Replacement key for Yaris

dexx

Its my understanding that many Toyotas use a common key type. My dealer wants a fortune to cut and program a new key for my 2007 Yaris. Its a standard brass key with a central locking remote head (fob). There are several internet sites that sell blank keys and fobs for a reasonable price. I'm wondering if programming a fob to suit your car is easy to do or whether it needs special equipment. Programming a non-remote key is simple from what ive read. But i dont know if thats the case for a remote fob.

First you need a master key, not the grey valet key of a key that has been coded into the car as a valet. If you have an existing remote key this is a master.

The key will obviously need to be cut to work your locks, don't be tight and go the cheap way of getting your worn key copied on to your new one, they the new key cut to code, this will cost you around $30.

The transponder and remote can be coded in without diagnostic equipment, it requires a sequence of opening and closing the drivers door and turning the key OFF and ON. The remote and transponder are separate and need to be coded separately.

The genuine Toyota ones are a lot better quality than the aftermarket, Toyota is about $250 so with cutting and coding will be under $300. I haven't used the aftermarket remotes for these yet, they are around $60 and would code in the same so if they do work you will get away with it for under $150.

I have been thinking about getting some in to try them out.

The transponder and remote can be coded in without diagnostic equipment, it requires a sequence of opening and closing the drivers door and turning the key OFF and ON.

Ive read online the sequence needed to code the transpoder. However i'm yet to find the sequence for the remote.

The Yaris should be using a different procedure than that, instead of the peddles it's with opening and closing the drivers door. I have that procedure and for the remote too.

Firstly though, do you have a master key to code in the new transponder and remote?