Transferring transponder in new key casing, does not work?

Temjin

Hello all,

My wife's Yaris only key is broken at the tip (likely a common problem here I presume).

I basically purchased this casing from this ebay seller, http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281117169919, had the key blank cut properly and transferred the transponder (with a new battery) over.

The two buttons on the new key works perfectly. The key also fit in the car and door perfectly.

However, it wouldn't start the car and I realise the security light was still flashing when the new key was inserted in.

I thought this would be an easy job as the entire transponder was just one single unit and it was just a matter of transferring it to a new body with the proper key cut. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem so.

I can't get my head around why it does not work as I assumed the original key case (and the new one) is just a piece of plastic with a metal key. The transponder was the "key" here. But it did not transfer across.

Please advise what I need to do it get this fixed short of "sealing" the broken key with a super glue.

Thanks!

Temjin

P.S: Don't ask me why I didn't get a second key. We trusted a friend that she had more than one key, but it was never found.

There's another piece inside the original casing close to where the keyblade is that turns off the immobiliser. It's only very small and in some key fobs it's glued in there but can be prised out without too much effort and put inside your new casing.
The other electronic parts are only for the keyless entry stuff.

What Steven said, but be very careful because as it is your onlykey and if you damage that chip you are in trouble. When I cut them out I always cut the plastic around it and remove the plastic, don't leaver the chip out as they can break.

Thanks guys. I just realise the chip hole on the empty key case as well. Will have to be very extra careful in removing it. Will take on mr2's idea on cutting the plastic around it and then carefully remove them just enough to fit it in.

In case I do fail, and ruin the whole thing, what would be the consequence? Do I need to replace the ECU and transmitter on the car and reprogram the whole thing? Can only the dealer do it? (just in case :D) Thanks!

If you don't have another master key you will need to get the immobilizer reset, the dealer can not do this they can only replace parts. If you only have the 1 key first I recommend you go get a spare, at leas then if you do damage the chip it's not that big a deal, plus you should have a spare anyway. If you do damage it expect to be out of pocket a couple of hundred plus the inconvenience of not having your car.

And when you get the chip out glue it back into the new key.