!Problem!

DuGong

i just had a problem with the car... when i brake now (slightly harder) there;s noise comming from the front.. i dun noe wat it is... noise like deep rubbing/ scraping..... there is nothing that i can see that has fallen off.... wheels are stilll there.... inspected it... drove again... broke harder.... same noise... i can even feel it on the brake peddal..

are my pads gone?

Edited by DuGong

Hiyas,

Sounds like your brake pads are grinding metal to metal. I would highly recommend you don't use the brakes at all and take it to a mechanical workshop or toyota. Either get it towed or use the handbrake carefully to brake if its a short trip.

Using the brakes will damage the rotors more and may result in them having to be replaced, rather than machined and repaired.

Hiyas,

Depends if you are wanting toyota genuine or aftermarket pads. Genuine pads would be up in the $100 range, whereas aftermarket pads such as ACDelco or Lucas are in the $30 range.

Keep in mind whenever you replace brake pads you should have the disc rotors machined to remove warpage and squelling. Since it sounds like your pads are grinding the disc, it is very highly recommended you have the discs machine (if they don't need replacing).

Hiyas,

This is something that your going to have to check yourself to be sure its the pads. If you can pull the wheels off and take a good look at the discs. Else, look at the inside of the discs from underneath the vehicle and through your rims from the outisde if possible. You are looking for a dull plain silver shinless area on the disc.

Pressing lightly on the brakes may not be a problem cause you will most likely find that there is only 1 pad out of the 4 pads that are grinding.

However, like i said its going to be a matter of having a look.

Hey dude,

it sounds like its the scrappers that come on the brakes .... i.e. meaning u dont have much brake pads left ..... i believe its a thin layer that does this noise to let u know u dont have much left on ur pads .... mine started to do this after having the car for 50K km's.

I have since replaced the rotors and pads with DBA 4000 series slotted rotors and ferodo ds2500 pads .... EXCELLENT stopping power :D :D :D :D :D :D especially with the extra power ;) ;) ;) ;)

I wouldnt recommend getting the ferodo's on ur current rotor setup because chances are the rating of the ferodo's will be higher than the stock rotors which i believe can cause u to f%$@ ur rotors if this happens .... can someone confirm if this is true as this is what ive heard ....

cheers

Bill

it sounds like its the scrappers that come on the brakes .... i.e. meaning u dont have much brake pads left

This could also be a possibility, most pad indicators just make the brakes squell rather than a grind noise. It depends what the actual scrapping noise is like - whether it is a harsh grinding noise or moreso a rubbing noise. You said you could feel it in the brake pedal it sounds more like the pads could be grinding.

Just another question, does the car have abs?

I wouldnt recommend getting the ferodo's on ur current rotor setup because chances are the rating of the ferodo's will be higher than the stock rotors which i believe can cause u to f%$@ ur rotors if this happens .... can someone confirm if this is true as this is what ive heard ....

Yeh thats correct. The pads themselves will be stronger than the stock rotors and wear the rotors more than the pads. Just like the holden astra, the pads holden puts in them are so hard it makes the discs wear faster than the pads.

Hey dude,

I have since replaced the rotors and pads with DBA 4000 series slotted rotors and ferodo ds2500 pads .... EXCELLENT stopping power :D :D :D :D :D :D especially with the extra power ;) ;) ;) ;)

cheers

Bill

Yo Xoom

How did you get the DBA rotors? When I inquired, they said that it is not available for Toyota Corolla Sportivo; Front or Back? How did you get 'em and if you don' mind, any part numbers please?

Cheers

Omn1potent.

Hey mate,

its simple .... get the celica ones and then get a brakes place to re-drill them to suit the 4 stud pattern on our car rather than the celica 5 studs .... I cant take all the credit for this one .... thanks Dave aka screamnrolla ....

Its comes in handy that we share so many parts with the celica ;) ;) ;) ;) and in some cases little mods r needed to get things to fit like in this case.

I believe the part number is DBA 4759 i think but check with the DBA parts list.

cheers

Bill

i've only done 37k kms

how much did the DBA and ferodo set up cost?

will this fit the 1zze model? im only planning to replace the front

ZZT231 1.8L DOHC 11/99-06/00 Front model no. 4562 Vented

1.8 WTI 190 BHP 2000 - on Rear model no. 4563 Solid

Edited by DuGong

i would just like to state that feathering the hand brake all the way to the mechanics rather than just taking it easy and braking lightly will probably end up causing more ussues in the long run as hand brakes arent really meant for stop go driving constant on and off

cheers

but to me it just sounds like the little warning lip cus if it has gotten so far down that there is absolutly no pad left

you should have strted hearing the squeels a few weeks ago now and it sounds like its only been recently from what you have said

also i have seen xoom's break setup they look awesome

havent had the pleasure to feel the FULL braking power but hey thats what ill be saving for when it get time to start looking for new pads and discs

yeah but he isnt talking about slamming on the brakes to the point where he loses traction and ABS kicks in he just means braking with slight bit of force to make it stop quicker hehe

as for ABS i suggest everyone finds a safe place to try it out cus i know a few people whos ABS hasnet worked when they tried it

they all on 05 models so ill be testing mine soon as well

(just dont wanna put bald spot on my tyres, incase they dont work and lock up on the 1 spot hehe)

but needs to be tested so you know to get it fixed or not

• 2 weeks later...

If you do not wish to upgrade the rotors just yet, the Bendix Ultimate are recommended by Bendix for the Celica rotors (which are the same material as the sportivo ones) so there is no mismatch issues with these. Will need to be double checked for standard corolla discs but I think that are OK too according to Bendix, but best to check.