Whine in Transfer Case - 2011 Kluger

glenshkolar

I love my kluger too, but as I said before its not as good as my old 120 prado, the build quality I think isnt as good and the gearbox and drivetrain I dont think is a solid and would be as reliable, mine has had the steering clunk which was repaired under warranty, but has that dash rattle, I love toyotas and always will but I think they need to get back on track with their build quality, because I dont want toyota to lose their good name, and in general toyota has been more helpfull than some of the other car companies I have and other friends have dealt with in the past.

My kluger so far has been reliable with no whine in the diff, fingers crossed and its travelled 88000kms, so hopefully it will continue in the future.

I with you jonathan I always a toyota buyer, but if I had some of the dramas , like other forum members it would make me think twice.

I am thinking exactly the same as you David (except I ahve never had a Prado). I had a Nissan Pathfinder (1990 model) that I owned for 16 years (prior to the Kluger) and it never gave me any problems whatsoever.

i don't have any squeaks/rattles or steering clunks but it sounds like it is only a matter of time.

Love the Kluger otherwise so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Hi people,

I read this thread the other day and decided to have a closer listen to my Kluger (2010 KXS AWD - done about 51000km - bought it a month ago).

I did notice a very faint humming (whine?) between 60 and 70 km/h. Below and above these speeds there is no such noise. I've noticed that the noise is present only while accelerating at speeds between 60 and 70. If I take my foot of the accelerator the noise stops right away. Also, while going downhill without accelerator, the noise is not there at all.

Does this sound like a problem you guys are talking about?

Thanks

Milo

Edited by Milo 10

Hi Milo.

No the whine I had was just cruising along on the flat between 60-70kmph (my foot just lightly resting on the accelerator). It didn't seem to make the noise when accelerating or slowing down. It wasn't too loud just something I could pick up (especially when no ambient sounds like music were present) at these speeds.

Your Kluger is still under warranty so you can wait until your next service and tell them to check it then or take it down to the service dept beforehand and get them to check it. Either way it will be on the record. If they say they can hear something (my service record indicated they could hear a "periodic" noise) then make them get it looked at (the service dept did their best to make it sound like mine was probably nothing). I almost didn't bother saying anything when I took my Kluger in for the last service thinking I may have been getting a bit paranoid but I am very glad I did mention the noise.

Any slight issue you think the car has bring it up before warranty expires, coz once warranty is over the manufacturer legally doesn't have to fix anything for free

But yeah steering clunk is common amongst aurions and klugers, for kluger the intermediate shaft gets replaced and for aurions the intermediate shaft gets lubed

Havent heard of this whine before

The power/acceleration problems someone mentioned can generally be fixed by resetting the ecu as from my knowledge its got a learning type ecu which adapts to your driving style

So if youve been grannying the car around and then suddenly one day put your foot down, there'll be a bit of lag as the car will be used to holding a higher gear

• 3 months later...

Hi People,

Had my Kluger at Toyota for a week. They fixed the diff whine. They had to change the diff pinion, diff gear and couple of bearings. We'll see how it goes. Sounds good now. They also replaced the loose bonnet hinge.

Thanks to everybody for your kind responses to this topic which helped me a lot!

Milo

Edited by Milo 10