reliable ute

wishbone

hey guys,

im in the market for a cheap reliable ute and came across a 1.8L hilux. what can anyone tell me about the 2y engine? what should i look out for? i saw one with a suspected oil leak coming from the rocker cover, how much will that set me back to get repaired? i just want something thats cheap and reliable and wont cost me an arm and leg to keep running or fix, im a full student and need a vehicle to get to work.

thanks

Mate had a hilux with the 2y-1.8lt engine,was also a 4 speed column change.These are what Toyota classed as a GRINNER, dont let the fact that its only a 1.8 lt engine put you off.They have hydraulic lifters/electronic ignition and they run on the smell of an oily rag.Went from Newcastle to Melbourne return,sat on 110-115 kph no probs,also pulled hills with very little effort.You will find due to the gearing that once you are in top gear you will be able to take roundabouts and corners whilst leaving it in top.It will just pull away with no labouring,

Just check when you start it up from cold it might rattle lightly from the front until the oil pressure pushes the timing chain tensioner out,then all should be quiet.If it really rattles bad then goes quiet,a new chain will fix that.They are cheep as chips for a quality replacement,and from memory the rocker cover is held on by 3or4 fastners on top of the cover,and the gasket is neophrine once again cheap to replace

Cheers Conrod

Edited by CONROD

thanks conrod.

Im looking for something thats cheap on fuel too and 1.8L sounds good. However, what should i look out for in these utes? The rocker cover gaskets how much are they are replace? and are these engines bullet proof? do they have a timing chain on them? i just dont want something breaking down on me. Can they run the E10 fuel too?

thanks!

Edit: Didnt see your edit, conrod, till i posted it up. Thanks. So your saying these engines are tough as nuts and i shouldnt be too worried about them?

Edited by wishbone

Yes mate do your normal checks,make sure its got nice clean coolant ,preferably green to prevent the passage ways in the head from corroding away :g: .These engines were also used wordwide in forklifts.Running all day everyday :toast: .

Have a look and work out what needs replacing such as rocker cover gasket etc.

Another cost effective way to get all the gaskets you will need is to get a ( VRS ) KIT Valve Regrind Set ,

It will contain new Head Gasket,Manifold Gaskets,Valve stem seals,rocker cover gasket,etc,etc,etc

thanks again, had a look at the ute and there is a leak at the top of the radiator and theres a leak where the rocker cover gasket is. Should i walk away from this car or is that something that can be fixed without any on going problems.