Oils aint oils

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

working for an auotmotive spare parts company ,Ive tried everything from valvoline,castrol to motul oils<ive come to the conclusion that Penrite HPR10 is my choice,ITll be waste of money using full syn so recommended to use the semi option.as long as it complies with the specs, it comes down to how much u wanna pay? ranging from $28 to $130 (yes that much is possible)

Gearbox uses the REDLINE OILS shockproof lightweight (Blue) & Radiator additive (water wetter) & fuel additive (SI-1 )

As long as it protects our love ones(cars) & doesnt get in the way with our lifestyles(like paying for a tankful of Ultimate 98 )go for it,We wouldnt be here in the forum if we didnt acre for our rigs right?? :D

there's a reason it's so cheap... I used it last change (Castrol Edge 5-30), and I'll never use it again... Fuchs was better

If it's in relation to the way the oil looks when it comes out Dylan that's perfectly normal. Edge is very very light in colour, which made me think for a second. However the Royal Purple stuff looks weird as well and it's probably the some of the best stuff you can get.

It's not usually 'that' cheap either. Around $69 when I bought it.

Hi everyone, I'm planning to get ELF 10-30W, Fully Sythetic oil. It costs $55 from Autobaun.

Have any of you tried this?? Or any input??

What you guys reckon? :)

i use ELF fully synthetic 10w30

have always used it ....use to use it in my Vtir DC2

go for it man

all I know is that my oil has never looked this dark before...

That's perfectly normal Dyl. My godfather is a distributor for Castrol, has been for 4 decades so if I was ever going to trust anyone it'd be him lol. I was worried as well when I first saw it. That's just the oil doing it's job apparently.

the last time i went to get me car serviced at toyota when i got the reciept back it said that they used Magnatec but im not too sure if the changed the oil filter because i changed the oil every 5000kms but i cbf checking, next time im gonna mark it with a white pen to make sure they did change it.

Castrol Edge Sport 5W/30 5L is on special at Supercheap, $39.90

Go get some!

Thanks for the heads up ! I've been waiting for a special on this and have just picked up two of them. :D

No worries mate, glad I helped someone out :)

WYTNYT I think IZZ-FE does that, sounds like a good idea :clap:

• 2 months later...

Just want to bump start an old thread - I have been changing my oil recently every 5,000km since the Corolla & Starlet had done 80,000km each.

I use an el cheapo Shell Helix Super 20W-50 but have added a 20% mix of Lucal Oil Heavy Duty Oil Stabiliser. I don't seem to notice the engine running worse though. I'd like to protect my engine from the cold starts as much as I can as this is where most wear occurs. I change the oil filter every 5,000km with a genuine Toyota filter.

Any comments?

Edited by Heatwave

you shouldn't need to be adding anything to your oil if the engine has only done 80,000km.

MAP81 has used Mobil1 fully synthetic oil in his car from new, we pulled the top off his engine at 80,000km and it looked like new. Unlike a lot of other engines with similar K's I've pulled down.

Also regarding using redline skockproof oil in the boxes, if your syncho's aren't crunching, dont use it. There's been evidence of shockproof causing good synchro's to glaze recently, requiring the boxes to be stripped down and sychro's lapped/replaced to get the box shifting well again. There's a good thread at toymods on the topic.

Edited by rollamods

Rollamods - how often does MAP81 change his oil intervals and does he change the filter with every change?

I thought prevention is better than cure so a bit of extra protection on a cheapie engine oil won't hurt and still ends up cheaper than a fully synthetic Mobil 1 oil.

I only use normal oil like MT90 or MTL in C series sychro boxes that are in good condition, I use the shockproof oil in boxes where the synchro's are worn out as it buys more time before needing to pull the box down and rebuild it.

MAP81 changes the oil and filter every 5000km, there's no point changing the oil if you're not going to do the filter.

• 2 months later...

Castrol Edge Sport 5W/30 5L is on special at Supercheap, $39.90

Go get some!

Now on special at Autobarn for $49.99 :blink:

There's also a Motul fully-synthetic 5W/40 for $62.99 from memory, anybody used Motul?

I use Motul. The stuff your refering to is the 300V, I use the slightly lower grade synthetic, 4100 turbolight (10w40) because I'm a uni bum and it is like $45. I have used the 300V before, but is impossible to say how good the oil is without a used oil analysis.

iv used motul 300V for the past 35000 kms with oil and filter changes every 5000....

fantastic oil imo but u pay for it :angry:

my other pick would be mobil 1 gold 10w30....slightly cheaper and probably just as good as the 300v

:)