20,000K Service

Hi Guys,

I got a bit confused today when I called a couple of Toyota dealers to ask about the cost of the 20,000kms service :blink:

The first dealer said it will cost $120.00 for the 20K service if my car was registered for something called "Toyota Service Advantage Program" which I have no idea about having bought the car 2nd hand, he said if my car is not registered with that program, the cost of the service will be $220.00

I told him that car is a 2007 model and has done 19,500kms only, so it's still under the new car warranty, but he said, it's different and it needs to be registered on the advantage program to be able to get the reduced service cost.

Thinking he was just telling me fibs, I called another dealer, same answer and same service cost, however he asked for the VIN so he can check that advantage service program registration and my car was on it. He did mumble something about doing a 2 year service instead of the 20,000kms service, as the car is 2 years old. Not sure what was that about and are they punishing owners for not driving cars enough or trying to short-change those who haven't got enough kms on the clock??

The 2 year service is the 40,000kms service, so he basically is suggesting to skip the 20K and 30K service intervals and go straight to the 40K service to still be within warranty due to age of the car.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Edited by jalalski

Hi Guys,

I got a bit confused today when I called a couple of Toyota dealers to ask about the cost of the 20,000kms service :blink:

The first dealer said it will cost $120.00 for the 20K service if my car was registered for something called "Toyota Service Advantage Program" which I have no idea about having bought the car 2nd hand, he said if my car is not registered with that program, the cost of the service will be $220.00

I told him that car is a 2007 model and has done 19,500kms only, so it's still under the new car warranty, but he said, it's different and it needs to be registered on the advantage program to be able to get the reduced service cost.

Thinking he was just telling me fibs, I called another dealer, same answer and same service cost, however he asked for the VIN so he can check that advantage service program registration and my car was on it. He did mumble something about doing a 2 year service instead of the 20,000kms service, as the car is 2 years old. Not sure what was that about and are they punishing owners for not driving cars enough or trying to short-change those who haven't got enough kms on the clock??

The 2 year service is the 40,000kms service, so he basically is suggesting to skip the 20K and 30K service intervals and go straight to the 40K service to still be within warranty due to age of the car.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Yeah your car might be under the Toyota Service Advantage Program. It's basically reduces the cost of the service down to $120 per service for the first 60,000kms (first 6 services). I think it was a scheme to encourage people to buy cars when petrol prices were high and the economical crisis first hit.

I think he might be right though. As in, there are somethings (mainly oil) that should be changed at certain time intervals, even though say the car has not been driven at all. I haven't looked at the 20k and 30k services in the manual and what they recommend to change, but maybe the 20k and 30k services are just minor (i.e. just changing oil/oil filter) and 40k is more of a major?

I got my 17000km service coming up, i'll let you guys know. I dont know about the whole toyota advantage program, dont think im on it, which sucks. I just like to know that whenever my car gets serviced by Toyota, that it is backed by them and genuine and if there is a problem i know about it. They have been good so far with my 10000km first service. Going through dealers/Toyota and getting the whole 'genuine' service is what really costs us. I doubt parts and labour cost that much.

I got my 17000km service coming up, i'll let you guys know. I dont know about the whole toyota advantage program, dont think im on it, which sucks. I just like to know that whenever my car gets serviced by Toyota, that it is backed by them and genuine and if there is a problem i know about it. They have been good so far with my 10000km first service. Going through dealers/Toyota and getting the whole 'genuine' service is what really costs us. I doubt parts and labour cost that much.

corollas dont have 17,000 km service interval, so i'd be checking your dealer to see what its exactly due for by time as well

Toyota advantage is a program where toyota pays half for the service and customer pays the other. Best way to check if your vehicle is on the plan is to ring your dealership and provide them the VIN number. Service on this plan is no different to normal servicing. eg time or kms, which ever comes first (6mths/10000km)

there are also conditions, that alot of ppl get caught out and dont get explained to. Advantage service starts when you purchase your car (delivery date). its 6 months from then or 10000kms which every occurs first. (not eligiable for toyota employees)

eg delivery date 3/9/09, your first 10k service is due either 3/3/2010 or 10k. there is also a buffer of an extra 5000kms on top or 3 months, so u can still do ur 10k service right up to 3/6/2010 or 15000kms. if you 1 day pass 3/6/10 or 1km pass 15000, you pay retail price

Thanks for the replies guys.

Just came back from servicing at the local dealer and was only charged $120.00 for the 2 year service (40,000kms) as my rolla turned-out to be on the advantage program (how lucky) :)

Oh, I asked them if the ZRE has a timing belt or chain, they said it has a timing chain that doesn't need replacement unlike the previous Rolla models. ;)

Thanks for the replies guys.

Just came back from servicing at the local dealer and was only charged $120.00 for the 2 year service (40,000kms) as my rolla turned-out to be on the advantage program (how lucky) :)

Oh, I asked them if the ZRE has a timing belt or chain, they said it has a timing chain that doesn't need replacement unlike the previous Rolla models. ;)

Oh lucky! Saved money. :)

They don't need replacing? Did they explain why? :huh: I'm curious..

They don't need replacing? Did they explain why? :huh: I'm curious..

It's the same with my Nissan X-Trail, it has a timing chain instead of a timing belt and it's basically there for life, all that needs to be done is for the timing chain tensioner to be checked at the 100K service. Most car manufacturers now are moving away from timing belts and fit cars with more reliable timing chains to reduce wear.