Reverse the shifter

ChrisE2490

Hey guys

Read on here that a couple of you guys have reversed the sequential shifter on the aurion and i was wondering if you could point me in the right direction of a how to. Grew up driving a ford so it just feels unnatural to shift the way the aurion does. Appreciate the help. Cheers

TRD also offer a shifter reverse kit as well. Gives you the little module and a new gear position indicator with TRD signature. P/N: 84702-GS800. From memory it was about $120.00 or something like that.

TRD also offer a shifter reverse kit as well. Gives you the little module and a new gear position indicator with TRD signature. P/N: 84702-GS800. From memory it was about $120.00 or something like that.

Well I'll be damned. Learn something new every day. That said, DIY modification cost nil and the shape of the replacement trim appears to be slightly different from the Aurion:

http://www.trdparts....ortshifter.html

As well, the trim bit is kinda stuck in place by means of those tabs which they melt to lock it in and for some reason, things don't feel the same when reassembled. I planned on 'scratching out the black to make the minus a plus and then colour in the top and bottom of the plus to make a minus. I then gave up and figured that it's not THAT important.

I'm happy with the the shifter the way it is. Think it's good. There is a DIY floating around to reverse the gearing like a Ford without purchasing the part.

http://selectormod.poirus.com.au/

This sites states "What this mod about, is to change gear faster by altering the + and - in the manual select (S)"

But I don't think changing the direction of the shift + and - is going to make gear changes quicker. Correct me it i'm wrong. but that would require a bit of $$ and new ECU.

Edited by nahrsuhsist

Well I'll be damned. Learn something new every day. That said, DIY modification cost nil and the shape of the replacement trim appears to be slightly different from the Aurion:

http://www.trdparts....ortshifter.html

As well, the trim bit is kinda stuck in place by means of those tabs which they melt to lock it in and for some reason, things don't feel the same when reassembled. I planned on 'scratching out the black to make the minus a plus and then colour in the top and bottom of the plus to make a minus. I then gave up and figured that it's not THAT important.

Yeah that's right the DIY way costs nothing and as long as you can live with the +/- being the wrong what then is probably the way to go.

The TRD part should fit Aurion but you will just loose the "Shift lock" button. However Paradigm and i have taken gear selection panel out of one of our cars can’t remember who's when we was painting our centre consoles. And mine is still quite tight no squeaks or though i think we may of got some adhesive in here and there to make it all fit back together properly again. Can’t really remember. But anyway there are two different methods in which the sequential shift can be swapped.

I'm happy with the the shifter the way it is. Think it's good. There is a DIY floating around to reverse the gearing like a Ford without purchasing the part.

http://selectormod.poirus.com.au/

This sites states "What this mod about, is to change gear faster by altering the + and - in the manual select (S)"

But I don't think changing the direction of the shift + and - is going to make gear changes quicker. Correct me it i'm wrong. but that would require a bit of $$ and new ECU.

Yeah that's right it isn’t going to make the shifts any slower or faster. it just simply feels more "natural" to have them the other what around like Falcon and Commodore does. Apparently though the world is somewhat split on which way is "better" I personally prefer the opposite way to how the Aurion (& all Toyota's are) Just seems better to be pushing and pulling back with the way the "g forces" of the car are going.

Looking at the model code on the TRD Parts link, the kit is a for a Crown Royal/ Athlete. I guess the module itself will still work, but the new inidicator might not fit without modifications (Or not fit at all.). I guess one could do decals for the +/- symbols (Like the TOM'S kit.) and stick them on.

ph_p_gt.jpg

Edited by ToyotaFreak

Thanks guys for all the info. Not to worried about swapping the plus and minus around because realistically no one would know any different anyway. I just want to do the mod for my own comfort. Will hopefully do it this weekend.

i find the toyota shifter.... "Logical".....u push UP to go up a gear and push DOWN to go down a gear.

And I guess that's how Toyota saw it as well since after all, its intended use is not as a manual transmission. But for those that choose to operate it as if it was one, the logical direction is to pull back to go up a gear because that matches up with the movement experienced by the driver while accelerating/decelerating.

Just had a look the stickers, they might not work. Because if you replace (-) with (+) you will be semi covering over the (N)

possibly you can replace the paper inside, i never really bothered to look when I pulled the centre console out to replace the stock stereo.

honestly I like the direction. if the Aurion was 400KW I could understand but there's simply not enough G forces to do it, and if there was I would be replacing the seat to stop self whiplash first :P

Edited by nahrsuhsist

Yeah like i said if you were to take a poll at your next bbq you would find the result was 50/50. the way Toyota set it up logically make sense push up for a higher gear and push down for a lower one however when you getting stuck in and having a go it really feels quite back to front. This is further annoying in cars were more performance potential such as the IS350/GS350 F-Sport and ISF but they like new Atara have paddle shift technology which is better again :clap:

i find the toyota shifter.... "Logical".....u push UP to go up a gear and push DOWN to go down a gear.

And I guess that's how Toyota saw it as well since after all, its intended use is not as a manual transmission. But for those that choose to operate it as if it was one, the logical direction is to pull back to go up a gear because that matches up with the movement experienced by the driver while accelerating/decelerating.

Well almost, in a manual you'd be pulling back AND forward probably equally to shift up a gear.