Oils aint oils

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start a joke thread in other discussion or something then...your input is fairly limited at best, and the humour is barely scrapping grade 7...so I am glad that I annoy you...maybe when you grow up you will learn when to shut up...and stay out of something unless you have some valid information or a intelligent response.

Bob, not wanting to start an arguement with you, but something you'll notice on this forum (which I know I and others appreciate) is that posters here try hard not to take things too seriously if they can help it.

Sometimes it'll be a friendly jibe at someone, sometimes it'll be like Mintos' joke, sometimes it'll go right off topic completely. Nothing to get flustered about, just relax and enjoy.

There are topics on here that have absolutely no relevance to me whatsoever, but they crack me up so much, I can't put them down (to use a book analogy)!

If your bothering to change the oil then you may as well change the filter.

Slight correction on the filter, they're a little more than $5 unless your getting them at cost or using 'black and gold' filters.

They are closer to $20 retail.

No one should ever use "black and gold" filters...$20 damn I get my K&N ones for the skyline cheaper than that... :o

I will find something I had ages ago re testing done on filters and post it if I can find it. Basically it was a comparison between the generic filters and factory ones (mainly nissan in this case) and found that the factory ones are far superior than the Ryco or Valvoline ones...

Mintos is always joking and providing little input...

Threads providing information turn into spam threads if this occurs...thus my reply Buddha.

Oh and there is always room for a joke...not a joker :D

Its good to know you have read every 90 what of my posts made on this forum Bob. Rather than assuming my posting history and personality Bob, hang around a bit longer and see what i have to say.

I may not have alot to say about half of the topics here as they are exclusively sportivo related, however if there is any way i can contribute knowledge or amusement i will.

My 1zz uses Mobile Synth S 10W-40 and is replaced whenever i see fit (i check the oil every few weeks). The filter is only changed on every 10k service as my mechanic agrees that they last well in these cars - not sure what brand filter...

My 1zz uses Mobile Synth S 10W-40 and is replaced whenever i see fit (i check the oil every few weeks). The filter is only changed on every 10k service as my mechanic agrees that they last well in these cars - not sure what brand filter...

Now that is better...

Northy...what are you on about... :P

• 2 months later...

Castrol Magnetic is rubbish. I wouldn't put it on the chain on my mountain bike :(

On a Falex friction machine using the vee block and pin where the vee block progressively get tighter on the pin the magnetic had the worst results of any of the oils tested(some 20 in total) and failed at 750 pounds per sq inch. the best was the Mobil 1 synthetic which lasted to just under 2500 pounds per sq inch. I will try to post the results sheet that I have from the test that the University of Qld did on this machine testing the lubricating qualities of oils under harsh conditions.

It's an interesting read ;)

Silvabullit, you have that doc now?

My thoughts on oil ....

1) The Toyota oil is made by ALMC (a combination BP and Caltex) of which is in Brisbane , they make a lot of oils to specification like Valvoline, BP, Caltex...... most oils are made there to the manufacturing specs. :)

2) using non Toyota oil could void your warranty. Honda uses this trick, they can test it for spectrum in a lab. There are many S2000 owners with blown up engines (5-6 in Brisbane due to a H issue. None of them seem to be replaced on warranty, any excuse, a track day, wrong oil ...... :(

just my thoughts.... B)

My thoughts on oil ....

1) The Toyota oil is made by ALMC (a combination BP and Caltex) of which is in Brisbane , they make a lot of oils to specification like Valvoline, BP, Caltex...... most oils are made there to the manufacturing specs. :)

2) using non Toyota oil could void your warranty. Honda uses this trick, they can test it for spectrum in a lab. There are many S2000 owners with blown up engines (5-6 in Brisbane due to a H issue. None of them seem to be replaced on warranty, any excuse, a track day, wrong oil ...... :(

just my thoughts.... B)

Dude, I don't agree with you.

It's stated in the car manual, (Corrolla manual, not sure it would be different in a Camry) , as long as we use the oil that follow the spec as specified in the manual, we will not have problem with the warranty.

As I remember it should be in the "Do it yourself maintainence" section of the manual.

My thoughts on oil ....

just my thoughts.... B)

Dude, I don't agree with you.

It's stated in the car manual, (Corrolla manual, not sure it would be different in a Camry) , as long as we use the oil that follow the spec as specified in the manual, we will not have problem with the warranty.

As I remember it should be in the "Do it yourself maintainence" section of the manual.

I know Perthcamry works for a dealer, so he's probably seen more warranty disputes than I've had hot meals (and I've had a lot of hot meals! :P ) ... but if using non-Toyota oil voids your warranty, then there's a lot of dealer serviced cars running around with voided warranties!

