RAV4 V6 Auto Owners - Read this

Sunsett

Hi all,

Please read my disappointing Toyota story regarding 2 recognised Toyota transmission problems over 2 yrs.

We owned a 1998 RAV4 Cruiser (top of the range model) which was a daily driver for my wife. It developed a severe vibration in fifth gear. After a little research it appears that Toyota is fully aware of the problem according to Toyota Technical Service Bulletin TSB TC001-01. We purchased a repair kit for $710 and soon after commencing the repair our mechanic called with the bad news that we required a full gear box recondition due to the damage caused. A conservative estimate of repairs was $4,000. The vehicle had done 220,000 km and was in excellent condition body wise. I advertised the vehicle and sold it for $3,000 to a willing punter. I estimate at this stage we were about $4,500 out of pocket and booked the expense up to experience. The repair kit is for sale.

We then test drove a lot of similar vehicles and gravitated back to Toyota RAV4. After driving the V6 model we decided on this was the most suitable, especially since we had moved to the country 450 km away from 2 capital cities. I contacted my local Toyota dealer and advised we had cash ready to go for a ZR6, but heard nothing. After a long search through Adelaide and Melbourne, we found a very neat ZR6 (top of the range) in Sydney, for sale privately by very fussy people. The ZR6 had been purchased new and fully serviced through Stewart Toyota in Sydney and had been through a recall. I purchased this vehicle with the Toyota servicing confidence.

After researching for reversing cameras I stumbled on another Toyota Technical Service Bulletin TSB 0192 10 (copy attached) in relation to a transaxle whine. Our vehicle reproduces this transaxle whine perfectly. I was amazed that Toyota had not picked this up during regular services. This TSB also covers automatic Klueger that you regularly recommend.

I contacted my local Toyota dealer who has assisted where they could. I have contacted Toyota National Warranty Assistance and they have offered to pay for half. This still leaves me about $3,000 out of pocket for this repair, plus the $4,500 for the old vehicle. Naturally I think that Toyota should stand by their product and fix the problem at their expense.

Furthermore even though expensive servicing has been applied to this vehicle, that as soon as the three years ticks over, Toyota is not willing to stick by their product. As you know some of the cheaper Korean vehicles offer five years.

A raw copy of the TSB is attached, if you want a pdf copy please contact me.

I suggest that if your RAV4 makes this noise between 40-90 km/h that you contact your local Toyota dealer or National Warranty.

T-SB-0192-10 gear box whine.txt

Your vehicle is out of warranty, DEAL WITH IT, if you want more warranty you are able to purchase it, cost us $1500 for our Aurion.

That bulletin is for the US market NOT the Australian market.

If you don't like the quality, sell it and buy a Kia.

• Like 2

Should of done the research before you bought the car so when you were at the dealership you could of got it replaced before you bought the car.

As for my Rav4 it did have it but only for a short period of time and now it's gone.

Thanks for your reply Trent and Andrew.

Trent if you read my post I bought the vehicle privately. Not before going to 6 Toyota dealers with cash and received promised phone calls with finding me a car, but no. I received one call to say I would get a call back on Monday and still waiting. I had to travel 2600km to collect this car and trust me if I could I would have bought one closer. We are certainly happy with the rest of the vehicle. I would expect that the old owners paying an average of $400 ea for dealer servicing that it would have been picked up.

So if the recall is not for the Australian market, does this mean that a different transmission has been put in Aust vehicles (I think not). Toyota does recognise this problem and has offered to pay for half. So I hear you say what is your problem with that. I have 3,000 problems and I am not prepared to lose on two RAV's within months of each other. Toyota has now sorted this problem and I am seriously concerned that I will have another worn out transmission in the future. Plus imagine when you drive your vehicle that everytime you hear a noise that you know should not be there.

As for Kia, we didnt test drive one, but was highly recommended to even by non Kia dealers.

Andrew I did do as much research as possible, this problem is not well known hence it s my intention to tell as many people as possible after an unsatisfactory result from Toyota National Warranty. Can you tell me for how many Kms yours made the noise and are you concerned that it has done permanent damage.

Naturally I think that Toyota should stand by their product and fix the problem at their expense.

Naturally, I think you should only own cars within warranty in the future.

Toyota does recognise this problem and has offered to pay for half ... an unsatisfactory result from Toyota National Warranty.

