rear doors panels, rear door speakers

xCalibur_

simple questions:

are there rear door speaker mounts on any aurions ?

how do you remove the rear door panel ?

i ask these as i'm thinking of installing some sort of mid-bass woofer in the doors.

Theres a pretty cool guide on this site on removing front door, just apply that to rears.

But a sub/mid bass in your doors?

They are just deep enuf to take 6x9's and even then only with mounts that push them away from your windows.

Maybe somthing like a swan dv6 in 4 ohm.... but 6inch subs dont add anymore then say your 6x9's......

Get ya door off and have a look let us know what you come up with.

Good luck.

i was thinking of using the front door guide to remove the rears, as i used it to remove the front doors anyway.

however i dont think i'll be using 6 inch subs, i was more along the line of some 8" ones :)

if you've seen on my speaker and amp install post, i'm using a lot of alpine gear, so the alpine 8" subs will be perfect to go with the system

on the other hand, if i were to go through with this mod, i was thinking of cutting the door panels where the pocket is, make a bracket, and go on from there, but only measuring up and time will tell if it is difficult or easy.

I'm pretty happy with the bass extension from the Response 6 x9's kev's , chosen for that exact reason but i recon if i were to add a couple of small subs my choice would be in the open area's in the sides of the boot, Volume wise that area would be pretty close to what you would need for a 6-8inch 4ohm inch driver,

You could prolly even port if desired. I'd imagine this type of setup could easily outperform a single boxed encloser taking up half the boot. would almost have an oem look about it once covered. Simple drop panel setup would let you still have jack use.

My 6x9's in the front doors can rattle the like crazy if i use too much base so i'd imagine the rears would be the same?

i see where you're coming from. i think thats what toyota is missing from their premium audio systems. a dedicated sub. unless they already do and i'm completely oblivious to it.

btw the place you're talking about to place them, is it the empty space just behind the wheel arches, just above where the jack is ?

see i've taken a completely different approach to my system, tweeters for highs, 6.5" for mids/highs and a sub (or two) for lows, just need to fill in the gap between the mids and lows

Appar the new aurions do have a sub! it's in the parcel shelf.

Thats the spot Nath just above the jack behind the wheels. Depends on how low your really looking to go?

The right 6x9 swap in the parcel shelf can get you very close to sub sound. But it's always at a cost.

Usually speed.

Thats what you will get with your setup with the dual subs, speed and accuracy that equals clear loud music.

i always looked at that spot, and found it looked too empty. having some subs would easily make it look more complete

but oh well, making a box that will fit in there AND produce great bass could be difficult

Yer i was having another look today while i waited for the missus to our xmas shopping....... i had a good 40 mins to sit there and look :P

I'd prolly go with somthing half ply half glass, to get the mould shape right, but still be good just to have a panel that could open to allow jack access.

the good ol premade box and sub seems nice and easy :D

it can be done lol, but since you mentioned that spot, i had a good look as well.

if it were done it would be perfect for great bass and maximum boot space, which i currently lack, and will lack even more once the new subs are in :P

I was playing around with the sound settings on my 2011 Touring and after shifting all of the sound to the rear parcel shelf speakers found the amount of sound produced to be rather low compared to the front door and dash speakers (allowing for distance) and the sound quality is very average.

I'm tempted to swap the rear speakers for some of the same size but of better quality.

Do you think this will make a significant difference?

I was playing around with the sound settings on my 2011 Touring and after shifting all of the sound to the rear parcel shelf speakers found the amount of sound produced to be rather low compared to the front door and dash speakers (allowing for distance) and the sound quality is very average.

I'm tempted to swap the rear speakers for some of the same size but of better quality.

Do you think this will make a significant difference?

I upgraded my rear speakers and they do sound heaps better, they did develop a rumble/distortion at low volume so I am in the process of installing an amp as they are underpowered by the factory head unit and need a boost in watts. Sound quality was improved so it did make a big difference, I put in Rockford Fosgate Punch 6 x 9" 4 ways, these will be even better once the amp is in.

Can anyone recommend a speaker/system installer in the inner to outer west or the inner north of Melbourne?

With my old Camry, I just went to JB HiFi, bought the head unit and speakers and got one of their installers to do it.

Can anyone recommend a speaker/system installer in the inner to outer west or the inner north of Melbourne?

