K&N filter for sportivo

SlayerT

But you aren't posting up the actual lab results, so both of you don't have a foot to stand on as you both are posting things like 'I've seen this' and 'real world facts' but there isn't any tangible results for us to see.

I'm as narrowminded as the next person but your argument regarding the K&N filters is nonetheless interesting and I would be interested in seeing the results.

But you aren't posting up the actual lab results, so both of you don't have a foot to stand on as you both are posting things like 'I've seen this' and 'real world facts' but there isn't any tangible results for us to see.

I'm as narrowminded as the next person but your argument regarding the K&N filters is nonetheless interesting and I would be interested in seeing the results.

You have some strange ideas. I've explained in simple terms the results of the oil analysis, including the labs interpretation of the silicon level, and sorry but I don’t see how me posting the results (not that I even know how), which have quite a bit of personal information on them, makes any difference. I’ve actually gone and got the tests done, if you want to get it done then go for it, I’ve explained how. As it happens I’m an active member on Bob is The Oil guy and have never actually posted results there either. This is a forum, and I’m simply posting my experiences, if you want me to provide evidentiary support for every post then I think you might have the wrong department :whistling:

Anyways, the UOA isn’t really my point. My point is that there is no evidence that I’m aware of replacement panel filters having a tangible impact on vehicle performance, so why take any risk (no matter how small) if there is nothing to be gained? Certainly my experience in my own vehicles (disclaimer: I have not put one into my Aurion at any stage) is that they make no difference either on the dyno or the road/track. Mighty Car Mods tried a variety of different filters an filtration set-ups on the dyno and their experience is what I expected, no tangible difference.

Who gives a sh*t. The aurions a cheap family car and you guys are going on about performance gains and getting oil analysis and blah blah blah. Lower it, get some nice wheels.

Gee whiz there is some jerks on this forum. Obviously we care, if you don't then you don't have to read it...

Who gives a sh*t. The aurions a cheap family car and you guys are going on about performance gains and getting oil analysis and blah blah blah. Lower it, get some nice wheels.

Now why would you lower it, and put nice wheels on a cheap family car?

Who gives a sh*t.

.....well

My sled is booked in on Tuesday for a dyno run. So then we can all atleast settle on any performance gains that may/may not be had by running this type of setup (Short Ram+Pod)

Sheesh....I might even experiment with some non-oiled pods after this just to add a few more variables into the mix :P

Always wanted to try out the HKS mushrooms...

.....well

My sled is booked in on Tuesday for a dyno run. So then we can all atleast settle on any performance gains that may/may not be had by running this type of setup (Short Ram+Pod)

Sheesh....I might even experiment with some non-oiled pods after this just to add a few more variables into the mix :P

Always wanted to try out the HKS mushrooms...

Will be interesting. Are you taking the stock air box for comparison runs?

I've actually already had a dyno run on completely stock conditions with the standard airbox, that was a few thousand ks ago. Had enough time for the ECU to learn the new intake conditions with the typhoon so as to get the best possible result for comparison.

Stock result was 153kw, running on Shell V-power

I've actually already had a dyno run on completely stock conditions with the standard airbox, that was a few thousand ks ago. Had enough time for the ECU to learn the new intake conditions with the typhoon so as to get the best possible result for comparison.

Stock result was 153kw, running on Shell V-power

The problem with this approach is it adds variables to the mix, none the least of which is ambient air temperature.

I'm not trying to poo poo what you are doing, and it will still be interesting, but wont really give us anything conclusive.

Out of interest is it the same dyno? Check if it's been calibrated in between runs...

Yeah it is the same dyno. Unfortunately time has not been on my side since getting the intake. Originally the plan was to go in after the intake had been run on the car for around 1000k's, however nothing ever goes to plan. I will certainly ask as to whether it has been calibrated since. As for ambient air temps it will be about the same as the first run for this week (if the forecast is accurate) of about 20C

Tried to get as little variance as possible, will see what happens.

Guys k& n filters are good if used in the normal slot where the normal filter goes if u get the cone shaped one its just sound and no go to much hot air goes in it and u actually loose power and u burn more fuel for a slight sound change when given it.

I've actually found the fuel consumption on mine has if anything improved since going with the typhoon (which has a heatshield as part of the kit designed to eliminate the heatsoak which otherwise would be prevelant)

Before I was getting a range of 550-570km from a fresh tank, and now Im getting +600, and rising every time I fill up. Driving style has not changed either, if anything more heavy footed driving DUE to the induction noise.

Not saying this will be the same for everyone, but just putting it out there

my fuel consumption improved with the typhoon intake aswell, and would'nt the issue of hot air only be when your not moving as there's plenty of airflow when you are moving, the enginebay isn't sealed.

The results are in...

2v10qxd.jpg

A gain of a whopping 1.1kw! It isn't much, but it IS a gain. Also there is a much fatter, even torque curve which is definitely noticeable in general driving.

So there you have it.

A gain of a whopping 1.1kw! It isn't much, but it IS a gain.

That's not a gain. Max power figures on back-to-back dyno runs can vary by a couple of kw anyway, even with no changes to the car.

Also, that max-power indicator thingy is in completely the wrong spot, the peak is clearly about 15km/h to the right

• Like 1

A gain of a whopping 1.1kw! It isn't much, but it IS a gain.

That's not a gain. Max power figures on back-to-back dyno runs can vary by a couple of kw anyway, even with no changes to the car.

Also, that max-power indicator thingy is in completely the wrong spot, the peak is clearly about 15km/h to the right

This. Unfortunately you need to do at least 2 and preferably more condition runs and average out. Some dyno's are out to +/- 2 kw. My F6 once ran 251.1 followed by 252.6 on consecutive runs with nothing changed in-between. I’m interested in this ‘much flatter even torque curve’ though, I’ve never heard of a pod filter doing that before…

Edited by rollaurion

The graph at the bottom of that sheet is the torque sorry, should have clarified. It's not a big gain but it is slightly higher than standard. Only in the mid range though.

Doing back to back runs on this, one intake after the other unfortunately was not in my power to do due to time constraints. I would think also, that unless there was atleast a 1000k gap between the two for the ECU to learn the changed intake conditions, that the results could then also vary again. Without having an aftermarket computer to finely tune air/fuel ratios manually to suit the intake and also the type of fuel, there's never going to be a massive increase anyway due to the smarts of the factory computer figuring everything out, and yes every run is probably going to be different. That's part of everyday physics.

I put these results up because everyone was arguing about the advantages/disadvantages of various intake setups, sure maybe less variables could have been achieved but this is the best I could do. Anyone else is more than welcome to give it a go themselves if they have access to the equipment!

At the end of the day these are just figures, real world performance is guaged on how the car feels from day to day and how much of a smile it puts on your face

And yeah Luke, loved the rolling shots!

Edited by VIPZR6

Not a worthwhile gain for the dollars spent.

Yep. At the end of the day it IS a family car. Doesnt matter what you do to it its always going to be just a fancy camry.

When I eventually sell the car I will be putting the intake up for sale (along with other bits and pieces.)

Yep. At the end of the day it IS a family car. Doesnt matter what you do to it its always going to be just a fancy camry.

Exactly, as much as we spend on them, they are just that.

I only bought it for the sound anyway so I'm happy.

Therein lyes the single most reason we add these. Same with me, Sh!t even if I hadda lost a few kw's I still woulda been happy just for the sound.

I'm more than happy owning a camry that's at least fancier.... and faster :)

• Like 2