95 Camry Vienta timing belt

jdeon

Hey guys

I've got a 1995 Camry Vienta CSX

It's done about 180 000k and the belt starts to cry a bit every know and then. Doesn't happen to often.

My questions are:

- is it an interference engine? That would mean I'll have to react soon...

- how much should changing the belt usually be? As far as I'm concerned, it would make sense to change the water pump as well. How much extra would that be?

Thanks heaps

Edit: After googling a bit further it seems like only the older 1.5 engines in Camrys were interference engines.

This one is a 3.0 V6.

Edited by jdeon

I have a 1999 V6 Camry, which at the time had only done 113,000 K's, but was almost 12 years old. I had the Timing Belt, Water pump and all other belts replaced in December 2010. That cost me $960.00 by my mechanic.

The recommended service for my model to change the timing belt is 150,000 K's or 10 years. It's cheaper to replace the timing belt then it is the engine if the timing belt breaks.

Thanks, ozcaddy

960...ouch. I really can't afford that at the moment. Was that a Toyota dealer or some local garage?

I think the recommended mileage for the 95 is every 90 000km. I don't really know when it was done last time. I only bought the car recently.

The recommended service for my model to change the timing belt is 150,000 K's or 10 years. It's cheaper to replace the timing belt then it is the engine if the timing belt breaks.

The engine shouldn't need any repair if the belt breaks, it's a non-interference engine.

That was my local mechanic, can't imagine what Toyota Service would cost. I had only bought my car 4 months before getting it done, could not risk the time factor of 12 years.

Normally, when timing belt is changed they place a sticker on the timing cover telling the mileage and date the belt was changed.

Edited by Ozzcaddy

Before even getting there (didn't find it yet), I saw that the engine is leaking oil on the right side. ****.

Will try to get hold of a mechanic to have a look at it. I'm not happy right now....

EDIT: It's the head gasket...I will monitor it for a while to see how much oil it's losing.

Edited by jdeon

Most mechanics recommend replacing the water pump when you do the timing belt: better to do it all at once than have to do it all again when your w/p packs it in

my 99' Camry (2.2L engine) is leaking engine oil and which make so smelly as dropping onto exhaust.

When I show to mechanic, he said 2 oil leakage happen.

Major one is oil leaking from seal of timing belt, he show me at driver side of engine and oil slowing leaking toward onto exhaust pipe..

Another one is passender side of engine (middle of the engine block, not major but I can see oil stink from engine)

My timing belt is due at next 30000 kilos but he reckon to change all Timing Belt, seal and water pump and quote me nearly 1000, is that good price?

my car is just low K at 161K on the clock.

Edited by thSydney

If the oil leaking is from the timing belt area, chance is that oil will get on the timing belt itself which will eventually degrade the timing belt. I personally would get the timing belt changed. $1,000 sounds about right as that is what I paid back in 2010 for my 1999 V6.

Just make sure that the other parts are also being replaced such as water pump,timing belt tensioner, seals, bearings as well as coolant and maybe the other belts that you also have in case oil has sprayed onto them for that price.