Suter's AE86 Build - Lots of LONG posts and pics

Suter

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monday 30/1/12

Failed the blue slip. Failed for no dust boot on steering rack, centre tail shaft bearing worn out and worn out seat rails.

Tuesday 31/1/12

Got a few of the things I needed for the car today, new steering rack boot

IMG_1485.jpg

The other 2 rims arrived today as well, but when they were fitting the tyres they damaged the lip a bit, when I got home from school and had a look at them I noticed it straight away but it was too late to do anything about it, so that ****** me off, but at least you can't see it because its on the inside.

IMG_1486.jpg

Have a new centre tail shaft bearing on the way from melbourne, will be getting fitted up tomorrow.

Took out the tail shaft today and also took out the top mounts for the diff because the bushings are worn out.

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

Awesome job you've done. You should be proud to drive this around. A smug grin would be the order of the day.

Must say I really love the wheels. I have Konig Rewinds to go on our RA28 whenever it goes in to get the paint done.

Spewing about the damaged wheel. Lucky it is on the inside.

Sounds like it won't be long before it is up and going.

Good stuff

Awesome job you've done. You should be proud to drive this around. A smug grin would be the order of the day.

Must say I really love the wheels. I have Konig Rewinds to go on our RA28 whenever it goes in to get the paint done.

Spewing about the damaged wheel. Lucky it is on the inside.

Sounds like it won't be long before it is up and going.

Good stuff

Thanks, I think it will take a while for me to stop smiling once I've taken it for a proper drive, if nothing goes wrong that is haha.

The Konig's are quite similar to the Wata's, they're the only wheels I had really considered for the car. If the damage was on the outside I think they might be buying me a new rim, and if I was there when they got fitted I would've noticed it, but yeah at least its on the inside.

Fingers crossed its registered this week.

Sunday 5/2/12

Got the driveshaft back on Friday and got it back in, but its too long and is nearly pushing the rubber off the bearing, so thats why the old one wore out. Its going to go get shortened tomorrow, hopefully it only takes the day so it can go back in tomorrow night.

Got the steering rack boot on too.

Should be going for blue slip again sometime this week.

Just read through the build. Nice work. I love these cars and would love to do something similar. Unfortunately, I need more space! Hopefully your coming down to Melb for the Annual meet so we can all see this in the flesh.

Just read through the build. Nice work. I love these cars and would love to do something similar. Unfortunately, I need more space! Hopefully your coming down to Melb for the Annual meet so we can all see this in the flesh.

Thanks, it was good fun doing this. I don't think Ill be able to make the annual this year, Ive got the HSC so will probably be a bit too busy with that to trek it to Melbourne, but Ill see how it goes.

Tuesday 7/2/12

Got the tail shaft back and put it in.

Wednesday 8/2/12

Passed blue slip. Front brakes were seizing on the way back so pulled them down and put some grease on the sliders, all good so far.

Getting plates tomorrow, then a wheel alignment on friday. Going to get the ecu remapped within the next few weeks too.

Thursday 9/2/12

Went and got it registered today, and took it for a little drive around the block a few times, but when I was pulling into the driveway the brake problem came back. Problem seems to be in the master cylinder, so thats coming off again tonight

Awsome build up, looks trick too! :toast: GL gettin the brakes sorted, must be a great feelin knowin that ya did it all yaself :clap:

Thanks, hopefully it gets sorted quickly. Yeah it is nice knowing that we built the car from nearly ground up.

she is a beauty mate ! :clap:

winner in my book :toast:

Friday 10/2/12

Took the master cylinder to the brake shop. We had the springs in around the wrong way. Oops haha. Got it back on and its all good now. Wheel alignment booked in for tomorrow, then rims are going on

Good to hear Ryan :) more piccys asap !

Ill take some tomorrow after the wheel alignment. The last few updates have been lacking pics so I need to make up for it. Possibly doing a photoshoot on sunday too

Saturday 11/2/12

Went and got a wheel alignment today, car drives a lot better now.

