New Owner - Shocking Fuel Consumption...

dttsou

Could this be a possible cause of my poor fuel consumption?

Not sure if it will be related in your case, but it is worth tightening from an ongoing durability point of view. The torque required is 18 Nm (which feels like nothing with my 1/2" tools). Don't do it to your maximum, as you'll easily damage the alloy head.

Might have something to do with how the previous owner(s) drove the car. I've always run new cars in (regardless of what people say about "modern" cars).

I did this with my Aurion and have always been getting really good fuel economy since then.

Currently averaging 7.1 L/100km outside of the Metro area and ranging between 10.5 - 12.8 L/100km in morning/afternoon peak hour traffic to/from and within the CBD.

Worst ever fuel consumption was 14.8L/100km because of very heavy traffic, and near gridlock due to accidents and very bad torrential storms. Hell of an interesting drive home though!:blink: I"m also happy to report that the Aurion is very well sealed from the outside elements. Stayed nice and dry all the way with the climate control working perfectly without missing a beat. Even pulled back the blind for the sunroof and watched the heavy rain falling on the glass while waiting for traffic to move....

Might have something to do with how the previous owner(s) drove the car. I've always run new cars in (regardless of what people say about "modern" cars).

I did this with my Aurion and have always been getting really good fuel economy since then.

Currently averaging 7.1 L/100km outside of the Metro area and ranging between 10.5 - 12.8 L/100km in morning/afternoon peak hour traffic to/from and within the CBD.

What pertol do you use?

Check the tyre pressure - very important

Make sure engine oil viscosity is as advised in owners handbook

Run 95 octane fuel

Clean the air flow meter sensor with some electronics cleaner and compressed air, they get very dirty and will lead to higher than desired fuel consumption. Normally just 2 screws holding it in

A clean air filter

Sparkplugs - I see you have checked them

Only other thing can be a collapsed/failed catalytic converter or muffler - can be very detrimental to fuel economy. A dyno test would find a power loss in this instance which in turn you would have a good close look at the exhaust system. If dyno result is within 8hp of normal then its back to cleaning sensor.

The O2 sensor will bring up codes if it fails so dont get too worried about that at this stage

See how that goes for you

Clean the air flow meter sensor with some electronics cleaner and compressed air, they get very dirty and will lead to higher than desired fuel consumption. Normally just 2 screws holding it in

I think I might just add something here, if you do choose to use compressed air, please use that canned stuff at the most. Just saying cause I can imagine someone getting an air gun attached to an air compressor and use that. Even still, I'd be less inclined to use canned compressed air, but each to their own.

Contact cleaner would typically suffice. Just remember, there is not much to the sensor. Damage that and you won't exactly be happy.

I've got an 06 atx and have never had quite such poor fuel economy, I race everywhere I hate traffic to death and I'll still get a weeks worth out of a tank, and on the highways for my job I can manage 700ks per tank

Do you often drive around in sports shift mode? I've found that improper use of it (eg. Not up changing till high revs etc.) can be highly detrimental for your economy

I think I might just add something here, if you do choose to use compressed air, please use that canned stuff at the most. Just saying cause I can imagine someone getting an air gun attached to an air compressor and use that. Even still, I'd be less inclined to use canned compressed air, but each to their own.

Contact cleaner would typically suffice. Just remember, there is not much to the sensor. Damage that and you won't exactly be happy.

I have experience with this particular sensor, it is common to many Toyota's, Subaru's and other brands.

I have seen recently how much abuse this kind of sensor can take while still functioning correctly. This of course is no reason to treat the thing incorrectly

Use the spray on contact cleaner, some compressed air to remove all the gunk totally and if you feel inclined polish the little black bead with window cleaning paper damped with contact cleaner (soft stuff). Yes, if its really really dirty this is the amount of effort you need to put in to get it back to new

What pertol do you use?

I started off with using 98 RON when I first got the car, then switched to 91 RON (standard unleaded) to see if there was really any difference. Surprisingly, I found no difference in terms of performance and fuel consumption, at least for the way I drive it. Since I didn't find a difference between the two fuels, I continued using 91 RON unleaded to this day.

Economy wise, its definitely cheaper running on 91 RON if you have to pay for fuel. Mine's a novated lease vehicle, so it doesn't matter whether I use 91 or 98 RON as both are covered with the issued fuel cards, but I choose to use 91 RON because I don't see any benefit to using Premium. This is especially when the vehicle is always maintained in top mechanical condition with the lease included servicing, maintenance, repairs etc.

The Aurion is my daily drive to/from work in the CBD and everywhere in between, and I go for country drives every so often in it too.

The fuel consumption I mentioned before were from using standard 91RON unleaded.

Edited by Beep Beep

Just did a round trip mostly highway 650klms average 7.5Lt/100klm on Shell V Power in searing heat with air con on all the time. You would have to be happy with that from a six cylinder car! The worst I have had is 14.5Lt in city traffic. My wife drives a bit more consevative than me and she can get it down to 7.1Lt/100klm on same highway drive.