Stivo load rating

Gipper

Just looking for the load rating of the Stivo as i am thinking of changing my tyres from 205/45/17's to 215/40/17.

I need to make sure the tyres is at or above the load rating of the car

When i looked on the inseide if the door, its not there.

Can anyone tell me the load rating or where to find it?

thanks

Gipper

like Marcus said search the Wheel and Tyre section for posts written by Xoom.

Bill put together a pretty good list of what is available from the different manufacturers after a lot of research and ringing around.

Edited by Blue_Stivo

i can't believe the load rating for the levin is 88. does that mean i have to find tyres with a load rating of 91 since there arent many, if any with 88 rating around?

If you're looking for the standard size (195/60R15), the vast majority are 88, the only one I've seen that's not lower (amongst the trustworthy brands, anyway) is the BF Goodrich Radial T/A (as used on the General Lee of Dukes of Hazzard Fame).

The silly thing is, that the heaviest car in the range (the Sportivo) has a load rating of 87 (same as the original Ascents with 175/70R14's) yet every other model has 88.

i can't believe the load rating for the levin is 88. does that mean i have to find tyres with a load rating of 91 since there arent many, if any with 88 rating around?

If you're looking for the standard size (195/60R15), the vast majority are 88, the only one I've seen that's not lower (amongst the trustworthy brands, anyway) is the BF Goodrich Radial T/A (as used on the General Lee of Dukes of Hazzard Fame).

The silly thing is, that the heaviest car in the range (the Sportivo) has a load rating of 87 (same as the original Ascents with 175/70R14's) yet every other model has 88.

Yeah it is kinda weird the tyres they use.

I'm upgrading to 17" wheels soon, so im guessing i'll have to go with tyres that have a load rating of 91. Am i correct?

I'm upgrading to 17" wheels soon, so im guessing i'll have to go with tyres that have a load rating of 91. Am i correct?

I just checked the Bridgestone website as an example ... the only 17's they recommend as replacement for the 195/60R15 are 245/40R17 (rating 91 and too wide, I would have thought).

I wonder what the full legalities are on this, though ... how often would a police or transport officer compare the placard with the tyres? I would imagine this would only occur at roadworthy time.

Having said that though, say you were pulled up for having an 87 when the minimum is 88, one could say in their defence that the heaviest model in the range is 87, so they thought it'd be ok. Sounds silly, but we're up with it because we're enthusiasts. The average person on the street just throws the keys at the tyre guy and says "chuck some new tyres on", and they do so without recourse.

I just checked the Bridgestone website as an example ... the only 17's they recommend as replacement for the 195/60R15 are 245/40R17 (rating 91 and too wide, I would have thought).

I wonder what the full legalities are on this, though ... how often would a police or transport officer compare the placard with the tyres? I would imagine this would only occur at roadworthy time.

Having said that though, say you were pulled up for having an 87 when the minimum is 88, one could say in their defence that the heaviest model in the range is 87, so they thought it'd be ok. Sounds silly, but we're up with it because we're enthusiasts. The average person on the street just throws the keys at the tyre guy and says "chuck some new tyres on", and they do so without recourse.

Exactly. I asked a store to quote me on some 17" tyres that would suit my car. I asked if they were 100% suitable in terms of the load rating and they said YES YES YES... got home, did some research and found out they had 84 and 87 load ratings.

That's the thing though, driving around in an unroadworthy car... i'm not worried about police pulling me over... im just worried if i happen to ever get into an accident and the insurance company rejecting my claim because my car was unroadworthy.

I've yet to find 17" tires in the 215/40 size with a 91 load rate. Has anyone?

A reply from 'The Tyre Factory' regarding my car...

Brandon,

For your vehicle you need a 88 load rating which isn’t available in that size.  The best option for you is the Hankook K104 in 215/45R17 K104 which is 91.  This also closer to your original diameter.  215/40r17 is too small.

Regards, Matt

45's scrub from what i've read. Any ideas anyone?

I need to update something I said in an earlier post, the original 14" shod Ascents actually had a load rating of 84, not 87 as I thought.

Its amazing that the load ratings vary so much from one model to the next.