Easy DIY instrument cluster colour change

Defyant

Thought i'd post this up. This mod was done to an 08 Aurion but may work for other model cars as well.

It's a cheap simlpe non invasive reversable way to customise your dash colours. With out the need for soldering LED's

While LED soldering is still a very low skill level of modding not a lot of ppl are comfortable taking a iron to their beloved dashes.

This method/guide makes for a much easier way with a low cost of materials for almost as pro look as LED replacement.

I had originally wanted to change the LED's in my dash. (like i had done to my iload) But upon opening it up i seen that i could not get the dash to be multicoloured without extreme bleed.

It's a bit more crafty skills than electronic or LED modding.

As you can see here our AU dash is a bore.... cold and non enguaging.

2007_Toyota_Aurion_Prodigy_08.jpg

The new look dash. Not for everyone i know.

IMG_2354.jpg

I used simple A4 coloured plastic folders from the local Bargain shop. cost was around 2bux all up.

I picked a bunch of different colours to cover as many combo's as i could.

1.jpg

The next thing i did to help out was to build a temp mini back lit light desk. This gives a better idea of the end result.

IMG_2328.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

Dash out and strip down.

2.jpg

3.jpg

You can see a diffusers plate, this simply catches the light and spreads it evenly though this section.

4.jpg

Time to experiment. As you can see simply slipping a different colour behind the dash plate creates a brand new colour.

Your pretty much only limited buy your imagination.

7.jpg

8.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

To create a multi coloured dash just cut and butt join different coloured plastic.

The best (reversable way) to hold the plastic inplace is with small tabs of normal clear selotape.

You only need to keep the plastic inserts held in place untill the dash is clamped back together.
Then the new inserts will stay inplace.

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

Using the same method is multi coloured the Fuel and temp Guages as well.

IMG_2331.jpg

Fitted up and back in the car.

IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

21.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Well was half way installing my angel eyes today. When the sky opened up. This looked like a good rain day exercise so.

This is my crack

post-33395-0-51084100-1378993597_thumb.j

I think I'll have another go when there is another excuse to rip the cluster out

Ps be careful on how many layer of plastic. I had to go a bit thick on the blue and the dials stuck a bit. But some precision filing sorted her.

I wish you could somehow change the colour of the blue part of the clusters on these :( I just want a simple white, but it looks like its not possible without starting from scratch

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to post on such an old thread but i saw this and went ahead and did it on my aurion sportivo. Only issue i had is when i put the needles back on and put the cluster back in speedo was wrong temp, fuel and revs wer all out now i dont know what to do to fix this. Can someone please help me asap because the car is for family and cant be driving with all the gauges reading wrong. Is it something that will just calibrate its self back or will it need to be fixed or replace would appreciate the help.

On 12/02/2018 at 2:19 AM, Zr6 supercharged said:

Sorry to post on such an old thread but i saw this and went ahead and did it on my aurion sportivo. Only issue i had is when i put the needles back on and put the cluster back in speedo was wrong temp, fuel and revs wer all out now i dont know what to do to fix this. Can someone please help me asap because the car is for family and cant be driving with all the gauges reading wrong. Is it something that will just calibrate its self back or will it need to be fixed or replace would appreciate the help.

Heya Adam, It's been a long time since i did this mod to my dash.... i remember just putting all the needles back to the "zero" / start positions.... as you have already noticed, they wont reset by themselves.