Hiace accelerator sticking

Has anyone else experienced a problem with a 2006 Hiace accelerator pedal sticking? Has only occurred 3 times during the past few years and the mat doesn't seem to be causing the problem. Any ideas from anyone?

Has anyone else experienced a problem with a 2006 Hiace accelerator pedal sticking? Has only occurred 3 times during the past few years and the mat doesn't seem to be causing the problem. Any ideas from anyone?

I'm on my Phone ATM and can't research much.from memory the camry also had this problem. Google up Hiace recall ,to see if there was any. But also check your footing area i.e floor mates or anything causing it to stick

I'm on my Phone ATM and can't research much.from memory the camry also had this problem. Google up Hiace recall ,to see if there was any. But also check your footing area i.e floor mates or anything causing it to stick

The sticking accelerator pedal issue did not affect any Australian vehicle.

The sticking accelerator pedal issue did not affect any Australian vehicle.

hmmm i thought it included australia cars.

hmmm i thought it included australia cars.

Well doing some research on the topic first is usually advised before spreading bad information that can lead to people panicking over things that don't affect them. Here is my input on it.

Two things:

- The recall in the States regarding the floor mat was with in relation to the all-weather rubber mats which are larger than the carpet mats and when sat on top of the standard mats, would be prone to sliding over the accelerator pedal. This can be a potential issue for anyone really, and is of no fault of the mat.

- Also in the States, the recall regarding the accelerator pedal was in relation to a locally sourced (CTS) accelerator pedal that operates quite differently to the Denso accelerator pedal found in the Australian Aurion. This issue in no way affects us.

But that said, thirdly:

- In questioning the possibility of an electronic failure or default in the ECU responsible for accelerator/throttle control, NASA were involved in looking at that and found there was nothing at fault there. Read the following for more details:

Toyota's Throttle-by-Wire System Cleared by NHTSA

Also, there has been discussion about "tin whiskers" that was brought up after all this discussion on the accelerator pedal which may have made some people think the accelerator pedal was really at fault. You can read more on that research here:

http://nepp.nasa.gov...-app-sensor.pdf

The accelerator pedal being referenced to in that paper however is a 2003 Camry Accelerator pedal which uses a potentiometer as the form of throttle control. The accelerator pedal used on the newer Camry (both CTS and Denso) utilise hall effect sensors to measure the throttle input and therefore are not affected like shown in the paper.

What you experienced would probably be something completely different to the cases experienced by those in the States. Just saying this so others don't get in a panic that "our Aussie aurions were affected by this". In saying that, it could be something as simple as some other obstruction around the pedal area to something as serious as a throttle body servo issue. If you are absolutely sure it wasn't caused by your own wrong-doing (eg. I've once hit both the accelerator and brake with my shoe before), then this is something that you should be inspecting with more detail.