Starlet info.

Scatman_mv

Hi all, I am looking at buying a 97+ toyo starlet for myself prob next year.

fuel prices and all, and i want an economical car.

now i've read and heard that the specs of these cars are as follow.

fuel: 6L/100km

capacity: 1.3L

and thats as much as i know, hehe

can anyone fill me in as to some specifications on these cars?

cons i've heard are bad handling *can be fixed* and that's about it.

all info given would be tops. I know it's abit of a girly car, no offence :blink: , but i don't mind them, and i just want a low fuel costing car.

i was mainly gonna do a tyre and rim package, maybe a better muffler, and then just a hunka audio system from my new job.

ive estimated the entire car to cost me about 7k, that's completely onroad if i can get the car for 5k and a lil.

i dont care for all the added extras, tho power mirrors are nice, and i've heard power steering helps a bunch.

infact to make it more easy to know what to reply with i wish to know the following :)

models and features,

stock audio,

placement of speakers, stock.

weight of car.

fuel capacity,

trunk capacity,

etc. TY

Edited by Scatman_mv

The starlet was the model before the echo. Predecessor in other words but you probably knew that :P They were released at the start of 1996 till the end of 1999 which was when the echo's were brought in.

There were a total of 6 models released all together (all with manual or auto):

Life - 3 Door and 5 door

Group X - 3 Door and 5 door

Style - 5 door

Limited edition MAX - 3 door

The MAX and style models were the upper models that included power steering, rear seat head restraints, tilt adjustable steering column, four speaker radio cassette, cup holders and full wheel covers. Air-conditioning was an option across the range.

the 1998+ models were introduced with the option of a 'power pack' or 'safety pack'. The power pack included things like central locking, power mirrors, electric windows, etc. The safety was just ABS and an extra airbag for the passenger side.

The weight of the car is roughly 830kgs pulling 55kw.

The fuel tank capacity is 45litres with 91ron unleaded being the fuel type. 1998+ models have fuel tank capacity of 60litres.

The luggage capacity is 214litres with the back seats up.

The audio sytem from the 1998+ models had a fujitsu tape deck and cd player. The same ones used in the Camry CSI models during that time.

Hope that helps.

Hey just want to say there is nothing wrong with getting a Starlet- they are a great car, toyota reliability and there are plenty of people modding them up!!and getting some scary power figures out of a 1.3L, like 200+hp!!! :blink: :D

You may think they are a girly car, but if your keen get a turbo conversion for it and watch the faces of WRX/SS commos as you blow them away!!!!all day every day!power to weight baby!! :P

I have a Starlet GT(JDM starlet turbo), with minor mods, no turbo mods and every time i give it some, it responds.

So for me a starlet is awesome, even Aus delivered NA starlets.

If you want to see what people are doing with Starlets check out-

Au Starlet Club

You'll find a heap of Starz.

Laters :)

• 5 months later...

The starlet was the model before the echo. Predecessor in other words but you probably knew that :P They were released at the start of 1996 till the end of 1999 which was when the echo's were brought in.

There were a total of 6 models released all together (all with manual or auto):

Life - 3 Door and 5 door

Group X - 3 Door and 5 door

Style - 5 door

Limited edition MAX - 3 door

The MAX and style models were the upper models that included power steering, rear seat head restraints, tilt adjustable steering column, four speaker radio cassette, cup holders and full wheel covers. Air-conditioning was an option across the range.

the 1998+ models were introduced with the option of a 'power pack' or 'safety pack'. The power pack included things like central locking, power mirrors, electric windows, etc. The safety was just ABS and an extra airbag for the passenger side.

The weight of the car is roughly 830kgs pulling 55kw.

The fuel tank capacity is 45litres with 91ron unleaded being the fuel type. 1998+ models have fuel tank capacity of 60litres.

The luggage capacity is 214litres with the back seats up.

The audio sytem from the 1998+ models had a fujitsu tape deck and cd player. The same ones used in the Camry CSI models during that time.

Hope that helps.

Just to clarify a few of these points ...

Group X had a spec similar to the Style (the Max was a limited edition specced-up Life) ... Group X was also the only model with a tacho, as was only available as a 3 door.

The Max featured a CD player, 13" alloys, rear sunshade and some decals, and available as a 3 or 5 door. The Max was the only model to have CD and alloys as standard, but they were options across the range.

Also, all locally-delivered Starlets had a 45 litre fuel tank.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Power to weight- my car weighs 780kgs packs 115hp atw- WRX weighs in at 1500kg and has 160hp atw

YOU DO THE MATH :D

A GT starlet with mild boost WILL beat a WRX, well maybe if you were driving the starlet the WRX would. :P ;)

• 3 months later...