Engine shutoff while driving, now won't start

ST184SX

I replaced the valve cover gasket a couple of days ago, so i'm not sure if it's related.

Basically, I was driving when suddenly, the rev counter dropped to zero and the engine shut itself off. Thankfully, the car was moving at the time, so I was able to pull over to the side of the road without having to push.

After a few minutes of waiting, I tried to start the car and the starter cranked, but the engine itself wouldn't start. The low oil pressure light also came on when I tried to start it. I think it also came on when the engine stopped, but I'm not sure since I was more preoccupied with getting the car off the road.

What do you think would be the problem. Since the light's on, I'm thinking it might be the fuel pump, but I'm no expert.

When I tried starting it, all I could hear was the starter. The engine didn't turn over.

If it isn't the fuel pump, then it sounds like it's going to be the timing belt :(

Engine isn't turning over at all. I didn't hear any noise when the engine shut off and I'm pretty confident about that since the stereo was off and I had the windows down.

You say the engine doesn't turn over but you say you can hear the starter motor. Can you get someone to stand at the engine to see if the belts are moving when you turn the key and hear the starter noise?

Just to be sure are you positive it actually has petrol in it as well?

Petrol shouldn't be a problem. I've done about 400km since I last filled up and I usually get about 9L/100km, so unless the car's become a gluttonous pig, there should be plenty left.

Hopefully, I can get someone to look at it tonight to see if the belts move. Thankfully, it broke down within walking distance.

On the plus side, the belt is moving when I try starting the engine.

On the downside, I did a really careless job with the valve cover and I put it back on without checking the hoses at the back, so one of them is caught underneath. *facepalm*

To be specific, this is what I did to the car

2rmm8tx.jpg

That cable was caught under the back of the valve cover and is now crushed. I believe it has something to do with the EFI system. Would damaging it cause the engine to stop running?

Had the RACQ look at the car yesterday. They said the AM2 fuse had blown. They ended up taking off the cooling fan fuse and putting it where the AM2 fuse was, which got the car running, but made the engine nice and toasty ;)

I have an auto electrician looking at the car now. Unfortunately, he has no idea what caused the fuse to blow. He's done everything he can, short of tearing up the entire car, yet he still can't figure out what's wrong.

Could the fuse have worn out or something like that? It seems kinda unlikely, but it's a 23 year old car.

Unlikely, but not impossible. I would put my money on it having something to do with you crushing that cable, but it really is hard to say for sure without looking at the car.

If the auto electrician's done a thorough job checking the car, he "should" have noticed that that cable is damaged. I'll ring tomorrow and check.

If he has no reason to know, then he may not have noticed.

I picked up the car this morning. I mentioned the cable to him, so he tested it and he said it was fine. He said it wasn't connected to the AM2 fuse and that it would have blown the 15A EFI fuse if it was the problem.

I've got a couple of spare fuses now, just in case the AM2 blows again. I'm hoping it won't.