Low Beam HID Lights - Failing

Hey everyone,

Okay so this is now a long story so I'll try and make it short,

About 6 months ago I bought my car (2007 Toyota Aurion, Presara), everything on it was fine, the lights were great until about 3 months ago when the right side low beam (HID) started failing (Note: These D4S low beam bulbs are apparently the original ones that came with the car, so genuine toyota bulbs), at first I thought it was blown, but I could turn the light switch off and back on again and the right side low beam would work again for about 4 minutes than fail again,

So I thought perhaps the bulb just needs replacing, about 2 weeks after that the left one started doing the same thing? So I decided to get new bulbs, however, I went too toyota and they told me it would cost $550 per bulb, I just couldn't afford it at that time, nor would I want to pay so much for a light bulb anyway, so I bought a pair of Phillips D4S 8000K (2000K higher intensity than the genuine bulbs) I installed them myself as it is a relatively easy task,

This is what confuses me, with the new bulbs installed the right low beam was still failing! But the left one was working perfectly!

I took it to toyota, told them all of this and said to me they won't do anything till I replace them with genuine toyota bulbs...

So I took my car to an auto electrician, he says the problem is that the right ballast needs replacing, but I am confused as to why the left one had the problem and now is working? He tells me that even if I replace it, it may just fail again in 3 months time?

Anyway does anyone have advise on this, what to do etc? Hopefully Im not the only one who has had this problem?

Cheers,

I believe you may have bought a faulty globe.

Also you may have bought a non-genuine set of Philips bulbs.

The factory HID globes are 4300K (not 6000K) they are made by Toshiba-Harison.

You may want to buy another set of bulbs and ensure that the ballast is really the problem.

Take a look at these threads:

Headlight Globes

Xenon Low Beams: Presara