Opinion on new rims

Pah

So N.S.W is the nanny state cause according to the guys at Speedy I can only legally fit up to 7.5" wide wheels and if I was in any other state 8" wouldn't be a problem. Have an enquiry in with the RTA to get clarification will keep you posted

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah the current ones of mine are 8" not so worried about cops more insurance if anything ever happened

just noticed you have an SX6 your standard wheels should have been 7" so 8" is legal on yours go figure :)

Hi guys, just had a quick read through the thread. I was under the impression that the laws were based on the largest size available on the same chassis. My rims are 18 x 8. For example in Qld I was told you could go 2 inches larger. My car came with 16" rims as standard, however, because the sx6 came with 17's from the factory, I could legally fit 19's to it. Not sure about the width issue, I was told by the tyre shop that my old 16 x 6.5 rims could be replaced by 18 x 8 legally. That's an inch and a half wider than standard. Again, I think the law is based on the largest available (ie, sx6, 3500sl, etc).

Pah, as a footnote, have a yarn to the guys at huntsman products in Melbourne. They sent 5 new rims and tyres to Qld for change out of $1600. PM me if you're interested, I'll give you their details.

Thanks Logan, the guys at Speedy told me that NSW was the only state that the width was a problem, still waiting for an answer from the RTA as to why when the Sportivos had 7" standard and the Kappa was a 7.5" option

sorry to hijack this thread..

i'm also in the market for new wheels and tyres. I also have a white aurion and looking for black wheels.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251140475217?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

what do you guys reckon? They also quoted me on cheapo korean tyres (comes from the same factory as kumho apparently...)

I'm looking to get the matte version (not a big fan of gloss).

Thanks Logan, the guys at Speedy told me that NSW was the only state that the width was a problem, still waiting for an answer from the RTA as to why when the Sportivos had 7" standard and the Kappa was a 7.5" option

Jeeesus Pete, i'm runnin 20 x 9.5's with 9" Kumo's im miles over the legal limit.

I always keep my stockers jic. :D

sorry to hijack this thread..

i'm also in the market for new wheels and tyres. I also have a white aurion and looking for black wheels.

http://www.ebay.com....984.m1436.l2649

what do you guys reckon? They also quoted me on cheapo korean tyres (comes from the same factory as kumho apparently...)

I'm looking to get the matte version (not a big fan of gloss).

They look great but I would put on a decent set of tyres

Yer they look good! I went from matt to gloss, looks way better imo and washes up 3 times easier.

The guys at Taleb are really good too. I agree with Pete get good tyres the road noise from cheapie low profiles through an Aurion can drive you nuts at times.

You ganna lower it at all? im keen to see how a low aurion on 18's sits

the guys at taleb told me the gloss looks heaps better than matte and that they sell more gloss than matte.

yeah i do plan on lowering it later down the stage, thinking of getting kings springs off eBay and getting it fitted at my local garage.

Cheers Pete, i kinda wanted to see one "one the deck" just to see what the gap was around the wheel to arch.

When i had my 19's i think it Sat better then with the 20's and i was thinking that 18's would look even better.

but that would make it sit even lower in relation to chassis to road clearance.

Ok results from RTA are in, for those in NSW you can only legally run 1" wider than what is stated on your tyre placard regardless.

Damn Peter, that sucks the big one. How do you go acquiring a tyre placard (ie cheap piece of $*1t sticker) from a sportivo camry, sx6 etc? Just had a look at mine, high right hand side lists 4/6 cyl sedan. Don't know of any 4 cyl aurions so I'd guess it's the same sticker on the camry's as well. If you can find a sticker for the 17" rim, you're laughing. Also, while my tyre placard inside the driver's door jamb lists info for the 16" rim, the owner's manual gives info for the 17" rim. Don't know if this helps or not.

:g: Where the hell do you find a 18 x 7.5" rim. All the rims I looked at when buying mine were 18 x 8".

Where the hell do you find a 18 x 7.5" rim. All the rims I looked at when buying mine were 18 x 8".

ya dont :) 20 x 9.5 ftw :)

Jeeesus ,i had my 17's back on the other day and i just don't think i could go there again, maybe 19's but thats as small as i could run now.

Width dosn't fuss me as much, but once ya seen your car on 245's it's hard to go smaller visually.

The the main fuss about all this is?..... if i have a stack and it's my fault my insurer will find out about my rims and not pay up?

Cause if its just a cop thing....... not fussed at all.

Yeah Luke thats the only problem the cops wouldnt know just the insurers if something did go wrong I have the sort of luck that would see me get denied a claim lol.

Im going to see if I can get a placard with 7" on it so I can fit 8" at least there is not many 7.5" rims Iike out there :)

Cops not the real drama Luke, problem occurs when some d%ck$%^d pulls out in front of you and you clean them up only to have the insurance company tell you that illegal rims were the cause of you failing to stop in time, hence no insurance cover. Trust me, they will use any excuse they can to get out of a claim. (Apologies to anyone who works in the insurance industry but let's face it, you get paid to make money for your boss the same as anyone else. It's called business.)

Yer , my old lady worked for GIO....... she was a claims officer so i should know better.

It really blows tho, every day i drive i risk loosing my car and a massive payout to some one else due to my choice of rim.

That's exactly right. Unfortunately this is the world we live in. Worst thing is, there's only one way out, stop living.

Peter, just did a quick search for rim specs, 2010 camry sportivo came with 17 x 7" rims. Check it out but I think anything around the same age as your car with a sportivo badge on it will have the tyre placard that you need. If worst happens, find one at a wrecker, tear the sticker off and stick it to your car. (Kinda a bit hard for anyone to argue with you if the tyre placard says 17" rim, noone mentioned anything about it being original).

Yeah Logan have a replacement in the pipeline :) and 8" shouldn't be a problem once its rectified

If they do get sheets off Toyota for the specs it will be ok as they fit the Kappas to the AT-X as an option and 1" wider is legal by RTA standards just need the appropriate placard

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Luke they do look alot better :) the tyres ive only done a few k's on but just from the drive home the road noise is all but gone and its alot smoother will update once ive done some driving on them