With my old Camry, I just went to JB HiFi, bought the head unit and speakers and got one of their installers to do it.

where are you from ?

i have a guy in Roxburg Park Auto One.

Well, I splashed out today and probably went a bit overboard and bought a pair of Alpine SPR-69 6"x9" inch speakers at JB hifi at the Essendon DFO and will get them installed in a week.

I guess this is overkill; one concern was that other speakers may have had trouble fitting due to the two boot opening/closing rails that run along the underside of the rear parcel shelf. These Alpines are a fairly shallow speaker so shouldn't have any problems with fitting.

They are quite a powerfull speaker according to the specs (therefore my overkill comment); I tend not to pump up the volume but rather prefer sound quality and clarity.

Can anyone comment on my thoughts regarding the poor level of sound that is produced by the stock speakers of my 2011 Touring when the Fader is used to move all the sound to the rear speakers?

Well, I splashed out today and probably went a bit overboard and bought a pair of Alpine SPR-69 6"x9" inch speakers at JB hifi at the Essendon DFO and will get them installed in a week.

I guess this is overkill; one concern was that other speakers may have had trouble fitting due to the two boot opening/closing rails that run along the underside of the rear parcel shelf. These Alpines are a fairly shallow speaker so shouldn't have any problems with fitting.

They are quite a powerfull speaker according to the specs (therefore my overkill comment); I tend not to pump up the volume but rather prefer sound quality and clarity.

Can anyone comment on my thoughts regarding the poor level of sound that is produced by the stock speakers of my 2011 Touring when the Fader is used to move all the sound to the rear speakers?

prometheus, i can tell you now that type r speakers have great clearance in the back with a 1" bracket, seeing as i've got type r's myself, and i gotta tell you, they sound GREAT

and with the stock speakers, they do have poor sound quality, sitting in my aurion then sitting in my mums, you can really really notice it. stock speakers just sound so hollow IMO

Thanks xCalibur; can you offer any pointers on how to remove the existing speakers at the rear to install the new ones.

The installer at JB Hi fi said he hadn't done an Aurion before ... so doesn't fill me with a heap on confidence.

:mellow:

You have to take out the back seat, the base then the backs, 4 bolts along the bottom (check the manual to be sure) of the backs and just lift them off the hooks that hold the top, to get the parcel shelf cover out remove the 'C' pillar covers first. Just take the bolts out of the factory speakers and remove them, I put in Rockford Fosgate Punch 6 x 9s and didn't need a spacer and they fitted in the holes from the factory ones without modification and didn't need to use the bracket from the standard ones I just had to drill new holes for the new speaker screws. My speakers developed a rumble type distortion and the base was terrible, hoping it is lack of power from the standard head unit so I'm installing an amp to juice it up, you may not get that problem as my front speakers are a different brand (Focal) and they are great just running of the head unit but I am still going to add an amp them as well.

There's no need to remove the seat. Just remove the trim each side ( this wont disrurb the airbag), then the deck just lifts up. It might take a firm lift, but it is only held by clips. Removing the headrests makes it easier to get the deck out.

Edited by Rickxxxx

There's no need to remove the seat. Just remove the trim each side ( this wont disrurb the airbag), then the deck just lifts up. It might take a firm lift, but it is only held by clips. Removing the headrests makes it easier to get the deck out.

i've actually thought about trying this, hopefully works well, as it would save SO much time removing the seats

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got the Alpine SPR-69 6"x9" inch speakers installed by the guy at Essendon DFO JB Hifi (friendly chap, so a thumbs up for him).

It has made some difference to the sound quality. Although, if I put the fader all the way to the rear I am still suprised at the lack of sound volume coming through compared to using the fader all the way to the front (even allowing for the four speakers at the front)

Maybe that's just the way the head unit is set up.

A pic of which head unit I am talking about.

http://carandsuv.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Toyota-Aurion-Sportivo-int-det-340x204.jpg

Ohhh and the original stock speakers that were removed look laughable compared to the Alpines.

They are crappy, light carboardy things. The magnets are 1 inch in diameter by half an inch in depth.

I am suprised thet produced the sound that they did.

Also, I had a look at the car with the rear seat out and the sound insulation that is currently on the metal.

Being that this area is fairly easy to access without ripping out carpets etc, I was wondering how much benefit could be gained by adding extra sound insulation vs cost.

Your thoughts?

Edited by prometheus