getting wires from engine bay to passenger cabin

billi2

We own a 2010 ATX Aurion and need to get some wires from the engine bay into the passenger cabin to wire up a Tekinsha P3 brake controller, The actual wiring of the unit seems straight forward but I can't see a simple way to get the power wire from the battery through the firewall to the P3 unit. There is a mass of wires in there but with everything else under the bonnet it is hard to get a clear view of any grommets or other access points.

Any help appreciated

On my 2010 Touring, I have not tried yet but on the battery side behind the airfilter box there is an ECU looking silver box that has a harness with a mass of wires that go into the firewall into the fuse and wiring plug box behind the glovebox inside, I am hoping to run my wires through there. There is even some black gromment looking things that stick out of the rubber boot that seals that ECU looking box's wires through the firewall, that's my plan of attack if it works for all the wires I want to run from the engine bay/battery to inside and inside wires into the engine compartment...Hope that helps.

The easiest way to get a wire through into the footwell is with a coat hanger , Ive always done this and cut the hook part of the hanger off and bend the rest straight .. then just use electrical tape and tape your wire to the hanger and place it through an available hole or through an exisiting grommet , just take care to to pierce any exisiting wires and your set .. makes life very very easy.

Thanks for all that, I got a mirror & torch and found the black grommet with the nipples. I will try using one of the nipples 1st, if that does not work i will move to plan B and try the other 2 suggestions. I will report on my success or otherwise.

many thanks

I drilled a hole through the firewall near the top corner on the passenger side when i was building my sound system.

Damn. Lol. I just fed my wire through the nipple. Takes two people but it is doable.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me the colour of the horn wire coming down the steering column? I'm fitting air horns for wildlife and inconsiderate drivers who pull out in front of me. I want to set it up so I can switch from the standard horns to the airhorns with a toggle switch, also is it a negative/earth contact swtich or positive power from the steering wheel pad?

• 1 month later...

On the passengers side of the firewall (from the engine bay) you will see a loom that goes into the firewall. On either side of it there is a long nipple of hollow rubber. What I did was cut the end off and fed the power cable through from the inside (passengers foot well). You will need to remove the bottom cover attached to the glove box. Easy option and the wire is sleeved in the rubber.

• 3 weeks later...

I have one of those tool pickup things that you push on the end and 4 claw like steel grabbers come out the other end, if there is enough room I have fed that through 1st then grabbed the wire and pulled it all back through, I use this when going from the one side of the dash to the other and it also worked in the rubber tubing from the car into the door, I pulled the boot out at each end, fed the tool grabberd up the guts of it then fed the wire into the claws and just pulled in back through. You will know the thing, got it from Jaycar but most car shops have them, quick pickups or something like that they are called.

Edited by SATORI893