White smoke on starting car...

Jaston

Hi there everyone,

First time on a forum and first post so here I go.. I have a 2009 kluger kxs fwd and wanted to know any views on white smoke blowing from muffler.. Has been sitting through the night and turning it on this morning white smoke was pouring out for about 5min.. Really don't know if this is normal but I will take it back down to Toyota for a check, but wanted to know any views from owners themselves if they know what the haps is.. It's a used kluger which I only got yesterday with about 82k on it and runs well and all is good so far apart from turning the engine on this morning with white smoke pouring out...

Hopefully I can get some views and help on the topic and would much appreciate it..

Cheers

Jaston

its just the condensation within the exhaust pipes and its thawing it out the exhaust. if its white smoke when its warm, ur oil is overfilled. which i doubt the case since toyota serviced it.

every car has this on cold start. esp in colder climates.

Hi there everyone,

First time on a forum and first post so here I go.. I have a 2009 kluger kxs fwd and wanted to know any views on white smoke blowing from muffler.. Has been sitting through the night and turning it on this morning white smoke was pouring out for about 5min.. Really don't know if this is normal but I will take it back down to Toyota for a check, but wanted to know any views from owners themselves if they know what the haps is.. It's a used kluger which I only got yesterday with about 82k on it and runs well and all is good so far apart from turning the engine on this morning with white smoke pouring out...

Hopefully I can get some views and help on the topic and would much appreciate it..

Cheers

Jaston

First of was it really 5 minutes and was the weather very cold? Shorter bursts of white smoke (steam) are normal if it's really cold weather it's simply condensation drying out. But normally only for a minute or so.

I'm no Kluger expert but based on general experience if it's really bad and persists my thoughts are :

If the white smoke is oil-

The car over full with oil

The stem seals on the valves are worn.

The piston rings are worn

The pcv (positive crankcase ventilation) valve is blocked

If the white smoke is coolant/antifreeze-

Blown head gasket

Coolant leak into the induction system (vacuum operated heater valve?)

Check if the white smoke has an oily smell or the exhaust is very sooty and black.

Either way I'd hope the car has some kind of used car warranty.

Keep us in loop as to what is found.

Edited by robmac1

Hi there everyone,

Cheers

Jaston

Oil will produce "blue" smoke not white.

Most likely if it is only for a few minutes, as Kenshin stated, it is more than likely condensation. If it persists for a greater period of time then there is a possibility there are larger issues at hand, but lets not jump the gun.

Hi there everyone,

Cheers

Jaston

Oil will produce "blue" smoke not white.

Most likely if it is only for a few minutes, as Kenshin stated, it is more than likely condensation. If it persists for a greater period of time then there is a possibility there are larger issues at hand, but lets not jump the gun.

Under load oil will usually burn "blue" due to more complete combustion.

At idle, when combustion is incomplete, oils can burn "white".

Synthetic and semi synthetic oils burn with different colours (and smells) to mineral oils.

Mineral oils create the classic "blue haze" behind the vehicle.

I agree with you in so much it's not likely that such a new vehicle has serious problems.

But since it has just been purchased a degree of caution is prudent.

Edited by robmac1

Hi everyone,

Just an update on my kluger white smoke problem.. I had the car for one night and the morning after I turned it on I noticed the smoke.. I took it back to Toyota that morning and they said it was condensation and it was normal.. So I left and drove up the highway and saw smoke pouring out again an hour later while driving.. So from then I video recorded what was going on and left the car standing for an hour midday on Sunday (very hot day) and on turning it back on white smoke poured out again and all was recorded.. I took the car back to Toyota on monday, showed them the videos and they said that it wasn't normal and it wasn't condensation.. They gave me a car to drive while they fully diagnosed the car and are handling the situation very good.. I just got told the head is gone but they are fixing it and putting a new motor in it but don't know the full details ( just that the head is gone )... Still have there car to drive for now, but thanks for the feedback and would still appreciate any more views on what is going on..

The situation is inconvenient but Toyota is handling it very professionally and are doing their best to resolve the issue ASAP..

Cheers everyone

Jaston

I assume you purchased the Kluger off the dealer who is servicing it or is it still under some kind of Toyota Warranty?

Regardless, I wish you all the best in getting it repaired at minimum cost and inconvenience. :mellow:

FWIW , some googling suggests that the Toyota Highlander (very similar vehicle to the Kluger in other countries) have a low level head gasket issue that usually shows up at less than 100,000km.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just an update on my kluger white smoke problem.. I had the car for one night and the morning after I turned it on I noticed the smoke.. I took it back to Toyota that morning and they said it was condensation and it was normal.. So I left and drove up the highway and saw smoke pouring out again an hour later while driving.. So from then I video recorded what was going on and left the car standing for an hour midday on Sunday (very hot day) and on turning it back on white smoke poured out again and all was recorded.. I took the car back to Toyota on monday, showed them the videos and they said that it wasn't normal and it wasn't condensation.. They gave me a car to drive while they fully diagnosed the car and are handling the situation very good.. I just got told the head is gone but they are fixing it and putting a new motor in it but don't know the full details ( just that the head is gone )... Still have there car to drive for now, but thanks for the feedback and would still appreciate any more views on what is going on..