A number of Toyota dealers on the northside of Brisbane I know use Castrol of one type or another, so those customers are "at risk" straight away.

According to Fair Trading here in Queensland, parts or fluids used must be shown to meet either Manufacturer standard or Australian Standards, and the work needs to be done by a licenced mechanic, so as long as you follow those guidelines, the warranty has to be honoured.

The S200 issue is prolly not so much to do with the brand of oil but more to do with the owners not doing the services at the recommended service intervals. I've got a few friends who work for Honda and the S2000 has to have the oil changed every 5000kms(or something close to that) because of the type of engine they are(high revving N/A). They actually use a little bit of oil not through crankcase pressure and the ability to rev highly for long periods.

If you don't do you services at the regular intervals then you run low on oil and then you lose oil pressure and the rest is all mathematical. 1 case that i heard of was a S2000 owner complaining of an engine knock which was big ends and when they checked his servicing record he had gone 22 000 kms with out a service and hence the oil level was really low and oops! Sorry about the engine knock but it's not covered by warranty because you didn't do the services.

Honda design there engines to only use thier oils. My old Honda Legend was known for developing a lifter knock if it wasnt services every 5K with Honda Oil. Although Honda replaced theses the lifters under warranty.

I believe Toyota is different. My dealer always asks me if I am supplying my own oil at each service. I still prefer to use what they recomend anyway, and you cant go wrong.

The ones with blown motors might have also been over-reved. You just need one good over-rev to 11,000-12,000rpm to bend something in these high revving engines (2zzge incuded). Maybe its the shifter gates, the DC5 IntegraRs have a very notorious 3-4 gate whic can end up in 2nd gear if you don't concentrate. Maybe the super slick S2000 shifter mechanism have the same problems as the TypeR and that will be driver fault hence no warranty coverage.

i worked for mobil for 6 years and have seen mobil 1 used on everything from porches to classic mgs and rally cars in my opinion this oil is fantastic, motul is another great oil but it has too many additives too enrich the synthetic blend. I have not reached my 1k service yet but it will be the oil of choice after that in my sportivo for sure :D

My dealer always asks me if I am supplying my own oil at each service.

Gee, it seems like you have a Toyota dealer who ... dare I say it ... cares about you!

What an interesting phenomenon ... :P

The ones with blown motors might have also been over-reved. You just need one good over-rev to 11,000-12,000rpm to bend something in these high revving engines (2zzge incuded). Maybe its the shifter gates, the DC5 IntegraRs have a very notorious 3-4 gate whic can end up in 2nd gear if you don't concentrate. Maybe the super slick S2000 shifter mechanism have the same problems as the TypeR and that will be driver fault hence no warranty coverage.

Different gear box in the S2000 to the type r. The majority that I've heard about are "lack of oil related" but there has been 1 instance that a miss shift was prolly the case due to a couple of bent valves. :o

i worked for mobil for 6 years and have seen mobil 1 used on everything from porches to classic mgs and rally cars in my opinion this oil is fantastic, motul is another great oil but it has too many additives too enrich the synthetic blend. I have not reached my 1k service yet but it will be the oil of choice after that in my sportivo for sure :D

mmm you work at mobil make you can give us some info..

The mobile 1 team here in australia was shut down right? so it's all imported now? Just want facts to confirm rumours.. can't believe reps that talk to you.. hahaha

Because I was speaking with the Anglomoil Rep and he told me that some of the guys who worked on the Mobile 1 oil team has now moved to Anglomoil and developing they Syn oil..

I personally use Elf and Royal Purple now..

Over at the Honda forums, someone got a written reply from Honda Australia that warranty is not void if you use oil of any other brands as long as it meets or exceeds the recommended specs. They stated that warranty is void only if the investigation shows that the oil was the cause of engine failure. Since good synthetic oil exceeds the specification of the OEM Honda oil, the only way failure can happen is that the oil was not changed in the 6 month intervals, or if the oil level was allowed to run low.

So most of us there use our own oil. In fact, the 10w-30 Honda oil that is sold is mineral based. Heck, my dealer was putting in 10w-40 Magnetec since the first service too. How is Toyota's opinion on engine oils of other brands? Someone write to Toyota. Oh yeah, I'm using Castrol Formula R 0-w40 now. It's good and protects nicely. BTW, for those scared of 0W, it's the same viscosity as 5w, just that it maintains that 5w viscosity for an additional 10 degrees C lower than 5w. :)

Edited by aaronng