Weird noise 06 lux

Phil Lewis

• 7 months later...

Any update on this noise? My 06 hilux has just developed the same sound, did some beach driving and on the drive home I noticed a wup wup sound and could feel it through the driver side floor, bearings are solid and cvs have no rattle so not sure what it is but it's doing my head in...

• 5 months later...

Hi peeps, I had 31inch tyres on my 2006 model Hilux then I went out brought a new set of tyres and rims 285/75/16 to be exact and now I also have this noise happening along with a second gear that locks up easily downshifting. I started diagnosing it, first I thought it was a balancing issue because of the new wheels or something to do with the wheel alignment. I installed new U.C.A’s but I’m past looking all that now and starting to think it’s possibly a diff gear related problem or the bigger tyre size has put strain on uni-joints or differential internals creating the woh, woh, woh. It has something to do with gearing I believe. I had the same problem with my old 2006 Toyota hiace after I changed over to a trutrac differential and put 20" wheels on diff was re-geared to same ratio as a hilux so I believe this problem to be gear related in some way. Hope this helps, just remember think harmonics and balance and best of luck still in the process making my next move to fix the problem 👍

Edited by Camo_flauge

• 4 months later...

Hi did anybody find out where this noise is coming from? Mine developed this rumble sound like you are on a rumble strip. Been in had bearings, new tyres and propshafts checked but all seems fine. Mechanic is stumped.

On 1/15/2021 at 4:01 AM, Leggy said:

Hi did anybody find out where this noise is coming from? Mine developed this rumble sound like you are on a rumble strip. Been in had bearings, new tyres and propshafts checked but all seems fine. Mechanic is stumped.

A few posts back revealed it to be the speedo cable. Pull it out and re lube the innards or get a new one.

Hello, I'm french, so I'm sorry for my poor english.

I have the same problem, lifted +2" and mud tires. The car run perfectly, except when I use 4x4H : there is the same weird noise at 40km/h.

Unfortunaly, I have search my hilux model on amayama and there is no speedometer cable : this is an electric captor, no cable.

I think this is the CV joint that make the noise, perhaps they are to short or they do not support the angle.

I will lower the differential before to see if that helps matters.

Edited by Mougly

On 1/15/2021 at 6:46 PM, Tony Prodigy said:

A few posts back revealed it to be the speedo cable. Pull it out and re lube the innards or get a new one.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Mine doesn’t have a speedo cable as it is all electronic. Really stumped here. 2014 Active double cab. 

I ordered 2 different kits: one with the shims and another with brackets, the one with the shims because I did not know that the one with bracket existed.

The model with bracket is from China for test, I guess it's a copy of what exists in Australia. There are now 2 models with brackets, the second has a silent block on each side of the bracket. It is undoubtedly more effective for large lifted car.

Good explanations here : https://practicalmotoring.com.au/4x4/diff-drop-options-on-an-ifs-4x4/

hilux diff drop kit with bracket.jpg

Edited by Mougly

Hi everyone, I see everyone is having this proble that the RHS front start making road noise. So if your Hilux have this noise ( starts aroun 70 kms/ h) go under your ute, Right Hand Side, grab the axle behind INSDE cv( one closest to diff) push and pull it away from you and towards you, diagonally from axle( back to front of Ute, check how much play is between the cv and diff housing, if you get a fair bit of movement , your needle bearing is broken/ half broken, this seems only to happen on driver side . This situation happens more when you RAISED your ute. The cv works through a bigger angle now and the original bearing was not made to carry this increase load angle. 
How to solve this problem: pull the cv and replace the bearing.you can order a bronze bushing from America to replace this bearing and your cv noise/ vibration is fixed.

I hope this helps guys !

• Thanks 2

Hi everyone, I see everyone is having this proble that the RHS front start making road noise. So if your Hilux have this noise ( starts aroun 70 kms/ h) go under your ute, Right Hand Side, grab the axle behind INSDE cv( one closest to diff) push and pull it away from you and towards you, diagonally from axle( back to front of Ute, check how much play is between the cv and diff housing, if you get a fair bit of movement , your needle bearing is broken/ half broken, this seems only to happen on driver side . This situation happens more when you RAISED your ute. The cv works through a bigger angle now and the original bearing was not made to carry this increase load angle. 
How to solve this problem: pull the cv and replace the bearing.you can order a bronze bushing from America to replace this bearing and your cv noise/ vibration is fixed.

I hope this helps guys !

ECGS in America sells the bush

7 hours ago, Neels said:

I hope this helps guys !

That makes a whole lot of sense. Thanks for the input. I think many will find this very helpful and avoid costly shotgunning expenditure. :thumbsup:

That's great !

To be more precise, and after seeing videos, RHD = the wheel on the right in the common wealth and LHD = the wheel on the left in most of the other countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVMuu5qJqVM

So for RHD, it seems to see passenger side and for LHD, see driver side

Edited by Mougly
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi all I just thought I would post this for anybody that is having this mysterious intermediate grinding noise. My son has a 2007 Toyota hilux 4wd. About 6 months ago his hilux started making this low grinding noise on the right hand front side of car it would come and go randomly at different speeds you could feel it through the steering wheel and Evan the floor. So took it to mechanic he spent a lot of time checking going over it checked the front bearings changed cv joints etc also put a new hand break in which it did need cost 1400 he apologised and said sorry I can’t work out what the noise is which was just a tad annoying.  Anyway 6 months down the track the noise got progressively louder so we took to another mechanic he was horrified when he heard the noise said it has to bearing related he changed right hand bearing still making noise. Rang and said he thinks it has to be differentiator as everything else had been checked and done he advised diff needs to be reconditioned which is big dollars this was on the Friday he said there is nothing else that he can find he Evan changed the very front bearing at the front of diff wasn’t it. As I new he was one of those mechanics he would not give up until he worked it out I agreed for him to pull diff out and recondition probably cost around 2000 plus the other stuff he did. Low and behold he rang on the Monday and said it had been on his mind all weekend and decided to check right hand back axle bearing he said when he pulled it out nearly fell apart in his hands. He said that it didn’t make any noise on the hoist when wheels were spun it was only a load bearing noise. This noise was vibrating through the right hand side of car through the steering wheel and floor sounding like the front but was actually the back of car. As I spent hours of research I thought I would post this to hopefully help others out there. Very long story I no 😊

Maybe check the drive shaft , could be a little out of whak ,could be the telescopic slide is seized worth a look , or maybe be checking bearings in the rear axel ,some of these noises can resernate from areas through the chassis be a pain in the bum to find 

Edited by Bigpete
more info