Bogging down when cold

Hi Guys!

Just wondering if it is a normal side effect of CAI installation that the engine has bad pickup for about a minute after start (sportivo.) It bogs down when applying power to move off.

When warms up a little runs like a demon. Is it caused by removal of the brown sensor/solenoid that is not reistalled after oem airbox removal?

Regards

Chris

i found that the throttle behaved a bit strange when the CAI was still hissing from the cold-idle. doesn't respond well to light throttle inputs.

is that what u meant?

Yeah... it just doesn't want to accelerate away no matter what the throttle position. Need to get foot of accelerator and then tickle it gently to get the revs up before trying to release clutch again. Then it goes ok. No probs with starting or idle though.

Chris

hey Chris i know that silva and myself have the same problems with the CAI and it would seem that its more of an issue up here in QLD as its generally bit hotter, i only have the problem when the weather starts to warm up, during the colder months it does not seem to be as much of an issue

Corey

Thanks for that guys!

I was worried that I did something wrong with cai install.

Corey... u r right. It is more of a problem in warm weather.

Regards

Chris

hey Chris i know that silva and myself have the same problems with the CAI and it would seem that its more of an issue up here in QLD as its generally bit hotter, i only have the problem when the weather starts to warm up, during the colder months it does not seem to be as much of an issue

Corey

Corey

Second that motion my good friend :D It's a little annoying as my wife likes to reverse out of the garage and drive off straight away. <_< But once the temp gauge moves off the bottom it's all good! :D

Corey

Second that motion my good friend :D It's a little annoying as my wife likes to reverse out of the garage and drive off straight away. <_< But once the temp gauge moves off the bottom it's all good! :D

Haha!

My wife tried to drive the car out of the driveway and start up the hill while I was out on he weekend... She embarassed herself majorly infront of the neighbours!

She didn't admit it to me... the neighbour told me 1st!

Chris

actually i think most cars to my knowledge

act funny when motor is dead cold

i know my 05 stivo the very FIRST take off revs are a little hesitant but once its going and im down the road my next take off when i turn next is fine

i also find that letting the car idle for 5 min while putting my work bag in the boot and getting my work boots on help

as in the first 5 min its almost half way to besrt running temperature so that would make a big differecne

besides its better to let the motors warm up in idle before driving anyways give time for the oil to warm and lubricate properly too

actually i think most cars to my knowledge

act funny when motor is dead cold

i know my 05 stivo the very FIRST take off revs are a little hesitant but once its going and im down the road my next take off when i turn next is fine

i also find that letting the car idle for 5 min while putting my work bag in the boot and getting my work boots on help

as in the first 5 min its almost half way to besrt running temperature so that would make a big differecne

besides its better to let the motors warm up in idle before driving anyways give time for the oil to warm and lubricate properly too

Actually, there has been some argument that letting your car idle at start up for a while is worst then just driving off slowly where you would allow the engine to warm up quicker and also the transmission.

Because if you just sit there idling, it won't warm up the transmission, just engine components.

Id like to idle for about 30 secs then drive off slowly, shifting at lower rpms than usual, then once temps are good, drive normally.

oh yeah for sure man

i dont mean idle for ever

just like maximum 5 min, however long it takes to put my boots on and bag in the car

and i dont mean hit it when the motor is warm i still change gear at low revs to give the transmission time to warm up too

i understand what your saying

but im sure just a few mintues is probably good or better for it

but i agree with you too driving slowly while motor is cold i dont think woudl be doing any damage either

:D

I also suffer from this issue, however i am yet to discern whether it is a result of heat or cold...the motor just seems to gag and the clutch feels like crap when taking off.

The problem only seems to get highlighted when the car is cold and full of people.

Also i never rev or apply excessive throttle to my car until it hits max temp (just below half).

Can't tell if it is the CAI that has caused it...or the exhaust, or a combo of both, however it doesnt bother me too much, as the catalyst for the problem doesnt occur too often thankfully, my rolla isnt a bus.

Hi Guys!

Just wondering if it is a normal side effect of CAI installation that the engine has bad pickup for about a minute after start (sportivo.) It bogs down when applying power to move off.

When warms up a little runs like a demon. Is it caused by removal of the brown sensor/solenoid that is not reistalled after oem airbox removal?

Regards

Chris

shouldnt you be letting the car warm up before driving it?????

driving it in the first minute of engine starting???????

it is a bit of a 50-50 topic

many people beleive that idling is bad for the car

many people beleive that driving slowly for first 5 min withot atleast a min of warm up is bad for the car

personally i try to give the car atleast a minute of idle then still drive slowly and keep revs low for the first 5 min too

that way enigine is warm

drivetrain is warm

and everything is set to go and do what its meant to be doing hehe :P

anyways as for the revs problem on first start up when taking off

i wish i never read this post now cus im starting to actully notice it a fair bit now

actually im a little paranoid about my clutch anyways but its only done 10,000km could it already be lose feels like it engages way to far out(as in when i bring the foot off the clutch it only grabs like just before the end of releasing the pedal, always thought it should happen a bit further down)