Occupations

selyaT

I think whether u go through uni or not...depends on what u want to do in the end......its always been my dream to be a mad scientist.......therefore i don't have much choice but go to uni....

But in the end, it doesn't matter what kind of education u get, as long as you enjoy what u do and have some sort of goal in life.....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Turn?

Failed High School, 3 times now 13 years later I look after all the Assets and Accounts Recievable at a major Public Hospital in Brisbane.?

Also part time house renovator for the out-laws, professional Red Console Lights fitter :P and guest under-carriage detailer on a certain Silver Sportivo.

You aren't the assests and accounts for Dr Patel(aka DR Death :P )hahahahahaha.

But seriously i passed high school(could have done heaps better cause I was actually quite smart) but the lure of the basketball court was TOO much and therfore ended playing basketball 4 nights a week in year 12 as well as tournaments on weekends. A couple of serious injuries bascially crippled my dream job of playing professional basketball so I went straight out and got a job to earn money. Simple. No uni just straight out into the workforce and earn the $$$$.

So far I have worked for K Mart Auto, Lawn mowing /landscaping businesses 3 times, Distributed orange juice for a large OJ company, Pizza Hut(for a bit of fun lol),worked for a Honda/Nissan dealership as a detailer, run my own business doing car detailing for nearly 9 years and now at a School as the head groundskeeper and a sports coach. All this in 15 years and have always found a way to earn a dollar (and spend it ) and this year for the first time I'm going to go back to study to get my horticultural/environmental degree cause it's something I've prolly wanted to do but never had a reason that I could justify.(if I do I'll earn more $$$ :P )

Mmm, Azza is correct in most respects.

However I do think the comment about Uni graduates having "never worked a day in their lives" was a little too rash. Graduates wouldn't be graduates if they didn't have decent work ethic. I understand where you're coming from though because some people are just plain impractical/antisocial despite their mega-IQ. Horses for courses I guess.

Just to clarify what I am referring to there. When I worked for the ATO, I met a bloke that had done 3 odd years of accountance after high school, then did another 2 odd years specialing in taxation, but never held a job while studying (rich parents obviously)...

He hit the Tax Office highly qualified, but not highly skilled. I was employed to do the same job as he was doing, highly skilled and not qualified (as far as I had no degrees of formal training). The result was that he did not succeed to well in his job because at the age of 25odd, he had never been in too many situations where he was required to communicate with people and actually apply any of the knowlege that he had.

I find from my experience with tertiary educated people, is that those that have worked their way through Uni/College/TAFE etc, will succeed better than those that don't. The arrive on the job with work/communication/social skills you can't get from sitting in a library or lecture hall.

It's amazing what working at Maccas or Pizza Hut will do for you while your studying... :P

Haha yeah I worked at KFC B) :P

Car detailing is all about cleaning cars. From doing a cut and polish to leather treatment, shampooing upholstery, cleaning underbody's and engine bays etc etc.

which campus did you go to... im studying accounting....2 yrs left errrr....

madd! im at parra this sem aswell. i was down at campbelltown for a class last sem, but didnt turn up to often haha

well then ill be seein ur rolla at uni then.. ha ha ;)

Car detailing is all about cleaning cars. From doing a cut and polish to leather treatment, shampooing upholstery, cleaning underbody's and engine bays etc etc.

MMM ok! sounds like something i would like! Does it consist of stripping down and fixing up?

But in the end, it doesn't matter what kind of education u get, as long as you enjoy what u do and have some sort of goal in life.....

Couldn't have said it better myself.....

You aren't the assests and accounts for Dr Patel(aka DR Death :P )hahahahahaha.

NO!!!! Wrong hospital...

So far I have worked for K Mart Auto, Lawn mowing /landscaping businesses 3 times, Distributed orange juice for a large OJ company, Pizza Hut(for a bit of fun lol),worked for a Honda/Nissan dealership as a detailer, run my own business doing car detailing for nearly 9 years and now at a School as the head groundskeeper and a sports coach.

mmm, you wanna start counting jobs....

Rink Hand (Lawnton Skating Rink)

Trolley Pusher (Toowong Shopping Centre)

Fruit Picking (Various NSW Country Towns)

Cleaner (Heritage Hotel (Stamford Plaza))

Car Park Attendant/Valet (Wilson Parking - Various Sites)

Computer Trainer (Computer Tuition Business)

Delivery Driver (Pizza Hut)

Salesman (Holden)

Retail Assistant/Sales (Optus)

Retail Assistant/Sales (Brisbane Digital - Vodafone)

Retail Assistant/Sales (Optus World)

Retail Assistant/Sales (Great Southland Communications)

Retail Assistant/Sales (Myer)

Retail Assistant/Sales (Harvey Norman - 3 Stores)

Technical Support (Harvey Norman)

Sales Representative/Merchandising (Retail Marketing)

Customer Service Representative/Technical Support (Hutchison Telecoms/Orange Mobile)

Client Service Representative (Australian Taxation Office)

Administrative Officer - Accounts (Queensland Health)

Administrative Officer - Administrative Support (Queensland Health)

Administrative Officer - Bookings (Queensland Health)

Administrative Officer - Admissions (Queensland Health)

Courier (Queensland Health)

Administrative Officer - Finance (Queensland Health)

Travel Officer (Queensland Health)

Senior Administrative Officer/Executive Support (Queensland Health)

Finance Officer - Assets & Accounts (Queensland Health)

Not bad for 13 years work. Just keep moving on gaining experience until you obtain your goals.... :)

before i was old enough to work legally, i washed cars a an import place (Auto J Mart) around the corner form where i live, they are now at Kangaroo Point. And right from the legal age i have worked at my local supermarket. Week after schoolies had a full time 2IC job and have worked my way up from there. Now i am a Dept. manager of two seperate departments, and I will end up inheriting the family business when my dad retires.

I was given the oppertunity to do an OH&S Officer certificate that work paid for, and i snapped that up.

It shows how on-the-job training is priceless.

Edited by Ashs Red Rolla

Good Work Ash, just shows what hard work can do. What business does your Dad have and what department store are you in???

My dad is in the safety industry, he makes safety signs, pipe markers all that kind of jazz.. He deals with oil refiners, prisons, he handels alot of the public school pools all the kind of safe stuff those places need to be aloud to operate. I work at a Bi-Lo supermarket, manage the bakery section as well as receiving.

As well as all the OH&S stuff.

Edited by Ashs Red Rolla

Knowledge manager Microsoft Australia. Ex UWS student in Comp Science at Penrith

isnt it a bit of an oxymoron to use knowledge and microsoft in the same sentence ? ...... LOL :P :P :P :P :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :D :D :D :D :D :D

just kidding