?? What type of do I have

5th Gen Convertible

I have two 1992 Celica's. The latest one I have recently purchased is a fully imported from Japan and is a convertible. Hopefully there is a picture as I am not good at this.

The other 1992 liftback I have had for 10 years and just love it. It has SX on it but the convertible has no markings whatsoever on the body of it. I do think it has an engine 3S-GE only by trying to work it out. Not based on anything reliable. The Vin # has ST183 in the it.

The engine has Toyota Twin Cam 16. That is all I can find. There are several features on this car that I do not understand.

1. There is a little sensor on the dash right in the corner of the windscreen on the passenger side.

2. 4WS and 2WS button.

3. Sports and Normal Button

All of the above I do not have on my other car, so they are unfarmilar to me and I am asking for help. I need to say, that I am female and only know how to fill it up with fuel but I am interested in the model etc.

Thanks H

.post-1719-1137587980_thumb.jpg

Edited by 5th Gen Convertible

does the car have climate control? if so i would say thats what the sensor is for.

4WS and 2WS could be four wheel steer and two wheel steer, meaning that whenever you select 4WS all four wheels will turn when the steering wheel is turned. very handy for parking!

Sports and Normal, well i guess its just different modes for the engine, i guess sports is just a little quicker and uses more fuel.

as for the car itself, that model celica in Aus were called ST184 or ST185 for the GT4's. i assume ST183 would be the name of the convertible. celica's in oz came out with 2 engines as far as i know, a 2ltr 3S-GE (3S-GTE in the GT4) and a 2.2ltr 5S-FE. i would assume your other celica has a 5S-FE in it. but if the engine has Toyota Twin Cam 16 on it i would think its only a 1.6ltr engine, and i think i read somewhere that the convertibles in japan did come out with only a 1.6.

so yeah, dont really know too much but i hope thats a start for u.

• 1 month later...

mickey tee, and 'H', the 'twin cam 16' refers to the fact that the car has 2 cams and 16 valves... 4 per cylinder. the st183 is the code for the convertible version of the st184 we commonly see in oz, and i'm almost certain that that model only came out with a 2.2L 5SFE in oz (the 3sge (2nd generation) was avail in other parts of the world), but now that i think about it, i'm not 100% sure that the convertible was avail in oz to begin with (i'm not old enough to remember).

look on the VIN and engine no's for either 5S or 3S and you'll have your answer as to the engine type

if you post a pic, it'll be easy as to tell

• 1 month later...