ZRE182 Engine ticking/tapping

Hi All,

Just got a new Levin ZR CVT, and there seems to be an audible ticking noise at low rev idle. Once the car is warm and idling at about 700rpm you can hear it quite easily, and also when you accelerate the noise speeds up with your revs.

Anyone had any issues like that? Im not mechanic but when you take the engine cover off there is a lot of noise coming from the injector area. I know the injectors making clicking noise but this seems excessive.....

Hey

Report it to your dealer so you have it on record and if they don't do anything take it to another toyota service centre it won't void your warranty.

I had mine for a few weeks now and I can't hear anything unusual. (Ascent Sport)

Edited by RED-ZRE182

Hmm yeah. Its just weird, as i said im no idiot when it comes to cars and it just seems like it should be making that noise. I filled it with BP ultimate today and the fuel econ has gotten much worse, its at 9.5L at the moment, now i do some city driving so i know its gonna be higher than stated figures, but its gone up heaps since i got it. To me the oil just seems very light when you pull thge dipstick out, and when i took the oil cap off the engine it hardly looked like it was dry. But hey, im no expert.

Its odd that your getting 9.5L for fuel econ. First week I ran e10 and was getting 9 when driving to and from work in heavy/med stop start traffic. After I switched fuel too United 100 the week after It dropped to 8.1 with same conditions, BP Ultimate and 7-11 98 was also the same. I'm constantly on 8.1 now, I have reached 7 which is my lowest so far but that is highway driving with minimal traffic.

I have noticed that when running e10 my car tends to vibrate more, which has happened to 2 of my coworkers as well with the same model corolla.

Sorry I can't be of much help

Edited by Red-Zre182

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my manual Ascent Sport for a year now and after about 10,000kms the fuel economy started to improve for me. On 95 I get roughly 7 with a mix of city and highway driving. Can't say that mine makes a ticking noise at idle, but it sure idles high when it first starts, about 2000rpm. Taken it to Toyota and they apparently say it's normal.

Haha. Its all over the shop, reaches 10.5 when in traffic. The noise is still there, i wonder if the rest of the engine is just so quiet i can here something thats normal drowned out!! It appears at qiute specific time as i said above. I tried the old trick of unplugging battery to "reset" the ECU, always skeptical on it. Car performed amazingly and the noise went away, then after the weekend was over and i started my day to day bumper to bumper driving it all went to hell :p

How many kms have you done so far?

My problem is that the plastics in the dash and centre console rattle so much that as I'm driving along I can't really hear the engine!

If it keeps going, just take it back to your dealer, there's no harm in asking them :)