Toyota Corolla 1.8L Fuel Consumption

Hi there :D

I am quite new to this forum so I'd like to start off by saying Hi :)

I have a Toyota Corolla 1996 Sedan.

The transmission is Automatic and the engine is the 1.8 4-Cyl. The car has done approximately 178,000 kms B)

I've been monitoring the fuel consumption on the car ever since I got it (June 2011 @ 174,000 kms). On a full tank the car will only do about 350 kms. I fear that this is too low for the car?... would you agree with me or perhaps know the reason as to why I am only getting this much out on the full tank? :unsure: hmmmm :huh:

I would expect to get more milage :unsure:

The car is always driven with Overdrive on.

Thanks a lot for your help :rolleyes:

Appreciate it :D

Regards,

Camrolla

Edited by camrolla

Hey, I used to have an AE102 Corolla RV with the 7AFE and a manual transmission.

I had mixed results in fuel consumption depending on 3 different things:

- Where i got my fuel from

- How much tyre pressure

- How i drove the car

Best i had ever achieved was 6.2L/100km, with 195/65/14 tyres and 45PSi, with some granny driving to suit.

I averaged between 7-8's.

HTH :)

Hi there :D

I am quite new to this forum so I'd like to start off by saying Hi :)

I have a Toyota Corolla 1996 Sedan.

The transmission is Automatic and the engine is the 1.8 4-Cyl. The car has done approximately 178,000 kms B)

I've been monitoring the fuel consumption on the car ever since I got it (June 2011 @ 174,000 kms). On a full tank the car will only do about 350 kms. I fear that this is too low for the car?... would you agree with me or perhaps know the reason as to why I am only getting this much out on the full tank? :unsure: hmmmm :huh:

I would expect to get more milage :unsure:

The car is always driven with Overdrive on.

Thanks a lot for your help :rolleyes:

Appreciate it :D

Regards,

Camrolla

Definitely not good consumption there, although what are you classing as a "full" tank? If you're filling up when the warning light first comes on then you're only putting 35-40L in, which coupled with an auto and stop-start city traffic isn't _unreasonable_. If you're leaving it to the last drop and squeezing 45+L into the tank and only getting 350km down the highway before filling up, then there definitely is a problem.

Try the usual suspects first (check ECU for error codes, new air filter/spark plugs/fuel filter, check thermostat is allowing the car to warm up fully etc), O2 sensor would be another one to look in to as it could be malfunctioning causing the car to run rich on closed loop (it's ignored on open-loop/full-throttle anyway.

If you need any help with the above steps give me a yell, I've got the full Gregorys workshop manual for the AE101/102s and know my way around the car pretty well from doing my own work/servicing on my 102.

Hey, I used to have an AE102 Corolla RV with the 7AFE and a manual transmission.

I had mixed results in fuel consumption depending on 3 different things:

- Where i got my fuel from

- How much tyre pressure

- How i drove the car

Best i had ever achieved was 6.2L/100km, with 195/65/14 tyres and 45PSi, with some granny driving to suit.

I averaged between 7-8's.

HTH :)

Your's seems to be fine to me :)

Manuals tend to be more fuel efficient than Autos generally.

Thanks for your information :D

Cheers

Definitely not good consumption there, although what are you classing as a "full" tank? If you're filling up when the warning light first comes on then you're only putting 35-40L in, which coupled with an auto and stop-start city traffic isn't _unreasonable_. If you're leaving it to the last drop and squeezing 45+L into the tank and only getting 350km down the highway before filling up, then there definitely is a problem.

Try the usual suspects first (check ECU for error codes, new air filter/spark plugs/fuel filter, check thermostat is allowing the car to warm up fully etc), O2 sensor would be another one to look in to as it could be malfunctioning causing the car to run rich on closed loop (it's ignored on open-loop/full-throttle anyway.

If you need any help with the above steps give me a yell, I've got the full Gregorys workshop manual for the AE101/102s and know my way around the car pretty well from doing my own work/servicing on my 102.