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

Drove it around for a bit, and then it started to cut out when I lifted off the throttle, so I adjusted the dashpot and hasn't happened again yet.

Put the wheels on, but they rubbed on the seam in the wheel arch, so bent that back and its all good now.

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

Brake problem didn't go away. Its gotten better but its still there. Pulling callipers off tomorrow.

Sunday 12/2/12

Pulled the calipers off, and found out that they were all seized. So they're going to the brake shop to get refurbed tomorrow.

IMG_1500.jpg

Found out that the rear discs are worn about 3mm past their minimum thickness, so they will get replaced.

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

Went to put in the alloy radiator this afternoon too, but didn't have any bolts long enough for the thermo fan, so it will go in tomorrow.

IMG_1503.jpg

Monday 13/2/12

Took the brakes to get rebuilt

Fitted the alloy radiator

6901656233_c478896ed0.jpg

IMG_1515 by Suter-, on Flickr

Friday 17/2/12

Got the brakes back

6901641823_aae143ac87.jpg

IMG_1508 by Suter-, on Flickr

New rotors for the rear

6901651705_f505911f78.jpg

IMG_1513 by Suter-, on Flickr

Painted the calipers

6901643559_07e05ca7d8.jpg

IMG_1509 by Suter-, on Flickr

Fronts assembled

6901645633_dca1cc7483.jpg

IMG_1510 by Suter-, on Flickr

Rears assembled

6901647819_7a383f83e5.jpg

IMG_1511 by Suter-, on Flickr

Rear caliper and disc fitted

6901653885_fc82883a90.jpg

IMG_1514 by Suter-, on Flickr

Saturday 18/2/12

The other disc's inside diameter was too small and didn't fit over the face of the hub, so I went and got that machined out and finished fitting the other rear.

Bled all the brakes up, and the brake problem is still there, so I guess the booster is the next place to look.

Edited by Suter

Sunday 19/2/12

Tested the booster and its not that. Even with the vac line disconnected and with the master cylinder loose the brakes still don't release. Going to gut the proportioning valve next and see if that fixes it

just a suggestion, check you rubber flexable hoses, could be collaped inside causing it to hold pressure to the calipers

Good idea, they are braided lines but I will check them out.

Tuesday 21/2/12

Adjusted the free play in the pedal today to about 10mm, didn't fix the problem. I think the problem is in the master cylinder now because when the brake lines are loosened from the master the problem goes away straight away.

Master cylinder out

6915372135_6fc3b4d7f6.jpg

IMG_1523 by Suter-, on Flickr

Wednesday 22/2/12

Took the master cylinder to get checked out

Started to get the glue off the blue door cards

Friday 24/2/12

Got the master back and put it back on. They put a new kit in it and i think they drilled out another hole that might not have been drilled out properly when the sleeving was done. Brake problem seems to have gone away.

Got the rest of the glue off the blue door cards

Next problems to work on are the gear box and the engine.

2nd gear synchro is gone in the box i think, it doesn't like to shift down into 2nd from 3rd, but if you push it into first a bit then is slots into second most of the time.

Engine is blowing some blue smoke, but smells like its running rich too. My guess is that the oil rings are gone

Saturday 25/2/12

Went to JDM Yard in the morning to get some coil over spanners, waited around until 10:30 but no one turned up. I was bored while waiting so took two pics

6784686688_e513715f0d.jpg

IMG_1528 by Suter-, on Flickr

6784687750_632576a304.jpg

IMG_1529 by Suter-, on Flickr

Went to the JDMST EOMM, thanks for the pics everyone who took them.

6930807407_3dfeb21af4.jpg

6930804317_84a293c3e2.jpg

6784685694_4655f24102.jpg

6930804095_403c58db2d.jpg

6784685500_3a68ee848a.jpg

6784685336_2f1c09cb62.jpg

6930803731_6460d6b7c4.jpg