I think you missed the part of the warranty book that stated it is NOT a lifetime warranty. You should be happy you have been offered support by Toyota, as you will get nothing like that with so many other manufacturers - particularly when you were not the original owner.

I'm surprised that you accepted the second vehicle with the whine, then reported this after you read something on the Internet. The accepted thing to do is agree to purchase on the condition that any issues are rectified first.

Reading your posts, I took it that your tone was attacking Toyota. Had you told people to check for this during a used car test drive, I wouldn't have had an issue or needed to reply.

• Like 1

I think you missed the part of my post that read

(I suggest that if your RAV4 makes this noise between 40-90 km/h that you contact your local Toyota dealer or National Warranty) which was the whole reason for the post.

And the next bit which said I purchased the vehicle privately after begging Toyota to help me find one. I am not sure who you are referring to but I test drove the vehicle. After flying into Sydney the traffic didnt make it much past 30km/h plus a very nice owner doing her best to sell.

Read my story for what you want but it is not the reason for the post.

It is easy to sit back and troll the victim for your own enjoyment. For all I know you could be Toyota Trolls.

It is easy to sit back and troll the victim for your own enjoyment. For all I know you could be Toyota Trolls.

I wasn't even going to reply until you wrote this rubbish.

Toyota Trolls? Really? It really is clear now that you live in a world of delusion and it really does surprise me that Toyota would help some one as arrogant as you. I guess it really is a testament to their customer service. Just think yourself lucky you got anything with an attitude like that.

You can force Toyota to replace it for you free because most things in the TSB tend to be of safety concern. You could even threaten to invole VCAT and ACCC into this matter which should force toyota to fix it for free.

Have you even checked your vvt-i oil pipe is replaced? That is a MUCH bigger concern than the whine.

Edited by A Buff Hamster

Thanks Buff Hamster, finally a civil conversation.

Yes the oil pipe has been replaced, I was aware of that one and checked. I will have a look at your suggestions, but again, the purpose of my story is purely for background and to give the heads up to those that maybe doing their own homework. I have not found this subject anywhere in this forum. Isn't that what these forums are about, helping each other instead of throwing crap (like trolls). I am a member of a few other motoring forums which have saved me heaps and helped me understand the workings of these other motors.

I guess I ask myself, Toyota are aware of this problem and have rectified it, so why dont they back track and fix those that are substandard.

why dont they back track and fix those that are substandard.

For what period of time should they be supporting out of warranty whine noises?

Are you willing to pay a higher premium on both new and used vehicles for the above?

My first car (not a Toyota) was built in 1976 and had a brake booster failure in 2005, who is responsible for repair costs?

If there are only 1% of vehicles affected (for a non-safety issue), should they inconveniently call everyone in (backtrack), or fix only the vehicles reported under warranty?

For how long should HTC guarantee that your battery holds charge, Dell that your PC hard drive doesn't die, Samsung that your plasma doesn't burn out? Like Toyota, they have warranty periods too ...

If you work in an industry which sells goods and services, you will have your own standards.

why dont they back track and fix those that are substandard.

For what period of time should they be supporting out of warranty whine noises?

Are you willing to pay a higher premium on both new and used vehicles for the above?

My first car (not a Toyota) was built in 1976 and had a brake booster failure in 2005, who is responsible for repair costs?

If there are only 1% of vehicles affected (for a non-safety issue), should they inconveniently call everyone in (backtrack), or fix only the vehicles reported under warranty?

For how long should HTC guarantee that your battery holds charge, Dell that your PC hard drive doesn't die, Samsung that your plasma doesn't burn out? Like Toyota, they have warranty periods too ...

If you work in an industry which sells goods and services, you will have your own standards.

Fair Questions.

I think for Toyota we already pay a higher price.

The whine occured whilst being test driven by Toyota servicing, during warranty period. And it was brought to their attention 6 months out of warranty.

As for your 1976-2005 example, well I have already been through that with Toyota 1998-2011 and 5th gear it cost me $$$$ which I do not want to replicate with this model.

1% of vehicles, did I miss something. I may become a safety issue, but imagine if you drove a vehicle and heard a noise every single time and you knew it was due to poor engineering...

• 2 weeks later...

Sunsett, what was the mileage when the whine was first reported? Here in the US, all Toyotas come with a 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. When my RAV4 transmission was replaced, it was still under the basic 3 year/36,000 mile warranty, but it would have been covered under the powertrain warranty according to the TSB.