The situation is inconvenient but Toyota is handling it very professionally and are doing their best to resolve the issue ASAP..

Cheers everyone

Jaston

What's the update on this?

How'd it happen?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jaston,

I'm seeing the same issue on mine. Just purchased (*2008 Grande from Dealer) and like yourself fearing the worst. Took it back to them this morning and was told that there is no issue. As this is the service centre attached to the dealership (careful buying a Toyota from a Nissan Dealer) I am required to service this here. The dealer's comment was don't put E10 in the Kluger as it causes this (Ha!) - Great I've had it for less than a single tank of 98ULP and I hear this.

Your comment on video-ing the issue will be done on mine as even through I have had assurances from two mechanics (the bloke next door is newly qualified and checked the coolant for bubbles and milkiness; the oil for the creamy colour you get when you mix in coolant) the white smoke is a concern.

I asked the dealer today for the results of the emissions test (looking for exhaust in the radiator) and the compression tests; was told that the emission test was negative; the compression was good - though when I asked for a copy of the values was told that these were just okay/not okay reads. I had him add this to the printed out job sheet so this could be used in the future.

Perhaps I just see the worst possible outcome; the car drives beautifully; there's nothing to indicate an issue with the engine outside the smoke and it feels like the accelerator jumps when you put the foot down - in a good way - nothing like any of the sh*tboxes I've driven with cylinder head damage (both Mitsubishis!)

Also would be very keen with how your story ends!

- Adam,

• 3 months later...

Id love to know also, i just purchased a 2008 KXS (55k ONLY on the clock) on the weekend from a well known dealer, the car started blowing white smoke also on start up, or under heavy load (ie climbing a large hill)

I've taken it to the dealer who sold me the car, and we could not diagnose the problem.

He said it would smell like sulpher if it were a gasket leak, and he thinks its water vapor .. Id agree if it only happens when it is cold, but seems to happen when you leave the car for 30+ minutes and then restart, hot or cold day does not matter.

Also it left a belch of white smoke when climbing a hill recently, making me think its a little more significant.

My local Toyota dealership cannot suggest what it might be, any help is appreciated!

""My local Toyota dealership cannot suggest what it might be""", any help is appreciated!

Why am I not surprised??

Keep an eye on your oil & coolant level and also any signs of rough idling or overheating... they are some of the common signs of head gasket problems.

I think you most likely have common condensation issues. More likely if the vehicle is parked outside.

Check your PCV valve... clean it out or replace it if it is not sealing or operating correctly. They can let small amounts of oil through if faulty and give the symptom you are reporting.

A little movie of it on cold startup would be a big help.

Just had a look through some of the posts in the Aurion forum as it is the same motor but no mention that i could see. Take a look at the US toyota owners club also... its known as a highlander over there and is a great source for tips & tricks.

Edited by KX-R & ACV40R

• 1 month later...

Hi All, just wanted to update everyone on this thread as to the resolution for me, hopefully not alarming others with similar sounding issues.

Turns out after repeated returns to the dealer where I purchased this car second hand, they had Toyota come over and have a look.

It was "Toyota Sludging"

According to the dealer the person before me had falsified the log books and the previous 30 worth of services were not cat tied out.

That being said, Toyota said the only fix without causing headaches later was a replacement engine. 2 weeks later, there is now a new engine in my Kluger with just 55k on the click and its driving as it should, with no smoke.

Thanks for everyone's feedback and comments .

• Like 1

Thanks for letting us know the outcome Dennis.
A good lesson for anyone buying a used car... take no notice of the log books!!
Someone who knows the game can pick a car that has not been serviced correctly quick smart.
It is a wonder that the dealer did not realise this was the case when they acquired it??? Or maybe they did... which makes it even worse.

As for the term "Toyota sludge" ???
Sludge or build up can happen in any motor that does not have regular oil & filter changes.

Modern motors perform and last longer than those of long ago but they are very dependant on a couple of little things... oil & filter changes and more importantly cooling system servicing.

• 2 months later...

First time on this too and only in exasperation with our Kluger.

Like initiator, recently purchased 2008 Kluger from prestige dealer. within days/weeks our car was blowing white smoke generally at start up. smoke can be a little smelly.

Dealer has been very good, and so far we have had oil changed and finally a recon engine put in. This morning unfortunately white smoke again.

The smoke does not seem to affect performance and we are otherwise very impressed with our purchase...but we have this issue of occasional white smoke (literally) hanging over our us.

Very annoying and dont know what else to do.

white, 'sweet' smelling smoke will be a head gasket or head, it means the car is burning coolant. If this is happening even when the car is warm (e.g no chance of condensation) then take it back to the dealer. They will need to replace the head gasket at the very least.

A small bit of white smoke is not uncommon with most cars when cold.

When it is dead cold start it up and film it.

That is the problem with buying used... you never know what has been done to the car by the previous owner, even a very good car.

Edited by KX-R & ACV40R