LCD Sunvisor & Headrest illegal in AUSTRALIA???

leasaunce

are they illegal in australia?? i heard that one company said this to me.  :huh:

Don't know about the LCD Visor, but I could say with some assurity that LCD Headrests aren't considering some cars come with them as a standard feature.

this is what one of the company that replied back said to me....

Q. Can you get Sun visor monitors?

A. Yes... but I cannot sell them to you as they are ILLEGAL in Australia. If a vehicle has an accident as they were distracted by your sun visor monitors then the importer, the seller, the installer, the vehicle owner and the driver are all liable even though they were not involved in the accident! (hence this is why they are not available in retail stores) They also interfere with a roadworthy item.

:huh: what the..?? i was going to get them...but now im thinking not to get them.... :(

what they are saying is that LCD's on the sun visors in the front are a no go, LCD's on the back of the head rests where those sitting in the back seat can see them are ok, have a looks at some of the hi end holdens, they come with the head rest LCD's from the factory

they also replied back with this

Q. Can you get headrests with monitors

A. Yes... but I cannot sell them to you as they are ILLEGAL in Australia. The modify the car to a point where it no longer be roadworthy (hence this is why they are not available in retail stores) DO NOT USE THESE.

im abit worried now....

Hey leasaunce

Tell the dude sending you emails to look at this sight:

Holden Caprice

It is the sight for the Holden Caprice, complete with LCD headrest for the rear seat. So when he says "Yes... but I cannot sell them to you as they are ILLEGAL in Australia"...he either doesn't know what he is talking about, or he is trying to sell something else...

I have also attached an image of the interior of the Volvo S80 & Jaguar XJ-Type which comes with LCD headrests.

Just thought I'd throw this in because I knew I had seen them standard in some cars....

post-421-1127216357_thumb.jpg

post-421-1127217012_thumb.jpg

Haye Lausaunce

I have just been advised that the best place to get LCD mionitors for your headrests would be at JB HiFi.

My friend was there today looking at them,....

I've seen it written in the Advertiser motoring section recently that it is illegal for monitors visible by the driver to display "entertainment" whilst the vehicle is moving. This is why sat nav systems are legal, and cars with front/console mounted screens (eg. import Lexus/Soarers) are roadworthy - it's just the use while moving that is not legal.

I would imagine the same applies to visor screens, but if you are looking at your visor while driving then you probabaly deserve to die anyway. Try not to take anyone with you...

Looks good.

Like Oz_Viking said, the rules I found out last night (at least for QLD anyway) is the same, that the screen can not be viewable for the driver while the car is in motion.

That may explain the warning that comes on the screens default when you buy them here. At least in the Prius, Avalon & Prado I know they do, when you turn them on they give you that warning.

I'd like to see the headrests done though. Cause I rarely use my rear seat, I can't justify it, but maybe when the missus and I have kids I may have a better reason to do it :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hey

The illegal issues are complex. It is illegal to have entertainment visible to the driver. It is not illegal to sell the units, but illegal to install in a way where the entertainment is visible to driver(s) during driving. i.e should be hooked up to handbrake so that will not function when handbrake down etc, this is just one way.

Also for rear head rests etc, totally legal to buy and install. However recent claims have been that running entertainment on them is a distraction to other drivers.

Supposedly can be booked for it.

My brother is a professional installer, custom builder etc of automotive visual/audio/security systems. Showcar quality etc. When I have the spare money, will work out a total setup for my grande. He working out the details for me now, i.e how best to incorporate everything to standard equipment. I want to have complete rear vision camera, DVD playback, PS2, XBOX, with 4 LCD screens for all rear passengers (both rows) with individual outputs etc, so everyone can do there own thing. Considering also to have a mini PC, with wireless internet. All in concept and planning stages right now.

my blabbering on....

And if i ever get booked for distraction to other drivers, I am going to take photos of everything surrounding my location of infringement, and show that to the magistrate. For ***'s sakes, my 7" LCD is less a distraction than a 20 metre spread of a pair of breasts on a bill board, or some bloke showing off his CK underwear, let alone when a car dealer in bright colors over the windscreens of his cars '$4000 CASHBACK', or that bright yellow car that drives past me with 20" rims. Who knows next they be slapping fines on women walking in short skirts (excuse me ladies on this forum, but reality) along busy roads. Distraction to other drivers. What about those bumpers stickers, how many times have I been distracted reading them, or maybe I can sue the RTA next time, I am distracted trying to work what the number plate 'PKTRKT' (Pocket Rocket) means or 'RU329T' (R U Free 2Nite). Or those large, flapping, air filed fluro coloured stick men, flapping there arms trying to knock out the birds. I think this is becoming LAW for LAW's sake....'Oh I am Politician and have you seen those LCD's in cars....hmm...dont know much about them...lets just put fines....till something happens..." This country solutions always seem to be 'bandaids'. WHO THE HELL CLAIMS TO BUILD THE LATEST AND GREATEST IN HIGHWAY TECHNOLOGY IN THE 21st CENTURY, CALL IT THE M7 , THAT WILL CUT EVERYONES TRAVEL TIME IN HALF AND MORE, AND MAKES IT TWO LANES. TWO RIDCULOUS LANES. Dont they learn from mistakes, M4, then the M2, then the M5, and now the M7. 2 lanes, 2 lanes, 2 lanes. M5 is a disgrace to call a highway, M4 is getting worse, M2 will clog as the M7 Opens. Has anyone seens the highways in VIC and QLD. What's wrong with NSW Authorities.

...phew...all that off my chest now...

Man, you need a Coke and a lie down  :blink:

LCDs a distraction?

Whatever happened to getting some loving as u drove eh? :lol:

nothin like trying to explain how you can possibly drive in THAT position. hahahahahahahaha.

And that why we should all get auto cars man, leave the hand free... ;)

A record for you and mrs Azza to break eh?

Edited by negatron