Occupations

selyaT

secretary in automotive & uni student @ uws

part time work at a supermarket, and also uws student.

which uws do u go 2?

campbelltown campus... going to parra more often this year though. blah... what about you?

Hahaha..so many UWS people in here...

I finished last semester....sukkktttttt innnnnnnn :P :P :D

I am now a Bachelor...haha

I work as an accountant.

which campus did you go to... im studying accounting....2 yrs left errrr....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

secretary in automotive & uni student @ uws

part time work at a supermarket, and also uws student.

which uws do u go 2?

campbelltown campus... going to parra more often this year though. blah... what about you?

Hahaha..so many UWS people in here...

I finished last semester....sukkktttttt innnnnnnn :P :P :D

I am now a Bachelor...haha

I work as an accountant.

which campus did you go to... im studying accounting....2 yrs left errrr....

madd! im at parra this sem aswell. i was down at campbelltown for a class last sem, but didnt turn up to often haha

My Turn?

Failed High School, 3 times now 13 years later I look after all the Assets and Accounts Recievable at a major Public Hospital in Brisbane.?

Also part time house renovator for the out-laws, professional Red Console Lights fitter :P and guest under-carriage detailer on a certain Silver Sportivo.

Exactly. That's why I laugh at anyone that gloats about how well they did at school. Like I said, failed 3 times because I had absolutley no interest in the subjects that they system told me I had to do.

No I am making $45K in a nice Government job.

Thats excellent azza! My father didnt even finish high school. he left at 16 at the time that was year 9 and they were allowed to leave if they wanted he got an apprenticeship and has is own businesses today!

Although a deg is what a majority of companies want today.

I think it's great that people are able to make somethkng out of their lives when they have had a setback like either not finishing, or not doing to well at high school.

I agree that degrees can take you places and are good for particular things (if you know what you want to do). My wife did 3 years of Applied Science and majored in Chemistry with Forensics as a co-major, and walked straight out of high school into a job as a Fire Investigator with an Insurance Loss Adjuster. Since then, she has also studied part time and now has a Certificate in Fire Investigation as well as an Advanced Diploma in Fire Investigation and now she's doing her masters in it this year.

I just see though too many times where people study for 5 years at high school, then do 3, 4 or 5 years at uni/tafe then try and get a job and they have never worked a day in their life. They are probably therefore more unemployable that people that haven't studied.

I think the secret is to know what you want to do, and go for it. All I ever wanted was a government job working with Finance, now I have it and I am happy. I was also fortunate enough to find it in an environment where my boss is a legend, and the people I work with are tops. I ain't leaving for quids...

Moral of the story - if you fail at something, keep trying cause you don't know what your future holds unless your prepared to get off your toosh and look. Sitting on the dole is for loosers....

I absolutely agree AZZA. Great to see you pushed through despite the system ;)

I see a lot of people with potential and they get put down by the school system.

I was told by my high school chemistry teacher not to take science at uni. And I did and passed and got a job in a chemistry lab.

There are a lot of boffins who are smart but not practical. They just don’t make sense in the real world.

Moral of the story - if you fail at something, keep trying cause you don't know what your future holds unless your prepared to get off your toosh and look. Sitting on the dole is for loosers....

Agre azza ..... I also think that the best thing to get anywhere is to do something for nothing....Volunteer!!! do a shietty job..... everyone has to start somewhere...and once you learn that and get over the fact that your not going to leave school and go into a $40K job at the age of 18....all the bette :) (some luky people do though)

Played too much sport at school and left with an OP of 21!!!

now managing a new retail computer store and have 14 staff underneath me :)

briZcom :P

Edited by Danthuyer

When I was in Grade 10, the school new I was due to change schools at about 5 weeks into the new year, so when it came time to pick my subjects for Grade 11, they practically handed me the subjects they wanted me to do because they didn't want me to start the year doing the cool subjects (Shop, Computers etc)and take a place for a few weeks and have someone else who is staying miss out.

Then when I started year 11, I changed schools about 5 - 6 weeks into the school year and was told that the cool subjects I wanted to do were already filled so I had to do crap subjects that I had no interest in. So I completed Grade 12 the first time doing Modern History, SPeech & Drama, Biology & Geography. How's a kid suppoosed to concentrate and learn if he has no interest in what he has in front of him.

When I repeated, they said that because I failed the easier subjects, that I wasn't allowed to do them the second time round, so I had to re-do the ones I had already been doing.

Some incentive to do well hey.

Anyways, enough of the sob stories. Like I said, anyone that had setbacks like that at school, then surpasses the,, good onya... in my opinion, these are the people that will do well.

Remember, Bill Gates (love him or hate him) he was a College Drop Out because he was told he couldn't do the things that he wanted to do. (mmm, maybe that means I'm gonna be rich too :P )

Mmm, Azza is correct in most respects.

However I do think the comment about Uni graduates having "never worked a day in their lives" was a little too rash. Graduates wouldn't be graduates if they didn't have decent work ethic. I understand where you're coming from though because some people are just plain impractical/antisocial despite their mega-IQ. Horses for courses I guess.

Having just completed yr12 I can share some pearls of wisdom regarding the "education system" that have formed in my mind throughout the two years of college.

Basically everything comes down to the people who "tutor", "grade", "discipline", "support", "encourage", and ultimately JUDGE you - Teachers. Doing well at school isn't always about having the correct answer to the question. On several occasions my work contained theories/elements which I knew in my own mind were not entirely accurate, yet the teacher insisted were true. What one must come to realise is that teachers are not the be-all and end-all. They are human, their grades contain an element of emotion. Seldom is a piece of work graded on its merit alone. If the teacher does not like you, you shall not succeed. If your teacher is a bitchy old hag when it comes to marking, your class will have lower marks than the others - despite "moderation". You have to learn how the system works before you can work the system.

At the end of the day, teachers like their "authority" because it makes them feel big or something. But who are they to tell you what you can and can't do? The problem is we have to impress them for us to succeed academically whilst at school. In that respect, school is nothing but a giant gamble.

Mmm, Azza is correct in most respects.

However I do think the comment about Uni graduates having "never worked a day in their lives" was a little too rash. Graduates wouldn't be graduates if they didn't have decent work ethic. I understand where you're coming from though because some people are just plain impractical/antisocial despite their mega-IQ. Horses for courses I guess.

Just to clarify what I am referring to there. When I worked for the ATO, I met a bloke that had done 3 odd years of accountance after high school, then did another 2 odd years specialing in taxation, but never held a job while studying (rich parents obviously)...

He hit the Tax Office highly qualified, but not highly skilled. I was employed to do the same job as he was doing, highly skilled and not qualified (as far as I had no degrees of formal training). The result was that he did not succeed to well in his job because at the age of 25odd, he had never been in too many situations where he was required to communicate with people and actually apply any of the knowlege that he had.

I find from my experience with tertiary educated people, is that those that have worked their way through Uni/College/TAFE etc, will succeed better than those that don't. The arrive on the job with work/communication/social skills you can't get from sitting in a library or lecture hall.

It's amazing what working at Maccas or Pizza Hut will do for you while your studying... :P