Exhaust type question

Ok, so I see cars going around with massive mufflers and etc. making a load of noise.

I'm not looking to make my rolla perform well... so keep that in mind.

I want to get a large exhaust tip or something that looks good and makes the car sound a little louder. What do I need to buy? A muffler? An exhaust tip? I really have no idea.

What are the benifits of having a larger exhaust ending...?

Are there any particular models that look and sound good? Bare in mind I have a corolla Ascent.

Im looking to slap the sportivo skirts on the Ascent soon and possibly lower it, but after the skirts go on im looking at having the exhaust tip be different.

A little help people?

skitzo what you have seen are cars with no end mufflers. these cars had their mufflers replaced with canons. these cars may or may not have middle mufflers.

mufflers are quiet whereas canons are loud because they are straight through. but some canons are not so loud because they have resonators in them.

if you just want a large tip cut off your original tip and weld on a new large tip. if you also want a tone then you need a canon. canons often exceed epa loudness.

to reduce loudness but keep the tone you need a canon with resonator or add a middle muffler.

all canons are stainless steel and you might want to inspect the weld lines before purchasing. some brands are messy (manually welded) while others are neat (computer).

a canon like xforce, magnaflow, genie is $280 fitted. dual tips could be more.

you need to hear for yourself an exhaust to know if you like it or not. some exhausts are loud all the time (driving easy and steady) whereas others are only loud when you accelerate hard.

you should make it to the royal childrens hospital car cruise on good friday. with over 1,000 cars most modified street cars you will see for yourself many different exhausts.

Thanks so much for the info. I am still learning about different things and I cant thank you enough for answering all my amature questions. :D

I would make it... but im in Western Australia... so driving all that way may be a bit of a waste :lol:

I would like a loud sound when I accelerate mainly.

Is it best to replace the whole exhaust with one main brand / system?

Thanks again to you guys for putting up with my questions... and the wise and wonderfull Orrock for always ansering everyones questions... they dont pay you to post here do they? :lol:

skitzo thanks for your positive words.

only a few manufacturers have a whole exhaust system for 1.8L corolla and i think these are hard to come by in australia. therefore you would most likely purchase different brands. the canon would be a brand name part (xforce, magnaflow or generic no name) whereas the piping is usually dealer fabricated from mild steel or stainless steel. piping can be mandrel bent or press bent.

you only change your original piping if you want bigger diameter piping from the catalytic converter to the canon. you might also want to change your catalytic converter to a high flow converter.

the more parts you change the more $$$ you need.

for just tone you should replace your muffler with a canon which has resonator. without resonator it will be very loud like a rocket.

cheap canons typically drone all the time whereas remus will sound loud when you accelerate hard but quiet when you are going steady.

104.jpg

If you are not looking at performance, i guess any muffler that looks cool will do. But i would recommend you go for double bypass mufflers instead of straight through mufflers or cannons because they are quieter and they give you a bit of performance on NA engines. You need a certain amount of backpressure to keep the low rev response, especially with small capacity NA engines. Straight through big diameter mufflers are better suited for Turbo/Supercharged cars or large capacity engines with great amount of torque. Hope that helps :lol:

remus make a direct bolt-on to sportivos but they are quite expensive. then again, they make really good muffler which are also not very loud until u accelerate very hard

Do they? Which exhaust system is this? And how much is it? Let me know the model or if you know of a website that I can go to. Love them Remus exhaust.

Skitzo, Toyota themselves do a sports muffler for the IZZ-Fe Corolla (yours)..

Price is about $280.00, the sound is a fair bit deeper than standard, and it releases an extra 3kw of power, it also has a bigger downturned Chrome tailpipe...

SPORTIVO" option PART # PZQ1912021 EXHAUST All HATCHBACK 0110- SPORTS EXHAUST MUFFLER

Also fitment shouldn't produce any warranty issues for you...

I have a Remus fitted to my IZZ-FE hatch, a bit pricey at $850 for the rear muffler but looks great with two 75x92mm square crome tips, does not drone, and fits to all existing bolts and mounting points. Not too loud but has a nice deep note unlike straight through type mufflers than can sound very high pitched. Also completely emissions compliant. Toyota do offer an off the shelf unit which also sounds ok and would be cheaper

I have a Remus fitted to my IZZ-FE hatch, a bit pricey at $850 for the rear muffler but looks great with two 75x92mm square crome tips, does not drone, and fits to all existing bolts and mounting points. Not too loud but has a nice deep note unlike straight through type mufflers than can sound very high pitched. Also completely emissions compliant. Toyota do offer an off the shelf unit which also sounds ok and would be cheaper

Do you have a photo of it? I'm thinking of getting the Remus for my Stivo.

I have a Remus fitted to my IZZ-FE hatch, a bit pricey at $850 for the rear muffler but looks great with two 75x92mm square crome tips, does not drone, and fits to all existing bolts and mounting points.  Not too loud but has a nice deep note unlike straight through type mufflers than can sound very high pitched.  Also completely emissions compliant.  Toyota do offer an off the shelf unit which also sounds ok and would be cheaper

izz-fe welcome!

on friday the last meet was like an easternats pre-meet. i might get in trouble for saying this (other cars) there was an astra turbo which made the most smoke from a fwd! too bad there were no sportivos around to match.

remus is expensive but as you said it fits too all existing bolts and points. i think many sportivo members here would like to hear your muffler in person.

Again Orrock you are being Pathetic in your last comment "i might get in trouble for saying this (other cars)" Other cars are allowed to be discussed in comparing Toyotas in general. But in saying this it is not a forum to talk about bagging Toyotas or purchasing other cars. If you continue to make smart alec responces I will have you banned.

Peekay soothe it man, chill out, Orrock was being mindful of the recent warning and respectful to the board by saying that...he's always there to help others here, me included.

Lets not be disrespectful to each other, or I and many others'll just not come here anymore, an thats what this board is NOT about....

Cheers mate,

Dakkie....

i am sorry for the trouble i have caused.

i was NOT trying to be smart alec. you have misread me and i know it is easy to misread people on the internet.

i do not think you are treating me well as a moderator. you threat me with ban from this forum after just one mistake.

please be lenient next time you pick up smart alec from me. i think you would be misreading me because i am not smart alec.

i believe moderators should be educating us and promoting a positive forum. they should be friendly and not heavy handed.

i would like to know who makes the decision on banning a member. i tried to find information on banning but i could not find any.

is it up to one moderator or all moderators? what about the members who make up the forum? members are peers and are every day building the forum. it would make sense that members play a part in the decision.

i know you are worried the forum will end because of bad members but please take it easy.

i am trying to build the forum. i have introduced 3 corolla owners to the forum i met on the street. if i am not wanted i will leave.

i understand $850 is for the part and fitting.

if you purchase the part elsewhere then i do not think the authorised remus dealer would fit for free.

i know there are people here who are hands on like diy to fit the part themselves. i just think it is a small saving by purchasing from europe and landing it in australia. please do not forget about duty and tax on top of shipping.

what if there is a problem with the part. will remus in australia give you service or would you need to go back to europe?

$850 is from Motoline in Fertree Gully (Only importer in VIC) and they can put you onto an authorised fitter in your area (I did mine at Carshine in North Melbourne).

I haven't got a photo handy but watch this space and I'll get a hold of a digital camera off a friend.

You can also check www.remus.com they have limited picks of what the exhausts look like on cars but only have shots from the back not up close. Options depend on which 1.8 you have. (Also eurpean 1.6 fits Aus 1.8)