Wow :D Thanks for writing this. :)

When I said full I meant filling up the whole 50L tank pretty much to the point where the fuel pump won't spit out anything...hehe :)

Most of the time I run the car until the tank is empty (that's only because I want see the best milage I can get out from it). Right now my tank is empty (light indicating) and I've only made 358 kms :(

Good you mentioned the ECU and filter because I was actually thinking of them myself. What about the injectors? :huh: ...hmmm

I've been looking for that Gregory's manual for quite some time... would you happen to have an electronic copy of it? :unsure:

Another small question: Why is it that the car locks after hitting 80 kmph? Before around 78 kmph the engine feels free (the car can actually rev and the meter fluctuates) however after hitting 80kmph it remains stable at just above 2000rpm :( Is this natural? Would this be the 4th gear in play perhaps? It's hard to overtake and feels like the car is crying at this stage :(

Thanks again :rolleyes:

Regards,

Camrolla

When I said full I meant filling up the whole 50L tank pretty much to the point where the fuel pump won't spit out anything...hehe :)

Most of the time I run the car until the tank is empty (that's only because I want see the best milage I can get out from it). Right now my tank is empty (light indicating) and I've only made 358 kms :(

I mean how many litres are you actually putting in? You'll never be able to add 50L in one go, even with driving around with the fuel light on and the car cutting out around corners you'll still only get 47L or so in. Best way to measure fuel consumption is the following:

1) Fill the tank completely, to the first or second click (doesn't really matter, but just for consistency)

2) Reset your tripmeter

3) Drive around for several hundred km, at least until your gauge gets to below 1/4 full (the further you go, the more accurate it will be)

4) Fill up at the same petrol station you filled up at in 1), to the same click

5) Divide the amount of fuel you put in by the reading on the tripmeter, then multiply by 100 - this will give you L/100km which is more useful than km/tank when comparing to other people (because it doesn't rely on you filling the tank exactly the same every time)

Good you mentioned the ECU and filter because I was actually thinking of them myself. What about the injectors? :huh: ...hmmm

I've been looking for that Gregory's manual for quite some time... would you happen to have an electronic copy of it? :unsure:

They appear on eBay every so often, or you can go to your nearest Supercheap/Repco etc and order it in if they don't have it on their shelves. Got electronic copies of the wiring diagrams though (scanned photos)

Another small question: Why is it that the car locks after hitting 80 kmph? Before around 78 kmph the engine feels free (the car can actually rev and the meter fluctuates) however after hitting 80kmph it remains stable at just above 2000rpm :( Is this natural? Would this be the 4th gear in play perhaps? It's hard to overtake and feels like the car is crying at this stage :(

What you are experiencing is the torque converter locking up. It is completely normal for automatics. If you're struggling to overtake on the freeway, either manually drop the transmission out of overdrive or floor the accelerator to initiate kickdown, this should drop it back to at least third and allow decent overtaking (by decent, remember it is only an 85kw engine hooked up to an automatic, so performance isn't exactly stellar).

I mean how many litres are you actually putting in? You'll never be able to add 50L in one go, even with driving around with the fuel light on and the car cutting out around corners you'll still only get 47L or so in. Best way to measure fuel consumption is the following:

1) Fill the tank completely, to the first or second click (doesn't really matter, but just for consistency)

2) Reset your tripmeter

3) Drive around for several hundred km, at least until your gauge gets to below 1/4 full (the further you go, the more accurate it will be)

4) Fill up at the same petrol station you filled up at in 1), to the same click

5) Divide the amount of fuel you put in by the reading on the tripmeter, then multiply by 100 - this will give you L/100km which is more useful than km/tank when comparing to other people (because it doesn't rely on you filling the tank exactly the same every time)

They appear on eBay every so often, or you can go to your nearest Supercheap/Repco etc and order it in if they don't have it on their shelves. Got electronic copies of the wiring diagrams though (scanned photos)

What you are experiencing is the torque converter locking up. It is completely normal for automatics. If you're struggling to overtake on the freeway, either manually drop the transmission out of overdrive or floor the accelerator to initiate kickdown, this should drop it back to at least third and allow decent overtaking (by decent, remember it is only an 85kw engine hooked up to an automatic, so performance isn't exactly stellar).

The procedure you've mentioned is what I actually do...hehe of course you'll never add exactly 50L :P... click twice, reset trip meter, drive as usual until the tank empties. :) Perhaps the car needs a full clean (injectors, ECU etc...)?

I really want to work on my car :P

If possible, would you be able to send through those wiring diagrams? That would be excellent if you can :) If it's too much of a hassle don't bother. :D

There are times when I have two adults going in the car as well (So three including myself). If you consider this would you still say that I'm not getting the best fuel milage?

