Oil Filter opinions please...

Thanks to Rolla02, ( and the right tool..) I've done my first oil and filter, out of warranty, and the $130 "capped price service scheme..

The filter removed was Black, and the canister needed gunk cleaning out of it.. the car had covered 6000kms since being serviced by a Toyota dealer..

Just need you opinions here.. do you think this this normal to be so black and dirty if the oil filter had been "changed" by the dealer only 6000kms ago.. ???

Photo compares dirty filter on the left, with a new one on the right...

post-34492-0-88200600-1389162695_thumb.j

Damn, I have heard of a few people saying that some dealers don't even change things like filters. Where did you go as there are a few no go Toyota dealers that have been previously mentioned.

• Like 1

I'm tempted to mention the Dealer, but I'll wait 'til I've changed the filter again in 6 months.. and will compare it with the filthy one I removed...(and post photos..) Let's just say for now Melbourne Metro, outer eastern suburbs....

just name and shame them

most dealerships have w*nkers working there

like in the dealership at toyota deer park. told them not to wash car - washes anyway - now with scratches due to n00bs

• Like 1

I'd rather see someone else check their oil filter after 6000km with their Corolla at the same mileage before naming and shaming.

Edited by Tard

Some company's are in the common practice of changing oils but only doing the filter every couple of services. I always mark my filters. Air oil and fuel.

Then you can catch them out, confront them, get your money back then go elsewhere..

It happens more then people realize :nono:

If I see a black oil filter then I know it's doing it's job.

Clean filters and clean oil 6000km after they were last changed is either a sign of a miracle, an engine that has just left the showroom floor, or something isn't working properly.

Yes.. good points all , especially Tard, and Hiro.. thanks both, but I'll stick to my plan and compare filters on it's next 6 month change. And if things look suss then, I'll be happy to post photo's and Name and Shame the Dealership..

Btw.. I served my apprenticeship with Renault, then worked in a Ford dealership for four years, both in Uk, so I've got a bit of an idea how things work, at dealership level...