other similarly priced performance cars be more desireable?

3 reasons in no particular order,

1. I've always like hatchbacks and Toyota.

2. My old V6 Camry Conquest was falling apart and Toyota gave me the best trade-in deal.

3. I thought I was in a worse financial situation than I really was and Toyota happened to be offering 4.9% finance.

To be honest, I'm still wondering if I should've bought the Mazda 3 instead. Speaking of which, the new Mazda 3 is coming soon with their brand new SKYACTIV technology. Their petrol engine will have something like 14:1 compression ratio. In a couple of years this car or the Honda Type-R could be my next car if Toyota doesn't come up with a better looking and/or more exciting hatchback.

I have no intention of buying a sports coupe, but even if I did, just looking at the FT-86 pre-production mule shots I'd still say it's not likely. When you buy a sports coupe, you shouldn't need a body kit to make it look decent and as you can see the photo I linked, it looks rather boring. I know it's probably gonna be cheaper than other coupe out there but it doesn't mean it should look boring.

Japan has alot of cool cars that didn't make it to Aus, ie. Altezza, Caldina, Vitz RS(echo but with turbo), even early evo/skyline/silvia/etc...

meanwhile downunder we got the TRD Aurion, Corolla sportivo and to a lesser Echo sportivo...

The new kias are looking pretty cool, sorta of looks like if audi and hyundai had kids

Yea.. check out the Kia Optima

kia-optima_1.jpg

Again, unfortunately it's a Kia.

Edited by lasertip

Next gen Hyundai i30.

Hyundai-i30-next-gen-w.jpg

Hyundai Veloster with its asymmetrical design. One door on the driver side, two doors on the passenger side. Half hatchback half coupe?

veloster-korea-w.jpg

Veloster Redbull Rally version.

2012_hyundai_veloster_rally_images_main.jpg

Even the Astra is getting the cool treatment.

opel-astra-GTC-front-end.jpg

2011 Mugen CR-Z. Even a hybrid car can look this good.

2011-Honda-CR-Z-Mugen-500x333.jpg

C'MON TOYOTA!!! Get your sh!t together and make a cool car!!

That's about the only angle the CR-Z looks good in. The nose has a huge over hang and makes it look fugly. The Mugen bits do improve it a lot though.

Whats with the mention of the Type R? I'm asusming the current shape, which is a Sportivo, with 100kg more weight and $12k more expensive.

The Koreans are where it is at for affordable performance in the future. Probably not here as they don't like making RHD for a couple of crappy markets.

Hyundai and Kia are coming in a VERY big way... right now they are making some very desirable cars. Give it 5 years and i think they will one of the biggest 3 auto makers in the world..

Hyundai and Kia are coming in a VERY big way... right now they are making some very desirable cars. Give it 5 years and i think they will one of the biggest 3 auto makers in the world..

++

Maybe they will as Japan might have been set back a heap with the melt down over there, I suspect that they will glow in the dark now, as do all things from there now

Next gen Hyundai i30.

Hyundai-i30-next-gen-w.jpg

Hyundai Veloster with its asymmetrical design. One door on the driver side, two doors on the passenger side. Half hatchback half coupe?

veloster-korea-w.jpg

Veloster Redbull Rally version.

2012_hyundai_veloster_rally_images_main.jpg

Even the Astra is getting the cool treatment.

opel-astra-GTC-front-end.jpg

That is a great list of excruciatingly ugly cars.

I hope this is just a natural era that will pass that we are going through where all the new cars are coming out with ridiculous lines and blingy pointless features are what sells the car.

When I look at a car I always imagine what I would think about it in 10 years.

That's about the only angle the CR-Z looks good in. The nose has a huge over hang and makes it look fugly. The Mugen bits do improve it a lot though.

Whats with the mention of the Type R? I'm asusming the current shape, which is a Sportivo, with 100kg more weight and $12k more expensive.

The Koreans are where it is at for affordable performance in the future. Probably not here as they don't like making RHD for a couple of crappy markets.

I agree it looks a bit fugly front on with that gaping mouth but I wouldn't say that's the only angle.

2011-honda-cr-z-japan-6.jpg

Noblesse%2520Honda%2520CRZ%2520Hybrid.jpg

I realise that Honda cars are usually overpriced, I just mentioned the Type R coz it looks good. The (I assume you meant) Corolla Sportivo, while it's far from being ugly, it's understated, the styling conservative. It's not a car that would make you look twice.

I'm just gonna throw in a little rant here. Who's the retard in Toyota that thought a cup holder right in front of the aircon vent is a great idea? Just because it's cold enough for me to turn the heater on full blast, it doesn't mean I don't want to enjoy a cold can of Redbull or coke.

That is a great list of excruciatingly ugly cars.

I hope this is just a natural era that will pass that we are going through where all the new cars are coming out with ridiculous lines and blingy pointless features are what sells the car.

When I look at a car I always imagine what I would think about it in 10 years.

I realise beauty is in the eye of the beholder but "excruciatingly ugly"? That's a bit harsh.

But it's ok, I like those "love it or hate it" cars because they have personality. They're not just "some car" that you wouldn't look at twice.

How about the European variety?

Citroen DS4

Citroen-DS4-1.jpg

Renault Megane RS 250

Renault_M%C3%A9gane_RS_250.jpg

Ford Focus RS500

Ford-Focus-RS-500-01.jpg