turbo diesel

brendo111

a couple of years ago i went for a drive in a turbo diesel toyota and was very impressed with its acceleration. im looking at buying one soon, but am unsure exactly what model im after. can anyone let me know? cheers

What are you wanting it for, knowing that will make it easier to recommend you a model.

Do you only need a single cab, extra cab or do you need the dual cab?

Those d4d diesels are absolute perler of a engine, they offer great performance with fantastic fuel economy,they go better in manual form over auto, because the hilux only have a four speed auto, if they had the five speed auto like the prado they would be fantastic, there not the cheapest ute on the market but even with the new utes on the market with more powerfull engines, I still like the hilux the best.

I drove a d4d hilux and prado before I bought my kluger and I and I absolutly loved them both , but the budget didnt quiet stretch this time, sure they mighten accellerate as quick as my old 4litre prado or my kluger, but they offer good pulling power and strong performance with great ecconomy.

Good luck in your search a d4d hiluxes they are worth every cent.

Edited by CROCO

yeah cheers for the input guys. i think i found what i wanted, a hilux trd. big $$ still, they hold their value. i dont really need a ute atm, but have always found them handy, and the trd's look great, have the performance and things like inbuilt gps etc.

yeah cheers for the input guys. i think i found what i wanted, a hilux trd. big $$ still, they hold their value. i dont really need a ute atm, but have always found them handy, and the trd's look great, have the performance and things like inbuilt gps etc.

TRD Hilux isn't a turbo-diesel though...so have priorities changed then?

There is a huge step in acceleration between the turbo diesel and the TRD.

The TRD's are very quick, but are also damn thirsty. Expect to see around 16L per 100km (on premium)

The T/Ds get below 11L/100km even when carrying a load. Mine does 10.8 and that's not driving it gently, with a steel bullbar and damn heavy steel tray.

priorities changed a bit when i discovered the TRD :) but there are none for sale. what would be the next best? if im looking for something quick that is. something d4d like Croco suggests?

Edited by brendo111

priorities changed a bit when i discovered the TRD :) but there are none for sale. what would be the next best? if im looking for something quick that is. something d4d like Croco suggests?

Did you look? there are 16 for sale on carpoint, 2 of them in WA. Instead of going for the next best thing I think that you are going to be best off working out what you need and what you want, that way you wont end up getting something that you wont be happy with.

The D4D gets a huge improvement with a chip fitted, but still falls short of even a stock V6 Hilux.

If you only want a (relatively) quick Hilux and don't care about fuel economy, go the V6. The D4D is designed to be a fuel efficient work horse with bucketloads of off-idle torque for pulling heavy loads etc.

The concern I have with the TRD Hilux's is that that they're very fast but still can't corner very well (for obvious reasons), so it's very much a one trick pony.

Perhaps if you can be a little clearer in what you want to use it for it might help us with suggestions?

i looked on gumtree and carsales, ill check out carpoint now. im a bit surprised at 16L/100km. thats all city driving i guess, combined its supposed to be a bit lower.

ok, so what i want it for is.. something to get to work and back (no load), the odd firewood run pulling a 2 tonne trailer, and everynow and again beach fishing. im no hoon so i wont be going mad with it, but i do like to have a bit of power behind me

With the D4D you'll get good economy, but be slower than nanna in her 4 cylinder hatchback (at least off the line)

With the V6 it'll behave almost like a car and whilst not fast, it will be nippy enough.

I can get around 650km out of my tank (possibly more) and that's not driving it gently around town. Food for thought. Check out the Newhilux forums, they're a boon of information on exactly this type of discussion

Hi brendan, the stock 4.0v6 would be fine if you not towing on a regular basis, they can be a little bit thirsty if you drive them hard, but if you dont drive lt like you stole it you will be fine, personally I dont think 4.0v6 isnt to bad on fuel, sure they wont match the d4d diesel for economy, I reckon the standard 4.0v6 goes harder enough, they may only have 175kw but they really go harder than the numbers suggest., another ute thats goes good with a v6 is the navara , they go like a scalded cat, BUT BOY DONT THEY LIKE A DRINK.

I think you can no longer buy a new navara v6 petrol, so you will have to buy used.

The d4d diesel still are a good choice if you are towing and carrying heavy loads, personally I reckon there performance is more than enough, they may not be quiet as quick as the 4.0 v6, but there not that much slower.

The d4d diesel would have better resale value to.

Only way mate is test drive both and see which one you like best.

i have driven the 3L d4d which i thought was a bit slow, will now try to take the 4L and 4Lv6 when i get a bit of time. cheers guys, taking it all into consideration