Hilux Headlight Upgrade

Hilux2004

Cost of OEM Koito 70/60 Watt Sealed Beam Headlights from Toyota Spare Parts are $153 each. On Ebay 2 x 100/75 watt sealed beam headlights are about $80 a pair. Toyota advise the increased amperage may damage wiring. Has anyone gone ahead and done this and did you have any problems with damaged wiring. One suggestion was to run for 15 minutes and feel the wiring afterwards for any discernible difference in temperature. As I am running with one OEM and one new 100/75 I will do this.

I have had difficulty tracking down an after market version of the OEM. Other than Toyota Spare Parts they don't seem to exist.

100w will not burn out the wires - a straight swap will be fine. you can run a relay etc if you want to be doubly sure byt not necessary from my experience.

headlight-relays.gif

Thanks for the info Travis.

The existing Hilux 2004 Headlamp Fuses are 10 amp. With 100 watt bulbs they will have to handle 8.3 amps. I am wondering with the increased amps together with wear and tear, dirt and corrosion etc over time if they would become failure prone. If so would replacing them with 15 amp fuses have any adverse affects.

Mate go to any wreckingyard and pick your self up a pair of Headlights that accept a 55/60 watt Quartz Halogen globe.Any number of cars had them as they fit a multitude of different vehicles.Piece of p*ss to fit.While you are there stock up on spare Q/H globes. Trust me you wont need wattages such as 90/130 watt. Stick with the 55/60watt and you wont go wrong.

Depending on where you go they will probably let you have them for $20 each

Is it just the bulb you are after? Toyota have 60/55w for $40ea, i couldn't see 70/60w. Will need more details on the car or a VIN to get a proper price but what they quoted you if that is just for the bulbs I don't think that is right.

I've fitted the sealed beam headlights that came with 75/100 watt bulbs. Got them from CarsRus on Ebay/Online who also sell other Toyota spare parts.These are those blue bulbs.They produce a whiter light (4000K) by passing light through the blue which acts as a filter. The increased wattage is to compensate for the loss of light in the filter. Vision is significantly better than the OEM headlights. One drawback with whiter light however is that it reflects more brightly off road signs. Another thing to watch out for is the convergence of the cheaper Chinese bulbs which is often out. So far have had no problems with extra amps although haven't done any long night trips yet. Perhaps a relay would be good insurance.

Also found out I could have got replacement Hansa sealed beams from SuperCheap Auto. Would consider semi sealed next time with Phillips or Osram globes. Semi sealed offer easier upgrade with improving bulb technology. They could probably also be sealed if required.

Look forward to an LED headlight one day being an option.

Fair dinkum mate please dont think i am being a wowser but sealed beams went out in the early 80,s :whistling: .You do realise one stone chip in the lense and you can kiss that light good bye,it will blow the filament quicker than you can blink.Also some of those so called BLUE globes/lights might be bloody bright to look at,but in certain conditions such as low ambient light or misty drizzle you will lucky to see any road in front of you.Just a tip keep your receipt for a refund if you find they dont perform how they should.I personally would of installed a pair of semi sealed beams and the choice of quartz halogen globes are endless.

Everyone on their own ,hope they do what you ask of theem, cheers

http://www.expressca...d-lamp-l-r.aspx

Sealed Beam Headlights $25 each (+ postage $12.60 for a pair)

My OEM sealed beam headlight did indeed fail from a stone chip. It was 8 years old. The other one still works fine. I have a friend who has the original sealed beam headlights on his 20 year old car that has done over 300000 kms.

At the price above they do the job.

Good to hear Hilux 2004 that you have sorted it all out and everything is all good to go again mate,

take care mate, :clap:

Cheers CONROD

I just think it's mean of Toyota not to fit decent lights in the first place. BTW My OEM sealed beams are way out of pre-focus too, far too much change between the settings, & no lever-operated light adjustments either. Mean & stingy.