Sportivo, is it worth it?

are you a P plater? what are your needs?

lots of variables involved, sportivos are pretty boring, though i can say the same for the other cars you mentioned.

Depends on what you are after. Some people might like the low down torque of the Mazda, while others might like the high revs and noise of the Sportivo. The SP23 is more of a match to the Sportivo than the sportmaxx. There will obviously be biased opinions here towards the Toyota, and I'll be no different. But based on the 3 cars mentioned the Sportivo suits me better. I don't find it boring, but it depends on what YOU are after. Celicas of the same era tend to be cheaper, so could be worthwhile looking into if you don't mind 2 doors.

well i'm going to get flamed.

may i suggest a DC5R or DC2R? heaps of power, P plate legal, heaps of cheap and accessible mods

ur not going to get flamed. not on tocau at least... :spiteful:

i ask on behave of the people above again: what do u look for in a car?

SP23 better to drive around the city and day to day, due to the torque. I like the sp23 interior more as well, the sound quality is better, steering wheel audio controls, aux imput, projector lights, more boot space. But then when you drive the sportivo hard, and actually use the whole rev range, almost all is forgotten haha. Get the sporitvo a cold air intake and the sound of the crossover to lift is pretty addictive.

I swapped cars with my mate for a week so I was able to compare the both really well. If I had to choose.... I'd be pretty stumped lol.

At Wakefield, I was lapping abit quicker then him. Not sure if it was because of the car or driver ^_^

Oh, forgot to mention if you're doing alot of highway driving like me, the SP23 is winning there. More torque to get up the hills and cruise control.

Oh ****, just realised you weren't asking about a SP23 :blush:

For me the sportivo ticked all the boxes. Reliable, very good on fuel, looks good, safe and above all really fun to drive and quite powerful if you use the whole rev range. And with a few mods it can be quite a zippy car.

But Yeh its what you want to get out of a car.

Love my Sportivo. Have owed a prelude before and I'd say the prelude is only a touch quicker but sacrifices everything else you get in the corolla. The sportivo's are more expensive but its a toyota so it holds its value and also comes with all the options (leather seats, climate control, 6 cd stacker 6 speaker stereo, all power options, airbags, 6 speed manual and the celica engine...). I'm biased but i really dont think that you'd be disappointed.

I was in the same position, I had $15k saved to spend on a car.

My options were 2004-2006 Sportivo, 1999-2000 DC2 Integra Type R, 1999-2000 Civic EM1 & 2005-2006 SP23.

My opinions:

Sportivo-

best option for me because great on fuel, 1.8L engine, comes with all luxuries such as leather seats, 6 stacker cd, body kit, alloy wheels & the whole lot. Plus has a fair bit of grunt because of the 2ZZGE VVTL-i engine. Servicing is great because toyota parts are cheap & affordable.

DC2 Integra Type R-

Was pretty keen on buying one because of the whole VTEC cross over & easily modifying options although it was 2 door. Couldn't really find a clean one with legit kms. Insurance pretty high as well for Under 25's. Honda maintennance works out pretty expensive when it comes to major servicing. Not really ideal for an everyday car. I found the recaros uncomfortable & the ride wasn't really soft because after all, the DC2 is a sports car.

Civic EM1-

Great car. suited everything of my wants & needs in an everyday car but the only thing pulling me down was the age. It's a 1999-2000 model. Which meant I'd have to give it more attention mechanically as so

SP23-

Has all the luxuries but the engine was a bit too big for everyday drive considering I'm a full time uni student & work 4 days a week. I needed something that's a 1.8L - 2.0L engine. Mechanically, mazda parts are affordable too.

I ended up buying a 2005 sportivo mainly because I owned a Nissan Pulsar SSS while I was on my red p's & I loved the whole hatch body shape. When I looked into Sportivo's, I fell in love with them. The fact that it's a 6 speed manual pushing almost 150kws on the front wheels along with it's leather interior & nice trims just made me want it so much more! Also, it's a Toyota, you can never go wrong with Toyota! Insurance was decent on it. I don't mind racking up the kms driving from home to uni almost 4-5 days a week then driving from uni to work & back home 4 days a week also going out here & there for cruises & things. It's all worth it & I'm planning on keeping my sportivo for as long as I can.

I'd suggest you sportivo mate! Great cars & real powerful for it's size if you know the correct way to drive it!