Buying second hand sportivo

Hi guys long time reader, first time poster.

I have decided that my first car should be a rolla tivo but after reading this thread about how it is common for the gear box to crunch in a tivo it kinda deterred me from getting one.

Q. SHOULD I BE WORRIED???

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/1284-sportivo-issues/

Anyways my budget is around $10k

-first car

-havnt driven manual before but know the theory through youtube.

-im in sydney btw

Q. Any suggestions/links to good cars will be much appreciated

Thanks guys.

Get your license first, so you can turn that "theory" into P plater confidence!

BTW youtube hours don't generally count, you need ACTUAL experience.

If you have a license but have never driven a manual then you have an automatic license, in which case you can't legally drive a manual car anyway, so why consider a manual anything?

oh i guess nsw is different our licences allow us to drive manual unsupervised if u are on p2

That is ridiculous.

Whilst it is different here in Qld, a brief search seems to show you are right beastmode - the auto restriction only applies to P1 if that's what you did your driving test in.

Talk about a whole load of rubbish, driving a manual is FAR more involved than an auto especially when starting out. Can you imagine a first time manual driver, on an open license, pulling out into traffic and stalling it? There would be a whole load of dangerous situations that could easily happen, especially if they're taught how to drive one via youtube!

Guess it just proves how seriously ****** NSW driver license system is.

lols dw ill drive with some one at the start on quiet roads
ANyways back to the question, should i be worried about the common problems with a rolla tivo (especially on a second hand car) and it seems like a 2003 model is what i can afford.

Whilst it is different here in Qld, a brief search seems to show you are right beastmode - the auto restriction only applies to P1 if that's what you did your driving test in.

Talk about a whole load of rubbish, driving a manual is FAR more involved than an auto especially when starting out. Can you imagine a first time manual driver, on an open license, pulling out into traffic and stalling it? There would be a whole load of dangerous situations that could easily happen, especially if they're taught how to drive one via youtube!

Guess it just proves how seriously ****** NSW driver license system is.

Oh, wasn't disputing whether beastmode was being right or wrong; I think it is staggering that it is allowed.

As you said yourself, imagine stalling when pulling into oncoming traffic.

RTA = Bunch of Muppets.

Enough said.

I do agree with the other guys though - the confidence you get as a P Plater on the roads is not a good scenario to all of a sudden throw in manual. Might take a bit of getting used to.

In regards to worrying about the problems, its a common sense approach to buying any car. Checking history, condition, km's, service history etc etc. Take it for a spin before handing over the cash and make sure you feel comfortable with it. In regards to the box playing up later on down the track - that all depends how you drive it and how well you look after it. I remember I blew the sh!t out of my first corolla (ae92) gearbox - but then replaced it with a c56 and never had a problem. Nowadays, im much more of a reliable driver and don't intend on just smashing gears everytime I drive.

Ive never owned a sportivo though so maybe someone can chime in on the likelihood of gearbox failure.

• Like 1

The 2zz isn't like driving most manuals, so take online lessons with a grain of salt.

Best to just pay for 1 or 2 lessons in a manual and you'll be able to see how your progressing with the manual. Don't forget the Celica came with the auto if that's just easier for you (plus might be cheaper ;))

• 1 month later...