With the torque converter scene, what did you mean by manually drop the tranmission out of overdrive? Did you mean in other words to just turn it OFF from the switch on the gear lever or? :rolleyes: When I floor the accelerator I have to admit I get the most unpleasant engine rev :( And I feel that I'm doing too much harm to the engine :P hehe

Then again, These are small cars with small engines which were manufactured to be the World's Best Small Car...haha

Edited by camrolla

: When I floor the accelerator I have to admit I get the most unpleasant engine rev :( And I feel that I'm doing too much harm to the engine :P hehe

Dont be scared of revving these engines. For some reason the A series engines need a bit of a rev and thrash every so often to keep them clean on the inside. Could be the issue of your fuel, carbon build up is causing your car to be restricted or something? You can use injector cleaners and what not, but give it a little thrash and it may be ok. Ive seen it done before :) (But if you blow your engine... dont come complaining to me! :P )

Mine happily revved to the limiter whenever i wished and never had one problem! actually it had one problem but it fixed itself. Most reliable car evar!

Dont be scared of revving these engines. For some reason the A series engines need a bit of a rev and thrash every so often to keep them clean on the inside. Could be the issue of your fuel, carbon build up is causing your car to be restricted or something? You can use injector cleaners and what not, but give it a little thrash and it may be ok. Ive seen it done before :) (But if you blow your engine... dont come complaining to me! :P )

Mine happily revved to the limiter whenever i wished and never had one problem! actually it had one problem but it fixed itself. Most reliable car evar!

I have to admit, they are excellent little runners :D

Edited by camrolla

The 7A runs OBD 1, all you need is a paperclip

I bought an OBD2 scanner :(

Vehicles manufactured in 1996 or after have OBD2 right? :blink:

Whereabouts can I find the port? There's one under the hood which says Diagnosis?

Paperclip? :huh:

Thanks for your help!

The 7A runs OBD 1, all you need is a paperclip

I bought an OBD2 scanner :(

Vehicles manufactured in 1996 or after have OBD2 right? :blink:

Whereabouts can I find the port? There's one under the hood which says Diagnosis?

Paperclip? :huh:

Thanks for your help!

The post-96 ODBII rule is in America - Australia and other parts of the world didn't adopt it until later.

The Diagnostics port in the engine bay is exactly that - the diagnostics port. Inside are a bunch of terminals which connect back to certain ports on the ECU. You use a paperclip to bridge specific terminals to set the car into particular diagnostics modes ie to set timing, check error codes, prime the fuel pump etc. It is a basic system which gives you no feed-back (apart from error codes flashing the CEL). You don't get any of the real-time data that you can get from an OBDII system.

• 3 weeks later...
The post-96 ODBII rule is in America - Australia and other parts of the world didn't adopt it until later.

The Diagnostics port in the engine bay is exactly that - the diagnostics port. Inside are a bunch of terminals which connect back to certain ports on the ECU. You use a paperclip to bridge specific terminals to set the car into particular diagnostics modes ie to set timing, check error codes, prime the fuel pump etc. It is a basic system which gives you no feed-back (apart from error codes flashing the CEL). You don't get any of the real-time data that you can get from an OBDII system.

So it's pointless looking for error codes with an OBDI port?

I have the OBDII scanner (Cheap Bluetooth one)... what type of vehicles will I be able to use it with? Are there specific vehicles or is it just whatever vehicles that have the right port?

Thanks for your help :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just reviving this thread.

I've got an automatic 2003 Accent with the following mods:

- Sportivo Exhaust (with larger 2.5" tip welded on)

- Apexi PowerFC

Car's only done about 74,000kms to date.

After reading this thread, I pulled out the battery to reset the ECU and when I tested the fuel consumption, I was able to get approx 400kms on a full tank before the fuel indicator would turn on. (Using normal unleaded 91)

My trips are very short, with lots of starts and stops. The majority of my trips are between 5-15min drives.

Is that about right or should it be able to pull better figures?

Because it can, but also because when I resell the thing (hopefully in a years time) it will be a great car for an "L" or "P" plater! - low k's too!

I've also never had the time to learn to drive manual but it's something I want to achieve in 2012.

Sorry I haven't been able to post in a while.

I'm still not getting a good gas milage :(

I replaced the air filter and the fuel filter and shock treated about two full tanks of petrol with infector cleaner and I'm still NOT getting a substancial improvement :(

As per the specifications my Corolla has a 50 litre tank. However when I fill up at the shed I can only pump around 40? What's going on there?...I run with the indicator on for a while as well... :(

The next step I'm thinking of taking is cleaning the O2 sensors... any comments on this?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Edited by camrolla

Where's Hiro? :)

Thanks

New TOCAU website runs slower than a slug with a hangover on the computers at work...

That's fine.

Did you have any suggestions? Replaced the fuel filter and air filter... still no improvement..

I'm thinking of cleaning the O2 sensors... what do you think?

Thanks again